Moving up to 5w30. How thick is too thick?

On a similar note, any issues with running a thicker oil with VTEC being that it's activated based on pressure? I've got a DI J35, minimal to no fuel dilution issues for me that I'm aware of (the NA units seem to be fine) but I'm also curious about going to a 30 and more wondering if VTEC will be effected.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Any 5W-30 will work fine ... even if it's on the "thicker" side of a 30 weight.

+1

+2

Originally Posted by Strjock81
Does the VTEC work correctly on a January morning in NoDak?

Haven't had the vehicle through a winter yet, and I know it'll still work but wondering if the activation point would perhaps vary slightly. I heat my garage so it'll be warm in the mornings but even starting it after a few hours sitting outside in the cold I'm not about to run it up immediately to the 5,000 RPM-ish area to get VTEC to kick in either.

Originally Posted by kschachn
The only time an oil is truly "too thick" is when the winter rating is inappropriate for the starting conditions and cannot be pumped.

This is EXACTLY right ^^^^^^^^^^^^.

So the VTEC activates at 5K? I've never had my engine up to 5K. What exactly does VTEC do once it engages?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
So the VTEC activates at 5K? I've never had my engine up to 5K. What exactly does VTEC do once it engages?

Usually somewhere in the 5K range. Variable intake or intake and exhaust valve timing for a bump in power.

Originally Posted by tbm5690
On a similar note, any issues with running a thicker oil with VTEC being that it's activated based on pressure? I've got a DI J35, minimal to no fuel dilution issues for me that I'm aware of (the NA units seem to be fine) but I'm also curious about going to a 30 and more wondering if VTEC will be effected.

I run my K20 2010 Si with 0W-40 instead of 5W-30 (its specced here for a 30 but up to a 40 in international markets like Europe and Japan) and there's been no ill effect. If you're unsure, look at what Honda recommends for your engine in markets outside the US - it seems we typically get a thinner recommendation, probably for CAFE or something similar.

Originally Posted by ScottyB
Originally Posted by tbm5690

I run my K20 2010 Si with 0W-40 instead of 5W-30 (its specced here for a 30 but up to a 40 in international markets like Europe and Japan) and there's been no ill effect. If you're unsure, look at what Honda recommends for your engine in markets outside the US - it seems we typically get a thinner recommendation, probably for CAFE or something similar.

And comments about international recommendations have what merit? Because this engine has proven to be a nuisance for Honda in every market. It's been recalled in Europe, China, and North America.

Useful technology.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vtec+explained+&&view=detail&mid=04C9F29F4F6F3996550204C9F29F4F6F39965502&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dvtec%2Bexplained%2B%26FORM%3DVDRESM

Running 0w30 but top off with 5w30. Consumption of oil is nothing now, mpg is better too. I think 5w30 is the heaviest I would go unless it gets nitrous oxide then possible to get a 0w40 if it's on a track / endurance run.

Originally Posted by dave1251
And comments about international recommendations have what merit?

merit based on the fact its known that most manufacturers will allow for different viscosities in markets outside the US. which is obviously useful information if a person was looking to find how thick or thin an oil they could safely use in their engine, for their particular needs.

this engine has proven to be a nuisance for Honda in every market. It's been recalled in Europe, China, and North America.

other than reports of cam galling due to too thin of an oil grade recommended for the low-power K20A3 early in production, the K series has been one of the best engine's Honda's ever made. i'd love to see reports otherwise.

The K20C (2.0t) in OP's car only has VTEC capabilities (lift and timing control) on the exhaust cam. It is used to help spool the turbo. Intake cam is conventional as far as lift goes, but does have variable timing.

What about a 10W30 over a 5W30?

Why would some want to go thinner at operation temperature?

I keep reading about fuel dilution. Won't a 10W be a stronger oil per se via thicker base oil over a 0w and 5W?

huh? I'm confused..

Originally Posted by dubber09

huh? I'm confused..

Look at the KV100 between some 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils.

I keep reading about fuel dilution. Won't a 10W be a stronger oil per se via thicker base oil over a 0w and 5W?

I'd think fuel dilution is fuel dilution. X% of fuel by volume added to Y volume of oil would be the same amount of fuel dilution and viscosity decrease if both oils had the same KV100 to start with.

Back