List Impossible Sparkplug Replacement

There needs to be a list of cars requiring Engine disassembly or engine removal to replace sparkplugs. First one I encountered was the Pinto re badged as a mustang with V8. You had to unbolt a motor mount and jack up the engine to replace them on one side. Late 70's or early 80's.

That would be a pretty long list... many transverse V6 would fall under that category, for sure. Off hand, two I remember - GM 3800s are very tight, so many people unbolt a motor mount and tip the engine forward. Tthe Sienna's 2GR-FE back plugs are completely hidden; the intake manifold usually comes off to replace them.

My Toyota 3.0 1MZ-FE required removal of the intake manifold to get to the back plugs. Made for a long weekend for a shade tree mechanic.

Originally Posted by TmanP
That would be a pretty long list... many transverse V6 would fall under that category, for sure. Off hand, two I remember - GM 3800s are very tight, so many people unbolt a motor mount and tip the engine forward. Tthe Sienna's 2GR-FE back plugs are completely hidden; the intake manifold usually comes off to replace them.

I've found W-bodies with the 3800 to be pretty easy actually. It's pretty much any GM car with the 2.8, 3.1, 3100, 3400 60 degree v6's that usually require a special tool to tip the engine forward. Unless the 3800 you are speaking of was in a minivan? Those are never easy.

My personal contribution would be my 94 camaro with the Lt1. When it had stock exhaust manifolds (they are above the plugs), AIR injection plumbing, they were pretty tough to get to. My first plug change it was obvious that the #8 plug (passenger side rear) had never been changed, due to the other 7 being a obviously newer AC Delco's. removing the starter and getting it from below the car was pretty much a requirement.

In contrast, now that the emission equipment is gone, has long tube headers, its about a 30-45 minute job.

Just did my the plugs in my wifes Escape V6. Once the upper intake plenum is removed, the back plugs are easy to get to. Removing the intake plenum becomes much easier after you do it once or twice, non issue really. Just remember to replace the plenum and EGR gaskets. And try not to break the assortment of 10 year old, 160k miles heat cycled plastic clips.
09.gif

Originally Posted by Tman220

I've found W-bodies with the 3800 to be pretty easy actually. It's pretty much any GM car with the 2.8, 3.1, 3100, 3400 60 degree v6's that usually require a special tool to tip the engine forward. Unless the 3800 you are speaking of was in a minivan? Those are never easy.

My personal contribution would be my 94 camaro with the Lt1. When it had stock exhaust manifolds (they are above the plugs), AIR injection plumbing, they were pretty tough to get to. My first plug change it was obvious that the #8 plug (passenger side rear) had never been changed, due to the other 7 being a obviously newer AC Delco's. removing the starter and getting it from below the car was pretty much a requirement.

In contrast, now that the emission equipment is gone, has long tube headers, its about a 30-45 minute job.

I agree with my 94 Camaro LT1 . I changed the wires and distributor at the same time as the plugs. The next time at approx. 60 k the hesitation started and needed new distributor The car was sold instead.

if i remember right, if you used some certain aftermarket headers on a Ford 302 with GT40 heads, you couldn't remove the plugs, at all, without dropping the headers. now that would suck!

Originally Posted by another Todd
I could never replace the spark plus on any diesel I have ever owned...I could never find them!
grin.gif

Too busy looking for the muffler bearings?!?

Almost every transverse V6, and minivans are the worst!
One of the only exceptions I know of is the 4th gen Maxima 95-99 - it has cutouts in the intake to access the rear plugs
happy2.gif

4th gen Camaro/Firebird
Ford Aerostar
Full-size vans where half the engine is under the windshield
Subaru DOHC engines (wide engine in a narrow car)

In any of these applications, iridium is a MUST! Or even ruthenium, if they make them for your car

Tthe Sienna's 2GR-FE back plugs are completely hidden; the intake manifold usually comes off to replace them.

This is why I like the 4-cylinder SIenna
smile.gif

Originally Posted by another Todd
I could never replace the spark plus on any diesel I have ever owned...I could never find them!
grin.gif

Mine always looked like glow plugs...

AMC Pacer six-cylinder. Last two cylinders of the engine are in a firewall depression that extends under the dashboard. Those plugs are bad enough, I don't even want to think about having to replace a head gasket or even valve cover gasket. (The Pacer was designed around a compact GM rotary engine that was never produced.)

Back