BMW Diesels

In general interested in LL-04 and LL-12 FE for a BMW 328d F31. It seems that LL-04 is disappearing, with the Mobil 1 oil selector giving me 0 products that 'officially' would work. In the meantime the 5QT jug of Pennzoil Euro 5w30 L from Walmart is the best deal out there, if not the only choice. It seems like the on paper spec is stifling in choice, and makes the BobIsTheOilGuy debate that much more interesting or boring depending on the personality.

In general would you guys think any ESP formula would be acceptable in an out of warranty situation? HDEO, or Corvette Spec 0w40 ESP?

It is a bit odd that my diesel (even if tiny and eco focused) will be with the thinest oil out of the fleet, but if it meets spec it meets spec. If there are conspiracies with CAFE ... etc perhaps that could be part of it. Finding LL-04 or any follow on spec (LL-12 FE) in anything above a 30 weight is difficult at this time. N47 engine used to be known for timing chain issues and sensitivities to longer OCIs, but seems like the later revisions are okay. If a reliable on sale oil is had, 5k OCIs will doable. Unsure how often the 5qt jug of 5w30 L Pennzoil is offered at 23 bucks! Hopefully for decades.

I would use C3 oil. The Pennzoil is fine, Mobil1 ESP is good too I'm not sure why it doesn't carry LL04. Total Ineo Long Life is good oil too on Amazon for $38, but the Pennzoil is way cheaper and probably makes more sense.

Easy.. Pennzoil with the bmw LL04 approval. And dont worry about the engine, some had the timing chain issue but they have fix it.

Well even the B58 300+ hp I6 BMW gas engines run 20w oils.

Do the BMW dealerships no longer carry LL04 5w30? Btw..5k mile oci is incredibly short on an diesel running ULSD.

Last edited:
My local NAPA store sells a variety of Liqui Moly products, one of which has Longlife-04 approval and is reasonably priced. They always try and sell the brand to me when they see my old BMW.

You can ignore the grade designation if it has the approval since it has to meet a minimum HTHS.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Well even the B58 300+ hp I6 BMW gas engines run 20w oils.

Do the BMW dealerships no longer carry LL04 5w30? Btw..5k mile oci is incredibly short on an diesel running ULSD.

Noted, I can go the full 10k if other folks have had good luck there. If the spec is robust!

Originally Posted by kschachn
My local NAPA store sells a variety of Liqui Moly products, one of which has Longlife-04 approval and is reasonably priced. They always try and sell the brand to me when they see my old BMW.

You can ignore the grade designation if it has the approval since it has to meet a minimum HTHS.

Ah good ol NAPA and their German supplies. I had not considered Liqui Moly. If LL-04 / LL-12 FE spec a decent HTHS, I agree.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Easy.. Pennzoil with the bmw LL04 approval. And dont worry about the engine, some had the timing chain issue but they have fix it.

Not really worried. I suspect the High Pressure Fuel Pump and maybe the DPF solution are the only worries. I do want to keep this car forever. I doubt we'll see another BMW Wagon in the US. It is a beautiful car, great for winter, and 45 MPG ....

Originally Posted by Trix
Ah good ol NAPA and their German supplies. I had not considered Liqui Moly. If LL-04 / LL-12 FE spec a decent HTHS, I agree.

For Longlife-04 approval the HTHS must be greater than or equal to 3.5.

Those DPF standards go like...

ACEA Cx (usually it is C3) as a "base"

And then every carmaker adds something on top of it...

If you are using the "holly thrinity" specs (aka VW-MB-BMW) you really have nothing to worry about...

So if you cant get LL-04.....use MB 229.51/229.52 or VW 504/507 instead...

Range goes from VW as toughes to MB and BMW....

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

In general interested in LL-04 and LL-12 FE for a BMW 328d F31. It seems that LL-04 is disappearing, with the Mobil 1 oil selector giving me 0 products that 'officially' would work. In the meantime the 5QT jug of Pennzoil Euro 5w30 L from Walmart is the best deal out there, if not the only choice. It seems like the on paper spec is stifling in choice, and makes the BobIsTheOilGuy debate that much more interesting or boring depending on the personality.

In general would you guys think any ESP formula would be acceptable in an out of warranty situation? HDEO, or Corvette Spec 0w40 ESP?

It is a bit odd that my diesel (even if tiny and eco focused) will be with the thinest oil out of the fleet, but if it meets spec it meets spec. If there are conspiracies with CAFE ... etc perhaps that could be part of it. Finding LL-04 or any follow on spec (LL-12 FE) in anything above a 30 weight is difficult at this time. N47 engine used to be known for timing chain issues and sensitivities to longer OCIs, but seems like the later revisions are okay. If a reliable on sale oil is had, 5k OCIs will doable. Unsure how often the 5qt jug of 5w30 L Pennzoil is offered at 23 bucks! Hopefully for decades.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 is very similar to what SOPUS supplies to BMW (BMW TPT 5W30 LL04).
Online you have numerous LL04 options, 5W30 and 5W40.
This one is one of the better ones on the paper and it is pretty affordable on Amazon:
https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/8100-x-clean-5w30--2
Motul Amazon

You can get Castrol:
Castrol Edge 5W30 C3

Not a BMW but on my Benz E320 CDI I use Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 and it meets MB 229.31 and above. Engine doesn't sounds angry.

I run the full 10K (sometimes a bit over) on my X3d, using PP Euro L 5w30. Easy to find, cheap to buy.

Originally Posted by andreigbs
I run the full 10K (sometimes a bit over) on my X3d, using PP Euro L 5w30. Easy to find, cheap to buy.

Yeah, you cannot go cheaper than that for LL04.

Perhaps next OC cycle I'll use PP Euro L in both, since it carries 229.51 and LL04. I think it's a great oil and quite easy to find locally for a great price. The fact that it comes in handy 5L jugs is also good. That M1 ESP is quite a bit more expensive.
I've been tempted to run a great HDEO like Rotella T6 in both and call it a day, but when the prices for the correct spec stuff is basically the same, why bother?

I am content with PP Euro L. Right now it is still available cheaply, if that remains static I am happy. If LL-04 remains relevant that is also helpful. TBH, I wonder if I could run the Euro L in my other vehicles (GTI?). The new GTI requires with VW 508 (which is lower SAPs I think?) and a very similar if not the same EA888. Either way I can share oil with my 911 and VW, or BMW and VW. I'll always need two sets of oil.

I am content with PP Euro L. Right now it is still available cheaply, if that remains static I am happy. If LL-04 remains relevant that is also helpful. TBH, I wonder if I could run the Euro L in my other vehicles (GTI?). The new GTI requires with VW 508 (which is lower SAPs I think?) and a very similar if not the same EA888. Either way I can share oil with my 911 and VW, or BMW and VW. I'll always need two sets of oil.

VW 504/507 would be a close equivalent to LL04 as they are both ACEA C3.

VW 508 is C5 or something. Basically a 20w with a hths under 3.5

Last edited:

You can run Euro L in GTI with no problems.

Hi guys... See...
M1 ESP ... Does VW504/507 last update 2020, DAIMLER 229.51, 229.52 2018... and LL04 from 2018... Soo all VW and MB specs and properties are much advanced vs LL004...
M1 does all... the same does C2 too... A very intelligent and delicate pack of addictives... and the base is strong...

Soo de M1 still the best... Buuut there are others very very good...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210319-212323_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210319-212323_Chrome.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 27
Hi guys... See...
M1 ESP ... Does VW504/507 last update 2020, DAIMLER 229.51, 229.52 2018... and LL04 from 2018... Soo all VW and MB specs and properties are much advanced vs LL004...
M1 does all... the same does C2 too... A very intelligent and delicate pack of addictives... and the base is strong...

Soo de M1 still the best... Buuut there are others very very good...
BMW did update in 2018. And this comparison tool is not really intended to compare it in such a way.

You can run Euro L in GTI with no problems.

The Euro L should work fine but it won't have the 508 tracer dye in it, if warranty is still in play.

In regards of LL04 vs LL12FE,what I dont get is how oil manage to have both? I have also diesel BMW requiring LL04,and so far I used 5w30, now considering switch to 0w oil.I found Mannol as best buy, and every 0w30 from their product range have 12FE beside LL04 (and of cours other from holly trinity).
I mean I understand that 12FE is requiring HTHS 2,9 or higher, while LL04 3,5 or higher, but so far my understanding was that the pount of FE oil is to have lower HTHS then 3,5..
By logic this oil should have min 3,5 hths, but whats bother me is the 12fe approval/recomendation. I also get the point of "higher", just I dont see how they manage to make FE oil with 3,5 HTHS. Do anybody have idea how is this possible?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210611-091405_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210611-091405_Chrome.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 16
Back