Do you tell the dealer of "hidden" issues when trading in your car?

Dealer? Nope. Private seller? Yup.

Bought the Genesis last December and traded in my 15' Sonata. The window switch was bad for the driver, the passenger window didn't go up (it would go down). Passenger door switch worked fine. They inspected the car and didn't find anything wrong. Cheap switch to replace (Carfax shows they replaced it).

They didn't tell me about the sunroof on the Genesis being slow as molasses. Might need replacement, at thousands of dollars. I've only opened it once. Fortunately I bought an overpriced extended warranty and will take it in sometime this summer. Luckily I hate sunroofs, so even after it's fixed, I'll probably never use it.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
For a dealer, I won't say anything negative unprompted.

For a private buyer, I'll make sure they're aware of all major issues.

For a friend, I'll tell them EVERYTHING.

No matter who it is, I will never lie -- ever.

Same.

If a dealer is not able to accurately determine the value of a vehicle by their assessment, then it is not my fault.
It's not like if you tell the dealer the transmission is going out, they will replace the transmission before selling it to the next person.
They will pass the buck on to the next person, with you getting less money.
Win-win for the dealer, lose-lose for the seller/buyer.
If you buy a used car from a dealer, know what you need to look at, or get a private inspection.

When we traded in my mom's Saturn last year, we actually got a signed value trade in on the vehicle sight unseen. I knew the A/C needed replacement (it worked, but barely), as well as needing struts/shocks replaced.
I knew all the dealer was going to do was send it directly to auction without even looking at it, they were not going to waste a penny on trying to sell a 13 yr old vehicle with 150,000+ miles on it. I got more than I could have selling it private, and did not have to deal with the hassle of selling.

In 1991 I turned in a 1989 Chevy wagon company car with 115k to the dealer where I was picking up my next company car. This car developed a problem that if you used the cruise control the car would accelerate fully and you could not stop the acceleration until you stopped and turned off the car for 5 to 10 minutes. Chevy dealers could not or would not fix it. I drove it the last 25K without using the cruise control and had no problems. I told the guy that was inspecting it about the problem and he did not even write it down. He was just interested in scratches and dents. I felt bad about that one because most folks don't know how to handle a sudden acceleration like that.

To a dealer I won't tell them unless it's an obvious issue. I know some dealers here use multiple auto history checks with the least amount of issues reported so the car looks fine.

To a private seller yes. Carfax didn't show all the accidents on the Evo when I sold it privately but I still told the buyer everything.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

They didn't tell me about the sunroof on the Genesis being slow as molasses. Might need replacement, at thousands of dollars. I've only opened it once. Fortunately I bought an overpriced extended warranty and will take it in sometime this summer. Luckily I hate sunroofs, so even after it's fixed, I'll probably never use it.

Get some white lithium grease and lube it. Not a bad idea to do so annually.

Every car I have ever traded, I get asked the same questions by every dealer:

"Why are you trading?"
"Did you buy it new originally?"
"Has the car ever been in an accident? If yes, how much were the repairs?"
"Are there any mechanical problems with the car?"

My typical answers are:
"I am bored with this one and want something different."
"Yes I bought it new" or "No, I purchased it used"
"No accidents" or "Yes, repairs done at a certified shop and covered by insurance"
"No, it has been running just fine!"

I have never had a dealer NOT ask me these questions. They all have.

I have also had appraisers confront me. One time I was trading in a Pontiac Grand Prix that was only 6 months old. Wanted something else and I was in a position to be able to do it. Appraiser comes over to me and says "The front end has been repaired". I said, "Really? That's news to me. I bought the car brand new 6 months ago and it has never been in an accident." Appraiser says "It has been in an accident and it was repaired. I can tell by the texture, shade, and luster of the paint on the front end. Perhaps it was damaged in transit and the dealer repaired it before selling it, but it has been in an accident and has been repaired."

When I traded my previous car 5 years ago, the appraiser said "Your car is in great shape, and even has new tires on it! We will be able to put it on our pre-owned lot with virtually no prep. Makes things really easy!" The tires that were on the car had 40,000 miles on them and were certainly not new.

My parents had a trade appraiser tell them flat-out one time "It doesn't matter how well you care for your car, what it looks like, or how many miles are on it. Trade value is always based on what I can sell it for at auction if I can't sell it on the pre-owned lot."

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by Nick1994

Get some white lithium grease and lube it. Not a bad idea to do so annually.
Thanks, I was thinking of doing that, will still wait as if I have trouble with it closing, I don't have time to take it in right now.

Originally Posted by Whammo
Do you tell the dealer about all the issues that you know about your car or do you let them find them themselves in their assessment? I have some things that only make noise sometimes and I was wondering if I should tell them about these issues or not. I don't want some call 2 days later asking why I didn't tell them the AC goes hot after about 10 minutes on the freeway

Hahahahhaaa.....good one. Do you think the dealer would tell you of issues? I suppose maybe, if they are concerned you'll be back complaining.....

Originally Posted by ryster

"Why are you trading?"

My typical answers are:
"No accidents" or "Yes, repairs done at a certified shop and covered by insurance"

I have also had appraisers confront me. One time I was trading in a Pontiac Grand Prix that was only 6 months old. Wanted something else and I was in a position to be able to do it. Appraiser comes over to me and says "The front end has been repaired". I said, "Really? That's news to me. I bought the car brand new 6 months ago and it has never been in an accident." Appraiser says "It has been in an accident and it was repaired. I can tell by the texture, shade, and luster of the paint on the front end. Perhaps it was damaged in transit and the dealer repaired it before selling it, but it has been in an accident and has been repaired."

When I traded my previous car 5 years ago, the appraiser said "Your car is in great shape, and even has new tires on it! We will be able to put it on our pre-owned lot with virtually no prep. Makes things really easy!" The tires that were on the car had 40,000 miles on them and were certainly not new.

My parents had a trade appraiser tell them flat-out one time "It doesn't matter how well you care for your car, what it looks like, or how many miles are on it. Trade value is always based on what I can sell it for at auction if I can't sell it on the pre-owned lot."

I've traded cars to Audi, Mazda, Lexus, Toyota, Acura and Suburu all over New England and have never been asked straight up has the car been in any accidents. Clean Carfax - Is it in good condition - does everything work - but that's it. I just assumed as long as the car looks good and runs well they didn't want to know either so they could sell it for more. It's not like they couldn't tell - traded a 2011 Honda Pilot that had been T-boned and needed $18K in repairs to Audi who gave me over book value. You could easily see the plastic wheel well clips on one side were different than the other side. It was also raining that day so they didn't see the huge happy face that one of my kids drew on the driver's door with a rock but it was all there for them to see.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by philipp10
Do you tell the dealer about all the issues that you know about your car or do you let them find them themselves in their assessment? I have some things that only make noise sometimes and I was wondering if I should tell them about these issues or not. I don't want some call 2 days later asking why I didn't tell them the AC goes hot after about 10 minutes on the freeway

Hahahahhaaa.....good one. Do you think the dealer would tell you of issues? I suppose maybe, if they are concerned you'll be back complaining.....

I don't know why we get laughed at for honest questions. Like one of the previous posters mentioned, most dealers do ask if there are any issues with the car and I'm wondering if you really lie about them?

I don't know why we get laughed at for honest questions. Like one of the previous posters mentioned, most dealers do ask if there are any issues with the car and I'm wondering if you really lie about them?

Sorry I was trying to be a smart [censored]. I just know that plenty of dealers would NOT tell you if a car had issues....

Sorry I was trying to be a smart [censored]. I just know that plenty of dealers would NOT tell you if a car had issues....funny thing is, I am too hponest to lie myself and would probably spill the beans.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Originally Posted by ryster

"Why are you trading?"

My typical answers are:

I've traded cars to Audi, Mazda, Lexus, Toyota, Acura and Suburu all over New England and have never been asked straight up has the car been in any accidents. Clean Carfax - Is it in good condition - does everything work - but that's it. I just assumed as long as the car looks good and runs well they didn't want to know either so they could sell it for more. It's not like they couldn't tell - traded a 2011 Honda Pilot that had been T-boned and needed $18K in repairs to Audi who gave me over book value. You could easily see the plastic wheel well clips on one side were different than the other side. It was also raining that day so they didn't see the huge happy face that one of my kids drew on the driver's door with a rock but it was all there for them to see.

Interesting. One dealer around here has a logbook you have to fill out when trading in a car. One of the questions in the logbook the customer has to answer is "Has your vehicle had body repairs in excess of $750?" Not sure why $750 is a magic number, but they ask outright.

If the car has a lot of squeaks and rattles I don't bother mentioning it. Likewise, the appraiser can see any cosmetic issues so I don't bother with those either. They can also see if the check engine light is on, so I don't bother bringing it to their attention if that is the case.

My current vehicle is reaching the point where it is going to start having all kinds of little issues start to go wrong with it. The suspension is starting to make more noise, I had to add refrigerant to the AC system the other day, the interior is rattling more and more. It is just aging. I would like to get something different and will probably start looking around. The goal is to trade what I have before having a 4-figure repair bill for something expensive, and getting stuck having to fix it just to trade it in a few weeks later. The car buying process is just horrible, and I dread it, but at least it is only every 5-6 years.

No, they will likely not care (assuming nobody tells) and will low ball you instead.

Private sales on the other hand is a bit different, I would not lie about obvious issues.

I've only traded once and decided to never again trade after seeing what the posted as the selling price when they listed it. My vehicle was so clean, they didn't even need to detail it. Tires was the only issue. I now sell my vehicles outright (which rarely happens), which is a major PIA, but worth the $4k I lost on the trade.

Originally Posted by svtrit
I've only traded once and decided to never again trade after seeing what the posted as the selling price when they listed it. My vehicle was so clean, they didn't even need to detail it. Tires was the only issue. I now sell my vehicles outright (which rarely happens), which is a major PIA, but worth the $4k I lost on the trade.

Are you sure the dealer sold it at the price on the window? They might have only made 3k or even 2k after haggling. Never mind the fact that they aren't a charity and have to pay taxes and whatnot.

Back