General thoughts on high milage oils.

Two diesel engines and a rear axle? Okay but still it's still not a plethora of typical gasoline engines. Wouldn't you agree that the majority of the UOA presented here can not distinguish between shear and fuel dilution.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Two diesel engines and a rear axle? Okay but still it's still not a plethora of typical gasoline engines. Wouldn't you agree that the majority of the UOA presented here can not distinguish between shear and fuel dilution.

No I don't agree at all. Mutiple labs show minimal fuel dilution and in some applications with no fuel at all there is shear often into the next lower grade just like Blackstone on a DI gas engine. Diesel engines and gears were chosen because not only where different labs used but the viscosity loss was similar to UOA's from gas engines but diesel does not have same adverse effect as gas per volume. Of course there is no fuel gear differentials.

You haven't the more VII's used in the PCMO the more viscosity loss the is the rule not the exception in similar duty cycles. This site is full of members looking for problems while focusing on a single aspect not looking at the large view. There was once upon a time there were members who could through knowledge, training, and experience who would explain with a lot more detail and expertise what happened and how. More importantly he/she would explain more often than not unless a very unique and special set of circumstances happened there is not to worry about. Also if the one very unique circumstance occurred the equivalent of a perro marking territory we use to "solve," perceive, and, or prevent problem with motor oil is like marking territory to control a fire. It provides a very ineffective and temporary solution.

It's rather funny you were provided statements from tribologists and SAE studies in my prior post but you want to argue facts with vague accusations of inaccurate UOA data.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Castrol EDGE High Mileage
VALVOLINEâ„¢ FULL SYNTHETIC HIGH MILEAGE WITH MAXLIFEâ„¢ TECHNOLOGY MOTOR OIL
SuperTech High Mileage
AmazonBasics 5w30 - Best New Engine High Mileage Oil

Are a few High Mileage oils which have at least a 3.0 GPA.

Well you should quit buying low quality high school dropouts of Motor Oil such as Mobil One High Mileage and Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage. Them drop outs can not even obtain the GPA to become DEXOS certified.

House Brands such as Super Tech, Napa, Federated, O'Reilly's, Proline, Car Quest, Kirkland, Quick Trip, Prime Guard, and phone book of others reach the honor roll.

Pennzoil and Mobil HM are dropouts or have other academic deficiencies.

Are they M1 HM and PP HM really not that great?

Seems like both usually get good marks from folks around here

Originally Posted by Hogwash

His comments have no technical merit whatsoever.

ksc
Then 97.3% of us have no technical merit here. That's how many members here are either real name-less and/or faceless. Heck, a majority won't reveal the city where they live. Many won't reveal state or country either. You want their first names or initials?..... forget that also. Does their member profile contain a real email address?...... whoops..... sorry..... out of luck there too.

Want the genuine article?......... not on the internet messageboards / forums.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Hogwash

His comments have no technical merit whatsoever.

I use M1 HM 5/30 in my daughter's '10 Yaris....which I believe was originally spec'd for SM. And at some point down the road I may use it in my '15 Tacoma 4.0. The Taco is spec'd for SN.

M1 HM is SN/SN Plus rated. Should I even be concerned that it's not Dexos approved? I wouldn't think so. But I'm hardly an expert on the matter.

Back