Battery powered 1/2 inch impact wrench

Originally Posted by RyanY
It's amazing how many lesser-known branded 1/2 impacts are available on Amazon, and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Assuming these tools really do perform as advertised and are reasonably durable, I would hesitate to buy them because they lack batteries that are compatible with other tools. I prefer to have one or two chargers for all my tools instead of 5 chargers for 5 tools. Of course, this is not to say that well-known brands won't change battery technology in the future, at which point durability is moot and a serviceable tool is tossed to the trash.

I am dealing with that right now...my aging 18V DeWalt set includes a drill, 1/4 impact, and circular saw with two compatible chargers and three batteries. One of the batteries is great (Li-Ion), and the other two (NiCad) die after a few cuts with the saw. New 18V Li-Ion batteries cost nearly as much as a new 20V max tool/battery combo, so I don't plan to replace batteries but, instead, will just give the bare tools away or chuck them when the time comes. Therefore, if I were just buying a single tool (as the OP is), I would not be entirely against a lesser brand as long as it performs as advertised. The key point here is whether the tool performs as advertised...if not, Amazon has a great return policy.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...5D-L4ezJbQaApd3EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Originally Posted by BlakeB
Originally Posted by RyanY
It's amazing how many lesser-known branded 1/2 impacts are available on Amazon, and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Assuming these tools really do perform as advertised and are reasonably durable, I would hesitate to buy them because they lack batteries that are compatible with other tools. I prefer to have one or two chargers for all my tools instead of 5 chargers for 5 tools. Of course, this is not to say that well-known brands won't change battery technology in the future, at which point durability is moot and a serviceable tool is tossed to the trash.

I am dealing with that right now...my aging 18V DeWalt set includes a drill, 1/4 impact, and circular saw with two compatible chargers and three batteries. One of the batteries is great (Li-Ion), and the other two (NiCad) die after a few cuts with the saw. New 18V Li-Ion batteries cost nearly as much as a new 20V max tool/battery combo, so I don't plan to replace batteries but, instead, will just give the bare tools away or chuck them when the time comes. Therefore, if I were just buying a single tool (as the OP is), I would not be entirely against a lesser brand as long as it performs as advertised. The key point here is whether the tool performs as advertised...if not, Amazon has a great return policy.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...5D-L4ezJbQaApd3EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thx. I strongly considered that adapter, but then realized that the relatively cheap $33 adapter is just the start. I would then need 20V batteries, a charger, and possibly a second set for those times when I am using two tools for a project (constantly switching batteries is less than ideal). The overall cost would be about $150 (https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...p_sem_mobile-_-206525714-_-206526033-_-N) and just not worth it when I can buy the 2-tool DeWalt kit with two batteries for $50 more (https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...ies-1-3Ah-and-Charger-DCK278C2/308067489). If I decide to go this route, I would keep my current saw with the working 18V until it dies. The problem is that I would still be left with two chargers (plus another for a B&D hedge trimmer). Still thinking about this...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Zebra312
Just sell or give away what you have, and start fresh. Its absolutely worth it.

That's the direction I'm leaning toward. As soon as I decide which line to start fresh with...

Originally Posted by greenjp
I'm curious to hear how that no name tool works out for you. I'm eyeballing the Makita Trav linked to, while perusing Amazon there is a direct copy of it with some no name brand that not only looks 99% identical, but actually uses Makita batteries. It's like a worker at the Makita plant (unfortunately some of their stuff is made in China rather than Japan) sneaked out with the plans and started making his own.

jeff

For $30 on Ebay(China 520nm cloneTianhu Tools ) couple years back it's built solid not cheap. I was surprised what I had purchase for $30 wow. Have no regrets with the purchase it's built like a tank.

For home usage it's a great bargain.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...ery-3-0Ah-Charger-DCF880BW230C/312975582

So after much thinking, I decided to not get the impact on Amazon and waited. As of tonight, this is my choice from Home Depot.

That's a great deal for $139! I suggest you order it now...HD sales are often available for only a day or two before they raise the price $20 or 30.

Edit: I see that the 1/4" is also on sale in a kit for $129, in case anyone is looking for this size (I use the 1/4 daily).

Last edited:
There is also the Ridgid for $179 which I think I am going to get. Has 620 ft lb remove power, 400 something fastening power. Brushless, Octane, 4 amp battery and charger.

Buy once, cry once. https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2767-20

I have a Milwaukee 2767-20 that has 1450 ft lbs of breakaway torque. I daresay it will take apart ANYTHING on a car or light truck. I've done crank bolts off in 20 seconds; makes light work of a harmonic balancer change out. It'll eat Makitas and Kobalts for lunch without breaking a sweat. Wish I'd had it 20 years ago.

It will give you self confidence working on a car or light truck.

I bought this one at HD last week and it is a beast. Only have used it on some lug nuts/tire rotations. Be careful with the settings and adjust as needed.

Finally used mine to change out about 7 anode rods. The Milwaukee 2767 just blasted them out like nothing. Didn't even bother with Kroil on the last few. I've got a few water heaters that are 18-20 years old now. We'll see how much longer they will last. Usually something else goes on them like the burner, thermostat or thermocouple.

I use a M12 stubby 3/8" drive daily, While it's a nice gun......NO way it puts out 250 ft lbs. It's only a little stronger than my Snap-on 14.4v 3/8" drive impact that advertises 120 ft lbs. I'd guess the M12 puts out around 150-160 ft lbs.

Reactions: JC1
Whats the usage? thats a rather weak impact for 1/2" drive

my m12 stubby has 66% more torque for example.

After changing my mind 100-times I got a Makita 1/2 inch impact wrench on Amazon. 🥴

Reactions: JC1
Back