GM 10L80 Issues

Knowing this is a very common transmission, I am hoping BITOG can help out. I have a 2019 Yukon Denali with 2200 miles, that we bought the end of March. I know the prior version, the 8 speed, had issues, but I haven't seen many complaints about the 10 speed. I am having jerking issues, and it is holding gears when decelerating, causing the vehicle to actually slow down rather than coast.

It's the worst when coming to a stop, but not actually stopping, like slowing down to a line of traffic that is just starting to move from a green light. Once you move from the brakes to the gas in a 4-5mph roll, it feels like there is slack in the driveline that goes away, and creates a jerk. Along with that, when going 30mph or so, and taking my foot off the gas, the transmission holds the gear, at even up to 2k RPM or so, causing the truck to slow down, rather than coast. It doesn't go to the next higher gear like other vehicles, and when stepping back on the gas it does a jerk as well, as mentioned above. Finally, if I am coming to a quick stop, such as a light going to yellow, the transmission does a jerk right before the truck comes to a stop, like the truck was in gear for too long and the transmission finally released way too late.

Has there been a TSB on this, or has anyone else experienced this?

Take it the dealer, maybe there is software update. Who knows now-a-days with electronic slush boxes??? Somethings wrong.....

The vehicle has 2200 miles on it? Why are you asking an Internet forum for help? What could anyone of us possibly tell you that would help in this situation?

Use the warranty, take it to the dealership...unless it's stolen...I'd advise against going to the dealership if it's hot.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
The vehicle has 2200 miles on it? Why are you asking an Internet forum for help? What could anyone of us possibly tell you that would help in this situation?

Use the warranty, take it to the dealership...unless it's stolen...I'd advise against going to the dealership if it's hot.

I agree, easiest solution, but I am always a bit leery of dealerships, just because of the potential for damage. Every time I have had a vehicle worked on by a dealer something has gone wrong. Paint scratches, greasy fingerprints on the interior, etc. Always try to solve it myself if I can, or at least be informed when I get to the dealership if there is a known solution.

I believe that this is the 10 speed automatic(RWD/4WD) transmission is the GM/Ford co-developed tranny used in a variety of GM & Ford trucks as well as the Camaro & Mustang.

I believe that each customer's complaint is slightly different, as it should be. We each drive slightly differently from one another.

There have been a number of customer complaints(or comments like yours) about this tranny. Not that the tranny has been a problem(although there could be), it's just that the tranny may not feel as dialed in as one would think..or expect for such a co-developed unit.

Comments such as, shifting too soon from one gear to the next(probably for fuel economy) or, just the opposite; holding onto a gear(s) too long...depending on throttle input and/or hill grade.

And there are other comments such as, jerking(as you mention) or the tranny not knowing what gear it should be in and doing lot of hunting between gears...again, depending on throttle input and/or, hill grade.

My buddy has thit 10 spd tranny in his new Ford F-150 4wd(3.55:1 diff) and has mentioned about his tranny doing lots of hunting between gears. He hasn't mentioned other issues with the tranny however, he may over time as the computer learns his driving style/habits.

Also, as one youtuber mentions.
This tranny has so many ratios that, if you're driving gently, the tranny will actually skip gears. If you're starting from a dead stop, it'll start in 1st, skip 2nd and go to 3rd, skip 4th and go into 5th etc.

So, there is a lot going on with this tranny. However, this youtuber also mentions that, if you're carrying a heavy load while climbing a hill, the tranny always know what gear to be in...in his experience.

Watch the drive section of this video at 13:33 min into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phwIkjMgo3g

Last edited:
My 6L80e does not have that hold a gear compression brake feel … but my ZF8 does.
Agree about the dealership … but for relative comparison a vehicle specific site might be better.

My dad had a lot of issues with the 8 speed in his 2015 - which were solved via a software update. I would check with your dealer and see if any updates are available for yours.

There is a software update. This is the 3rd or 4th update and will take care of your issues. Also, the more miles you put on it the more it will learn and adapt to your driving style. Good luck with the truck and thank you for purchasing one of "my" vehicles from my Arlington Texas plant. The old 8 speed was troublesome but the 10 speed is much improved.

My observation is if you drive like an engineer or test driver you will not have trouble. Problem is not every drives like this. Despite all the testing they do, there will be drivers that confuse the system. They really can not hire those drivers for testing, since if they knew they were driving a car that recorded them, they would not do those things. A simple 4 speed hydraulic transmission, is simpler, but with 10 speeds(totally un-necessary IMHO) there are hundreds of new scenarios for misbehavior. My sister could get some pretty harsh shifts out of a 700R4 doing her" unaware no feel for the car, pavement and no anticipation of what would happen next" driving style. A 10 speed and her scare me. They need to put in a mode that says this driver is weird, and default to some much more conservative shift strategy.

Heck I had to "fix" my sisters 10 speed bicycle to a single speed simply because she could never learn to shift it.

The lesson for the manufacturers, is they are out there, and they drive.

Rod

ive had an update on my 10 speed and it helped a lot but what has also helped a lot is driving it. I have 35k miles on mine and i dont even pay attention to it anymore.

As you drive you won't notice it either because it will stop happening or you will get used to it. If you do a lot of stop n go or city driving it will hunt gears.

This transmission is the product of a collaboration between GM & Ford. Had the same one in my '18 Mustang. I've been waiting to see if there are any GM owners out there experiencing issues. Get used to it not being a very smooth operator.

Holding gears with an abrupt throttle drop is part of the programming. Kinda reminds me of how Mercedes used to program theirs in the late 90s, to hold a low gear when decelerating because it thinks it knows what you want.

Expect some transitional jerks from it when changing speeds. On the highway, even after a re-flash, it seemed a little indecisive if I let off the throttle, but then found my way through a hole in traffic, and re-applied throttle. It'd give me a not-so-subtle kick in the back as a hint that it doesn't like that.

A lot of us on the Mustang forums have decided that this transmission is only happy if you're driving it like you're in a race. It's honestly true. The harder you drive, the smoother it acts. I'm not encouraging you to drive a 5,000 lb behemoth like that, but just letting you know, this transmission isn't really suited to a luxury feel. I kicked myself repeatedly for trading my 2017 Mustang for it, because that 6-speed was smooth as silk.

Back