New to me Ford Escape

krz

Picked up a used 2017 Escape SE ,24K miles. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is that it's a GDI TURBO engine. Oil changes 3-5k miles??

Which engine is in the SE trim? 1.5L or 2.0L?

I know the previous 1.6L Escapes had cooling issues, the 1.5L is a newer engine, so it may be too early to tell.

On our third one ,this one (2017 ECO) has a oil change monitor -thats what I follow. Don't over think it,Dont ask your mechanic,Do what factory engineers ,you know the people who designed it ,the same people responsible for warranty costs.

I have a '19 1.5L . I change the oil every 7,500 miles.

My Escape is a company car, so I follow the ARI OCI requirements. Thus far, the OLM has not turned on, so it's still within Fords recommendations.

Regarding cooling and engines - don't mean to scare you, but mine was replaced at 18K miles. In addition, I manage a service team that serves MA and RI. I would say that more than half of my team have had new engines installed. That does not include sales or project managers, of whom I know about 4-5 have had engines replaced. That also does not include our construction teams. Our regional manager did have a meeting with ARI and a Ford rep last year regarding lost time due to vehicle issues.

On the plus side, I have not had any issues with the new engine. I've put on about 20K miles since it was replaced.

There's an issue with the head gasket leaking on the 1.5 right? So they adjust the cooling fans to keep it cooler or something. My parents had a recall for that.

The only real issues my parents have had with their 2017 and 2013 was the rear brakes that require replacement every 15000 miles. Unless you drive it really hard, the rear brakes will rust up.

How long will you own it for? 5 and done and I'd go by the OLM. "Forever" and I'd be hard pressed to go past 5k. But FUD rules my world...

IMO it's hard to go wrong on a conservative OCI schedule. You can always lengthen it later without issue--but shortening later won't undo anything that may (or may not) have happened.

How much will you drive per year?

Originally Posted by Miller88
There's an issue with the head gasket leaking on the 1.5 right?

Word has it there was a block deformity. Can't remember which cylinder it was near. In most cases, including myself, it started using coolant and cold starts were rough.
I do know they replaced the long block and kept my old head.

I believe there is a service bulletin (TSB) on that engine due to the open deck. Blocks are being replaced with a closed design as a fix. As long as you are in PT warranty you should be fine. If you're getting close, google it. I'm potentially going to get an extended PT warranty for my Ecoboost for 1k to ensure I don't have to pay 3-4 k out of pocket.

Originally Posted by honeeagle
On our third one ,this one (2017 ECO) has a oil change monitor -thats what I follow. Do what factory engineers ,you know the people who designed it ,the same people responsible for warranty costs.

Ford only wants the car to get past warranty.
And longer OCI intervals sell more cars due to lower up front maintenance costs.
Have bought over 1,000 Fords for a fleet, which we kept for 10 - 12 years.
I had a lot of up close and personal Ford experience on warranty and maintenance.

If it was my Ford, no more than 5,000 miles for an OCI.

One daughter has a '17 Escape with the 1.5 ecoboost. Ready to turn 36,000 miles with zero problems of any kind mechanical to sqeeks and creaks. Last 2 changes at 5,000 oci w/Pennzoil Ultra 5W20. Mahle oil filters. OEM 235/50/18 Michelin Lattitude Tour HP might make it to 40,000 miles. Wearing evenly but wearing.... Decent tire but not sure if the wear is OEM spec related. Rotate and balance every 5,000 miles Tires started getting nosier at 30,000 miles. Going to go another route for replacement. Not risking $200 per tire on these. Was serviced for reprogramming the electric fans to come on earlier and run longer even after engine shutoff. One thing I did almost when it was new was to remove the thick rubber engine cover which I thought would hold in heat.

Originally Posted by Danno

If it was my Ford, no more than 5,000 miles for an OCI.

+1, have a 2013 Escape (Kuga) w/ 2.0 EB and you can smell the gasoline in the oil when you change it.

Back