First Oil Change Recommendation

I have a Kawasaki FX801V with 15hrs on my Ferris mower. I was thinking about a Fram XG filter with Rotella T6 15w40 oil. Good idea? Is the filter overkill? Does T6 still have high zinc content? Thanks!

I don't see why not. Be aware some aftermarket oil filters may not work. Some will not seal well against the mounting flange. I found that out with my Toro equipped with a rebadged Loncin engine. On it, only OE filters (Toro/Exmark ), Fram 4967 family and STP S4967 will mate properly. Your oil pick should work. Kawasaki allow up 20W50.

My IS700 Ferris has the B&S commercial turf engine. For an oil filter I run a motorcraft FL400 filter, its a little bit of a tight fit but there is enough room for it on my configuration. For oil, I run mobil 1 euro 0-40 in it.

I don't know if the fl400 will fit the kawasaki motor though

I would use the Kawasaki OEM filter. They also make a Kawasaki oil just for your engine. Amsoil makes an oil just for small engines and they have
their own hydrostat transmission oils.

the XG3614 and the T6 are a great combination. THey will serve you well.
There is a longer filter but usually not enough room on Zero turns for it.

My 2¢

The OEM filter currently on the mower is Kawasaki 49065-7010 which crosses to XG4967. Do you guys think it's safe to make the switch to synthetic at 15hrs?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
I would use the Kawasaki OEM filter. They also make a Kawasaki oil just for your engine. Amsoil makes an oil just for small engines and they have
their own hydrostat transmission oils.

I run both them oils and extremely happy with results

Do you guys think it's safe to make the switch to synthetic at 15hrs?

Sure. If that is what you want to do.
I'm a little more long term thinking in my case. I went to a semi-synthetic for the first change.
Full synthetic after that.

My 2¢

Originally Posted by CT8

I add the usual comment of what about the hydrostat oils?

With 15 hours, the HST is a non issue. A filter change and top off at the first 50 or whatever the manual says wouldn't be a bad idea though.

5w40 is a good choice. I like your thinking. I'm starting to use 0w40 in everything gas because I use it more than any other oil.

If you can find a substitute Ultra, it'll work. It's an overkill, but that's it. No issues with the several Extra Guards I'm running on my ‘Bota GT's. Less than $4 and changed yearly.

Originally Posted by dwendt44
the XG3614 and the T6 are a great combination. THey will serve you well.
There is a longer filter but usually not enough room on Zero turns for it.

My 2¢

I picked up the XG3614, compared it to the XG4967 and it looks nearly identical but longer. They were out of T6 15w40 but they had some 5w40, doesn't the 15w40 offer slightly more protection? Thanks.

I've used Fram 3614's and Harvest King (Rural King) 15w40 and have 512 hours on my Big Dog Z-turn with a Kawasaki FR-651V engine.
Starts right up, no smoke, and no oil consumption. The mower itself and hydros will wear out long before that engine.

Being an air cooled engine in the summer, even the conventional 15w40 will be fine. No need to over think this.

Last edited:
Reactions: MM8
Is it okay to use 0w40 Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my Kubota lawn mower. Please and thank you

Originally Posted by polly
Is it okay to use 0w40 Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my Kubota lawn mower. Please and thank you

D722 based?

Yes.

UD

I have a Snapper Pro S200 (made by Ferris) with a Kaw FX-850. Been using Mobil 15W50 and Napa 1394.
In the summer heat these air cooled engines run oil temperatures above 260F. Kawasaki oil chart recommends
20W50 for high ambient temps.

I would use OEM filters and a gasoline rated oil till out of warranty. The Delo 15/40 does have a gasoline rating. Its either the Delo or M1 10/30 HM in all my air cool engines. In my Kaw powered zturn now that I am out of warranty I use the MC 910S filter. I also use it on the B&S engines.

Reactions: MM8
Originally Posted by passgas55
I would use OEM filters and a gasoline rated oil till out of warranty. The Delo 15/40 does have a gasoline rating. Its either the Delo or M1 10/30 HM in all my air cool engines. In my Kaw powered zturn now that I am out of warranty I use the MC 910S filter. I also use it on the B&S engines.

The 910S is just a shorter version of the 400S?

J.D. D130 w/ B+S 22 H.P. twin cylinder started with Platinum 10w-30 for 1st O.C. and all Platinum 5w-30 after . It's 7 years old and cut over 3 acres . Always used J.D. oil filter , seems well made . The Bolens WC13 with the 13 H.P. B+S started with Rotella synthetic 5w-40 and blends of Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 , 5w-30 , 5w-20 along with leftover Rotella 5w-40 . It's 10 years old and used for 3+ acres .

Last edited:
Back