Seeking Exterior Home Aesthetic Advice (UPDATE!)

Original thread here:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4904925/1

We have washed the siding, taken out the bush, built a functional lighthouse, upgraded to leafguard gutters, and finally did something with that terrible clear plastic sheeting.

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2537.jpg

Last edited:
I think copper panels, or aged copper painted panels would look good vs the reddish/orange panel over the door. House looks nice though, nice job.

Last edited:
Yeah, that red steel doen't work for me either. I like the Copper idea, but even a blue would look better.
IF THAT ROOF Wasn't so steep, I'd suggest doing the chimney in a cement board as well. Maybe a random pattern of some subtle color or earthtone. It stands out a bit more than it should, but will be darn hard to conceal.

Very nice job on the other work though. Looks good.

I think the "barn-red" roof would look better if the lighthouse wasn't painted in the true-red color...

Anyways, if we go to sell this someday, I am sure we will take the lighthouse with us, or it will have been repainted by then, so probably not an issue. We live in the middle of Iowa, so barn red is a very popular accent color.

Updating the flower pots and dog water bowl to a matching color, or something more neutral would help as well...

Last edited:
Looks good! Its a bit odd that the place you walk under doesn't have an eavestrough though? Or do you go through the garage 99% of the time? If it was my place, I think when its time to do the shingles, I'd have them do the whole roof including the steel over the door, or if the wife insisted on blowing some money on architectural detail, maybe a dormer roof extension over the front door? Or a shed dormer that would match the back? You'd have to play around with some drawings. Or you could just look at the back of the house, I think its very interesting!

You might be able to make that barn red roof work if you are attempting to go for a nautical coast guard station look:
p...bKlg9-Hk8wU6d9skkwzZkBj6oNAr4VktgDSdWjGM

It would require more red trim accents somewhere, not sure. As it is now, the red roof sticks out like a sore thumb.

I would be inclined to get a good paint store to mix a paint that would blend with the existing roof. It will be difficult because the roof has multiple tones of gray. You want it neither too light or too dark. The process would be like blending (not matching) wood stain. It would be somewhere between the darkest roof color and the lightest. I'm guessing it would look better if it leaned just a tad towards the darker color.

Not to get off topic, but that entry way looks unfinished to me. I would be adding a Gable roof to the entry way with wood and stone covered posts. It would be add a ton of curb appeal. The only issue would be making sure nobody driving into the garage would smash into the structure.

Originally Posted by JC1
Not to get off topic, but that entry way looks unfinished to me. I would be adding a Gable roof to the entry way with wood and stone covered posts. It would be add a ton of curb appeal. The only issue would be making sure nobody driving into the garage would smash into the structure.

This, and paint window, door, eaves trim in a dark grey.

I'd move the light house further from the main house. Seems crowded.

Also see if there's something you can put on the vinyl siding covering the chimney, like a 2D cutout of a weathervane or some sort of art. It's sitting like a blank canvas waiting for... something.

Needs a contrasting color on the garage and front door...maybe match the barn red roof? Unique looking house for sure.

Wow, thank you for all the ideas! Some are really good...will have to bounce them off my bride and see what she thinks.

Things to think about:

Love the idea of painting the garage doors and windows/doors to match the roof.
Cool idea about putting something on the Chimney...something nautical to go with the lighthouse (which is not moving)
I like the idea of expanding the nautical theme

Thanks again!

Those front windows are too small. Big expanses of small height siding always looks funny to me.

My wife usually says that a front porch helps things. This might be the case with your house...

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Those front windows are too small. Big expanses of small height siding always looks funny to me.

Agree 100%. If you increase the size of those windows it would break up the expanse of siding on the front and probably be much nicer inside the house as well. I also thing getting rid of the tin roof and building a dormer or gable Or whatever it's called over the front door would really make it look nice.

After looking at the pic again, I'm assuming the bay window is over a kitchen sink or something maybe preventing it from being a taller window? The other small window I'd open that way up unless it's in a bathroom or something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RhondaHonda

Agree 100%. If you increase the size of those windows it would break up the expanse of siding on the front and probably be much nicer inside the house as well. I also thing getting rid of the tin roof and building a dormer or gable Or whatever it's called over the front door would really make it look nice.

After looking at the pic again, I'm assuming the bay window is over a kitchen sink or something maybe preventing it from being a taller window? The other small window I'd open that way up unless it's in a bathroom or something.

Yes, the bay window is over the sink and as large as it can be, as it is boxed in with cupboards. The other window can't be any bigger as well because plumbing runs under it. There is honestly no way to add more window to the front of the house...at times i would like to simply to get more of a cross breeze, but it's just not going to happen. The space between the kitchen and only other window is taken by the washer/dryer closet. As you face the house, the space between the window and the front door is taken by a bathroom...and nobody wants a front facing window into their bathroom.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by RhondaHonda

Yes, the bay window is over the sink and as large as it can be, as it is boxed in with cupboards. The other window can't be any bigger as well because plumbing runs under it. There is honestly no way to add more window to the front of the house...at times i would like to simply to get more of a cross breeze, but it's just not going to happen. The space between the kitchen and only other window is taken by the washer/dryer closet. As you face the house, the space between the window and the front door is taken by a bathroom...and nobody wants a front facing window into their bathroom.

Maybe just some shutters on the sides of the single window and possibly the bay if it wouldn't look too weird. Easy enough to pick up a few at Home Depot to hold up and see if you like the look.

Back