Castrol bulk 5W40 (VW/Audi dealer oil) VOA/TBN/viscosity numbers - anyone/help?

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Anyone know/have data/info/analysis on the bulk Castrol 5W40 that VW/Audi dealers use? What would this oil equate to off-the shelf?

Last edited:
I'm looking for the virgin TBN - I've emailed Castrol. It's likely Edge 5W40 that you can get at Walmart etc. I have several UOAs for my Atlas with dealer fills and like to see what the starting viscosity/TBN are to compare the UOA to.

I have a recently posted UOA in the section but not a VOA, dealer Castrol 5w40. I don't know the starting TBN but the residual TBN after 9,500 miles was 3.5 so it must be pretty good. Walmart's Edge 5w40 now has the Titanium additive the dealer stuff does not. I have on my home computer downloaded several other recent UOAs of OE 5w40 and they all looked good as well.

Starting viscosity I think is about 14.1 @100.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
I have a recently posted UOA in the section but not a VOA, dealer Castrol 5w40. I don't know the starting TBN but the residual TBN after 9,500 miles was 3.5 so it must be pretty good. Walmart's Edge 5w40 now has the Titanium additive the dealer stuff does not. I have on my home computer downloaded several other recent UOAs of OE 5w40 and they all looked good as well.

Starting viscosity I think is about 14.1 @100.

Saw the 14.1 on their spec sheet. TBN must be around 10. Thx for indo.

I believe it's 502/505 spec from VW. That walmart casstrol may not meet it. See what the bottle says first.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I believe it's 502/505 spec from VW. That walmart casstrol may not meet it. See what the bottle says first.

Castrol Edge 5W40 in Wal Mart is VW 505.00/502.00, MB229.3/229.5, BMW LL01, Porsche A40.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Castrol Edge 5W40 in Wal Mart is VW 505.00/502.00, MB229.3/229.5, BMW LL01, Porsche A40.

ok

Went to the casstrol webzite and read their data page for edge 5W40 and it meets the VW specification but does not have their approval. So read that bottle from walmart carefully .

This is the text from December of 2019 on their data sheet. Clear as mud.

EDGE 5W-40 U.S.

Strength for Maximum Performance

Description

Advances in engine technology have led to increased power and efficiency, meaning engines work harder and under
higher pressures than ever before. The only thing keeping engine components apart is the oil, so it needs to be strong
and remain strong. Castrol EDGE is our strongest and most advanced range of full synthetic motor oils. It provides
superior motor oil strength and helps your vehicle maximize its performance.

Application
Formulated for approved and licensed European OEM specifications. Meets industry standards for API SN/CF and ACEA
A3/B4. Meets BMW, MB, Porsche and VW specifications.

Advantages
Castrol EDGE provides superior motor oil strength for engines that work harder due to higher engine pressures,
helping your vehicle maximize engine performance.
* Reduces metal to metal contact across a range of different driving speeds.
* Protects the engine for the entire drain interval as recommended by your owner's manual even under extreme
pressure.
* Decreases engine deposit formulation to help maximize engine response.
Page: 1/

The specification/approval word play has been hashed out extensively on BITOG.

Last edited:
The back of the jug at walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-EDGE-5W-40-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-Quarts/145736795

From that website...

Good enough for me.

Screenshot_20200604-041120_Samsung Internet.jpg

Castrol Edge 5W40 is clearly a 502 oil....always has been.

Yes, Castrol is one of those truly weird companies (like Valvoline sometimes) that obfuscates actual approval language. Usually it is the boutique oils that obfuscate it the other way around trying to fool people. One clue in that picture is that the Mercedes-Benz approvals are worded correctly.

The dealer is probably using OE Professional out of a drum. I don't imagine it's all that different from Edge. TBN will be around 10-11 most likely.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It's the Edge 5W-40 Pro OE that they use in their cars at the dealership, or at least used to use until they switch to Mobil 1.

Back