AC Flashing Light

Re: 99 Toyota Avalon

Is it possible that a slightly low charge would cause this? Everything I can find says it is associated with the magnetic clutch, eg relay, speed sensor, amplifier or ground.

My AC was working fine and light started flashing. I turned AC off for a few minutes then turned it back on and it worked fine again. I think my charge may be a little low based on bubbles in sight glass. I will hookup gages tomorrow to get a better feel.

I replaced the condenser (road trash punctured it) many years ago and weighed in a factory charge. Has been working perfectly since then.

Thanks.

Have you gone through a deep puddle lately? That happens with my 02 Camry

This happens when the clutch is commanded to be engaged, but the compressor rpm measures slower than expected (including zero) versus the engine rpm. The A/C amplifier assumes the belt and/or clutch is slipping and is about to burn up. So it will lock out the A/C.

As you have read, there are a lot of parts involved. First step is to see if the clutch does engage and spin normally (for a second) before the light starts blinking. That would indicate a problem with the measurement. If the clutch doesn't even try to engage, or it engages and slips, something more fundamental is wrong.

Low charge will not cause it. Low charge makes the compressor easier to turn than normal.

Last edited:
If you haven't already, grab a new Denso relay for the underhood fuse box

Should be about $10 or so

This is common on Camrys, they intermittently fail

That's assuming all is well in the rest of the system

It has a revolution counter as part of the magnetic clutch. It knows how fast the clutch should be spinning vs engine rpm. If it's spinning too slow or not at all it will blink that light. May be the relay as already suggested or something else.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Doesn't the high pressure switch not let the compressor kick on if low on freon? I always thought it did.
The Low pressure switch if it has one.

Originally Posted by motts

We were driving through a major frog strangler downpour. Maybe as simple as a slipping accessory belt?

Thanks to all for confirming low charge is not an issue.

Originally Posted by artbuc
Originally Posted by motts

We were driving through a major frog strangler downpour. Maybe as simple as a slipping accessory belt?

Thanks to all for confirming low charge is not an issue.

Slipping belt did this to my 11 sienna.

Back