best budget tire

my son needs new tires for his 92 Nissan Pathfinder. it is RWD automatic and mainly used on highways. He has a limited budget ($60-$80 per tire) what tire has the best bang for the buck?

I looked for tires online for about a week, looked at indy mechanics, chains, big box stores, and online retailers.

Best price I saw was at the wholesale clubs like Costco/Sam's/BJs. Uniroyals and Bridgestones.

I wouldn't drive on or let my family drive on dangerously cheap tires.

Costco only has 4 options in the needed size (235-75-15) and all 4 options are more than $100 per tire.

In So Cal, I would go to Discount Tire/America's Tire.

On a budget you can get a decent all season tire, and they will stand behind it.

If you think Discount is going to risk lawsuits selling dangerous cheap tires, you would be incorrect.

I've been buying off name tires from them for years, they work fine.

I would check for tires in your budget on the Tire Rack or similar site. Sometimes particular brands have sales on old stock. Walmart has Cooper Discoverers in that size at 74 bucks each. That's a good deal.

235 75r15 you can still get the Goodyear Wrangler(just Wrangler not adventure or ats). There's nothing special about them but they're cheap, safe and will last 30-40k. There are tons of square body Cherokees and Ford Rangers out there driving around on those tires.

For a highway tire in Southern California, you can probably get Hankook Kinergy or Kumho Solus TA11 for around that price. They're ok tires, should be safe and last a while at least.

Originally Posted by cb_13
235 75r15 you can still get the Goodyear Wrangler(just Wrangler not adventure or ats). There's nothing special about them but they're cheap, safe and will last 30-40k. There are tons of square body Cherokees and Ford Rangers out there driving around on those tires.

Walmart had a sale on these a few months ago. $50/tire. I bought 6 for my son's '87 Wrangler. 5 and a garage spare.

Looks like Walmart dot Com has this on rollback. Better order them up!!!

Kenda Kenetica (KR17) 235/75R15 105S Tire
Average Rating:
(4.7)
out of5stars
3 ratings, based on3reviews
Kenda TiresWalmart # 575265763
$57.36 WAS $70.97
Other costs

Discount Tire has 6 tires in his size under $85. He may have to buy used tires at his budget price. Check out the Milestar Patagonia, Kumho Road Venture or the Cooper Discoverer if he can afford new tires.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Check out the Milestar Patagonia.

Pretty sure the Milestars are not in the budget.

Nexen, Cooper, Solus, Toyo, Hankook, Falken, Fuzion, BF Goodrich have tires available for 92 Pathfinder for under $100.

Originally Posted by Triplicate
I would check for tires in your budget on the Tire Rack or similar site. Sometimes particular brands have sales on old stock.

THIS ^^^

I had to buy a set of Advanta HPZ-01 (235/45/18 WR) due to a roofing nail spill on one of our local roads this past weekend. I didn't want to spend too much because of taking furlough pay-cut so Advanta it was. I got them at a franchise owned Firestone, mounted for $390 out-the-door.

I must tell you, so far.... very pleased with the purchase. Being an UHP tire, you do feel the road imperfections more, but the steady state driving is smooth and the handling is much better than the Conti's the Passat came with. They've seem just fine in the wet too. They supposed to be a 60K mile tire.

Last edited:
I have had good success with Ironman tires, and we usually put them on used cars at work that need tires. They are in that price range. No complaints. Their truck/"mud" tires are pretty dang good (for the price point).

I'm liking this deal!

Walmart had a sale on these a few months ago. $50/tire. I bought 6 for my son's '87 Wrangler. 5 and a garage spare.

Looks like Walmart dot Com has this on rollback. Better order them up!!!

Kenda Kenetica (KR17) 235/75R15 105S Tire

Last edited:
I previously put a set of Douglas tires from Walmart on one of my vehicles. $47/tire, and they held up just fine. Can't remember the model though, apologies.

checking on-line prices, Walmart seems to be the best especially with "rollback" deals.

Back