Graphic Evidence Why You Need A Fuel Shut Off!!

Looks like it reinforces what people have been saying for years. Ethanol is doom to small engines that aren't used regular.

E85 was never a good idea.

If it was not for the farmer lobby we would be back to E0 gasoline.

I only run E0 with blue Stabil in my OPE year round, every tank. (4 cycle). The 2 cycle gets premix.

So, fuel stablizer isn't worth using?

I've never watched Project Farm before; thanks for the link. Seemed, if not conclusive, then at least good data.

I'm not sure where I'd get E0 for my lawn mower, but since they're freebie projects so far, I'm not too worried. Somehow they've managed E10 for a number of years. I did buy a 25 year old ATV that had been sitting for 4 years with old gas in it; I did wind up replacing the fuel lines and the fuel pump, and both items had dusty white garbage in them. Didn't mess with the carb (yet) since it's been running good enough.

IMO E10 might have a place. I remember having to put dry gas into a vehicle or two as a kid. Maybe modern sealed fuel systems mitigate that need altogether, but I know I haven't used dry gas in years. Perhaps it doesn't belong in things that sit for long periods of time, but for other items maybe it's just fine.

IIRC straight cut gasoline is something like 60 octane. I have no idea how they can bump the octane of gasoline using only components available in crude oil, but ethanol does offer an octane bump. Dunno if it's overall worth it--growing corn to make ethanol uses a lot of ground water and has these water issues, but I'm not going to go out of my way to buy E0 when E10 hasn't caused me problems (yet).

The video demonstrates that Lucas brand fuel stabilizer does not work well for storing one inch of gasoline in a mason jar for one year sitting in a cabinet.

Originally Posted by Donald
E85 was never a good idea.

If it was not for the farmer lobby we would be back to E0 gasoline.

I only run E0 with blue Stabil in my OPE year round, every tank. (4 cycle). The 2 cycle gets premix.

False. Ethanol is a substitute for MTBE which was phased out because of its toxicity.

Last edited:
EtOH is a conjunct additive with MBTE. It's primary usage was to reduce the dependence on crude oil, and came into more widespread use as MBTE use was curtailed and as the supply increased.

False. Ethanol is a substitute for MTBE which was phased out because of its toxicity.

This is true enough, but it does not make Donald's statement false. There is really no need for an oxygenate in fuel.
The corn lobby keeps it alive, as well as the ENORMOUS investment made into the infrastructure to bring it to market. It does not ship well in pipelines. It is almost entirely moved to market by truck or train. Trucking it pretty much eliminates any air quality improvements that may be had.

Cool video. I think you guys got the wrong conclusion.
E85 - which is never recommended for small engines will cause corrosion regardless of stabilizer.
E10 - stabilizer seemed to improve performance.
E0 - best, does not really need stabilizer.

I wonder how that Lucas fuel stabilizer compares to Stabil.
Stabil seems to be a more popular product and the one i personally use.
I typically use E10 fuel in small engines. Wish all had fuel cutoffs, but i guess you can just run it dry.

MTBE isn't that toxic, but it readily mixes with water and just a few parts per million imparts an awful smell and taste. That revealed that gasoline in groundwater happens very commonly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnG

This is true enough, but it does not make Donald's statement false. There is really no need for an oxygenate in fuel.
The corn lobby keeps it alive, as well as the ENORMOUS investment made into the infrastructure to bring it to market. It does not ship well in pipelines. It is almost entirely moved to market by truck or train. Trucking it pretty much eliminates any air quality improvements that may be had.

There really is a need because some areas of the country develop horrible air pollution without it. You obviously wouldn't experience it living in Daytona, but cities such as Houston, Atlanta, LA, Charlotte, etc would be in bad shape.

Last edited:
Somewhat OT, but say an engine was used regularly, but switched from E10 to E0 the last few tanks.

Would that create any long term issues?

Originally Posted by doitmyself
The video demonstrates that Lucas brand fuel stabilizer does not work well for storing one inch of gasoline in a mason jar for one year sitting in a cabinet.

Seems to me it showed a little more than just Lucas brand stabilizer (and to be specific it was more than just a stabilizer, no?). While not a controlled lab study it was a pretty decent general experiment.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Somewhat OT, but say an engine was used regularly, but switched from E10 to E0 the last few tanks.

Would that create any long term issues?

Hard to say, if the engine is stored for any period of time with ethanol in the carburetor there is potential for corrosion. A lot of it depends on storage environment, and something stored inside will be better off than something left out in the rain.

In my area I only have access to E10 fuels, besides race fuel which I'm not spending the money on. I have had good luck in my machines over the last several years running a double dose of Marine Stabil in my fuel cans, and running equipment out of fuel (carb bowls dry) if I know it will be stored for more than a few days. My small engine customers that have been doing this haven't had any issues as well. A simple fuel shut-off valve in the fuel line can make this possible.

For the record I've never heard of the Lucas stabilizer used in the video.

Back