Extremely rare Honda

Prowling Hemmings for S2000's during a concall and found this. I got a chuckle, though Hemmings being a relatively small organization of car people, I would think someone would have caught this
smile.gif
Maybe ad posting is fully automated...

[Linked Image]

Well, at least the description in the ad is correct. I wonder if the mistake was made by the dealer or by Hemmings? Nevertheless, any car guy would have spotted that mistake immediately, on so many levels.

No VVT in a '87 vintage BMW M70 V12, which was essentially two of the M20 small sixes grafted together.

Vanos was still a couple years from appearing in the U.S. market, in any form, for '93 MY.

Things have gotten a bit crazy in the used market, but I believe $40k would fetch a very nice E31 (if not necessarily the CSi version).

Is that what a nice S2000 is worth? Most examples I see are "upgraded."

The M70 is relatively easy to maintain; the key is-like with many niche BMWs-being wired in to the E31 community. I passed on a couple of decent ones when they were stupid cheap- and I still regret it,

Originally Posted by Carmudgeon
No VVT in a '87 vintage BMW M70 V12, which was essentially two of the M20 small sixes grafted together.

Vanos was still a couple years from appearing in the U.S. market, in any form, for '93 MY.

Things have gotten a bit crazy in the used market, but I believe $40k would fetch a very nice E31 (if not necessarily the CSi version).

Is that what a nice S2000 is worth? Most examples I see are "upgraded."

I always thought the E31's were beautiful and I have wanted one, but beauty aside, they are not excellent enough in any category to have pushed me over the edge yet...until the right V12 manual comes along...

Nice, stock low mileage S2K's are in the mid-high $20k's some even crossing into the low $30k's with the late Club Racer ones being much higher. These prices are for premium ones, not "improved" or "upgraded". The S2K is a wonderful still underrated car. I miss my early one. Owning the Boxster and Lotus remind me how great of a car the S2K is.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels

I always thought the E31's were beautiful and I have wanted one, but beauty aside, they are not excellent enough in any category to have pushed me over the edge yet...until the right V12 manual comes along...

Nice, stock low mileage S2K's are in the mid-high $20k's some even crossing into the low $30k's with the late Club Racer ones being much higher. These prices are for premium ones, not "improved" or "upgraded". The S2K is a wonderful still underrated car. I miss my early one. Owning the Boxster and Lotus remind me how great of a car the S2K is.

The E31 was a looker, and do have their own following. But what you mention about not being strong in any area is what some though kept it from being considered a great car. Too big/heavy to be a sports car, and not cushy enough as a GT, leaving it in a kind of purgatory in between.

I'd like to try an S2K some day. I had an opportunity that fell victim to an accident before I could drive it. As good as the Civic Type-R is, I miss the days when the Japanese were more willing to fill the affordable sports car niche.

Back