Mixing vavoline & mobil

Can I mix mobil1 5w30 high mileage extended performance & Vavoline High mileage synthetic blend 5w30? It seemed to stop my oil from burning I added about 0.2 quarts seemed to do the fix. I have a PurolatorBOSS oil filter 15k interval filter. I have a 4.7 ram it was burning like crazy till I put that in. Also vavoline is what I was using prior to mobil1

There are likely hundreds of posts (if not threads) about mixing oils, perhaps you can read those first before starting yet another new thread about the subject?

You're the master race?

Originally Posted by ThePCMasterRace
Can I mix mobil1 5w30 high mileage extended performance & Vavoline High mileage synthetic blend 5w30? It seemed to stop my oil from burning I added about 0.2 quarts seemed to do the fix. I have a PurolatorBOSS oil filter 15k interval filter. I have a 4.7 ram it was burning like crazy till I put that in. Also vavoline is what I was using prior to mobil1

Don't you dear mix them two oils up the different add packs alone could ruin that engine. ...‚...‚...‚...‚

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
There are likely hundreds of posts (if not threads) about mixing oils, perhaps you can read those first before starting yet another new thread about the subject?

You're the master race?

Indeed.

Originally Posted by dave1251

You're the master race?

Indeed.

Of baiting, maybe.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by dave1251

You're the master race?

Indeed.

Of baiting, maybe.

There are far easier resources to use rather than this site to answer this question.

TUS

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Indeed Pt 2
You can mix two more brands also...... using a grand total of four blends of HMs. But don't dare use 5......... it'll blow.....lol

Thanks that was the answer I was looking for

You sure can, but why bother (unless you are trying to use up oil in the storage shed)? M1 HM 10w-30 would be a better choice.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
You sure can, but why bother (unless you are trying to use up oil in the storage shed)? M1 HM 10w-30 would be a better choice.

That's what I was thinking. Plus my engine is close to 120k miles Mobil seems to run amazing in my v8. I just had left over from my previous oil change

Last edited:
LOL are you just topping off? Or mixing with an OCI? Topping off makes no difference if we're talking a few ounces. Thanks for being the "master race" though, bro!!!..
crackmeup2.gif

there have been times when I mixed 3 quarts of one brand and two of another...never hurt anything I've ever owned

Man, with that question you sure stirred up the high post count guys. Good job.

I made a "fraken brew" of misc oils a few days ago for my next OCI in July. Trying to clean things up and get rid of some single bottles

1 QT Castol GTX White bottle dino 10W30
2 qts of Mobil super 5000 dino 10W30
2.5 qts of Rotella gas truck fully syn 5W30

Filled the Rotella 5qt jug to the top lol
thumbsup2.gif

Not sure which one of my rigs is gonna get it ?? Most likely my 07 5.3 Suburban since its at 65% oil life and I like to keep it fresh since it has 200K miles, AFM garbage and the Texas heat on right now
15.gif

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
LOL are you just topping off? Or mixing with an OCI? Topping off makes no difference if we're talking a few ounces. Thanks for being the "master race" though, bro!!!..
crackmeup2.gif

Yeah I just had to top it off burned decent amount and ever since I put my left over vavoline in to top it off haven't burned since

Most motor oils claim that they are compatible with all other conventional and synthetic motor oils. For example, here is a statement from the Mobil website:
"Mobil 1 full synthetic motor oils are compatible with conventional oils, oils for high mileage vehicles, synthetic blends and other full synthetic oils. Engine flushing is not required."

Originally Posted by DGXR
Most motor oils claim that they are compatible with all other conventional and synthetic motor oils. For example, here is a statement from the Mobil website:
"Mobil 1 full synthetic motor oils are compatible with conventional oils, oils for high mileage vehicles, synthetic blends and other full synthetic oils. Engine flushing is not required."

Yes if the oils are API licensed then they must pass ASTM D6922 and will be miscible. The mixture must not cause harm to pass that test. However, that is not the whole story. Not causing harm is all it has to do, there is no guarantee that the resulting mixture will meet any standard, license nor approval that any of the individual oils may carry.

Back