Replacement SLA Battery for Clore Jumper

The original SLA battery in my Clore JNC660 jump starter has died prematurely after only 2 1/4 years. I never had to jump my vehicle, and I did keep the battery charged. The battery sinks to 5.0 VDC with only a 80A load on it. The Clore spec is 9.5 VDC minimum with a 100A load for 6 seconds.

I checked at the Clore website about a new battery, and they want $165 plus shipping, which is ridiculous. A new JNC660 jump starter is $130 at Amazon, $35 less than a replacement battery. A stupid pricing policy from Clore!

I measured (with a carbon pile tester and Fluke clamp meter ) the original battery when new, and it could supply a max of 385A. It was rated by Clore as 425 cranking amps.

I checked for replacement batteries on Amazon and Google, and saw a lot of mediocre choices. Only one, the $45 Mighty Max ML22-12 at Amazon, provided a specification of maximum current, which was 300A.

Are there any quality 22AH SLA battery brands that can provide 375A-400A for under $60? If not, I will give the Mighty Max a try.

I looked up that mity max battery on amazon.

It says it has an impedance of 11mOhm. So shorted, this battery should be able to source around 900A.

Figure at end of life impedance has doubled, and it conducts down to 8V, might be able to source 360A or so.

I've replaced the 22Ah battery in my jump box with some no name ebay one. It jumps totally dead cars just fine, think the battery was less than 30 bucks shipped.

Originally Posted by chemman
Try chromebattery.com I've had good luck with their SLA batteries.

I took a look at their batteries. The 22AH is out of stock, but they have a 20AH that might fit, for $40. It maxes out at 300A, like the MightyMax at Amazon.

The internal resistance is 15 mOhm for the ChromeBattery, and 11 mOhm for the MightyMax .

ChromeBattery offers an 18 month warranty on the SLA batteries. MightyMax offers a 12 month warranty.

I have a 6 year old 8.5 ah Chromebattery in my portable air compressor, it still acts like it did when it was new. It sits on a battery tender jr when not in use. I think the float charge on the BT is what keeps them alive, the BT float charges at 13-13.1 volts.

choose the one with lowest internal resistance.
that is the spec that determines cranking performance.
my best one is a yuasa 15 minute rated one.
there is no amp hour rating on it.

Back