Ford flex

We've had our 2009 Flex 2WD with the naturally aspirated 3.5L V6 since brand new, it is coming up on 11 years old on June 9th.

The first 10 years were extremely reliable, the last 12 months the suspension system has been falling apart 1 piece at a time. Wear and tear per normal, not a slight against Ford on this aspect.

I have done the water pump and timing chains as a pro-active measure 1 year ago, there were no coolant leaks but I felt it was too anxiety provoking to leave it alone with this engine's tendency to leak coolant into the engine oil and spell disaster. The Flex has benefited from my OCD maintenance regimen, so if mine is better than average then the credit goes to me.

So now it has 227,000 km and is still driven 20k km per year. The rust on the driver and passenger door mirror internals has been held at bay, but one good hit and the mirror will fall off.

Would I purchase another one if Ford still made them? yes.

My best friend had one which was the 3.5 NA and AWD. I think it was a '14 or '15. He hit a deer last year, it was repaired, and he traded it for a new Pacifica as he got a great deal.

I believe he had about 130K on it. The main issues he had were wheel bearings and he did a couple sets of front brakes. I believe this is the same platform as the Explorer.
I don't believe he had any other issues. Our guys were in Boy Scouts together and he could hold a lot of kids. Hence the new Pacifica.

I can't speak to long term reliability, but I used to travel a lot for business and used to rent from National Car rental.

They allowed me to pick a car that was on the lot.

Whenever a ford flex was available, I would rent it. I found it to be an extremely comfortable car to drive in.
I am not a big SUV guy so I appreciated the ride, visibility and utility of the flex.

I was very impressed with the car in general and it was on our list to replace a rusting out minvan.

However, we acquired another minivan from withing family for peanuts which eliminated the need to buy the flex.

I also had a relative that had a Flex and loved it but replaced it with a minivan after hitting a deer.

Here's the long-term reliability of the Flex.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Ford_Flex.html

They have been at or above average for nearly 10 years now. I have a friend of mine who owns a Ford dealership and it has been their vehicle of choice for many years now. They are in many ways what a classic Volvo wagon should have become.

I usually sell about a half dozen of them a year at 48 Hours And A Used Car. They have gone for a healthy discount ever since Ford decided to pull the plug on the model. The crazy thing is I even bought one for a fellow who recently retired from Ford.

If you can hold out for a few months I would do that. With most states out of lockdown there is over two months of pent up uised car demand and the prices of used vehicles have been just plain nuts.

All the best

Steven Lang

My 2011 flex non-EB has been trouble free and a comfortable. I know someone who was in a head on accident in one and walked away from the accident, the other driver did not. Parts are easy to find and reasonably priced. It's been an all around good car.

I currently own a 2018 Flex Non EcoBoost. We only have 30k on it but it has been perfect so far. I did not want turbos, and felt the 3.5L had enough power to move the family around. Everyone I talked to said they loved theirs, had great reliability reviews, I would have no issue recommending it. The only issue is I wish it got a little better MPG. I get about 18.5 average.

Bought our Flex 8 years ago FWD NA, it had 45k miles on it. It now has 115k. Replaced 2 ignition coils, brake pads 2 times. The electric fan runs all the time at high speed which is mildly annoying, but I just live with it.

Overall, I cannot complain it has been reliable (it is a Ford afterall) and is a great people hauler. The legroom in the 2nd row is absolutely awesome. It drives very well on the highway or around town. I do not like the lack of visibility, but that may just be me. Parking the Flex is not fun, usually I find a spot near the back of a parking lot on pull through.

the local airport shuttle service uses the ford flex. i always chat up shuttle and taxi drivers about their vehicles. the flex always gets positive reviews.

My wife's aunt has an Mkt that she loves. Had another MKT before this one that she traded in on it. We did a water pump job with new timing component for her at the dealership I was at then with 150k miles on her previous MKT.

Originally Posted by alchargo
If it's AWD, research the PTU issues

Absolutely change the fluid in the PTU. Every 30-60k, it only holds about 3/4 of a quart and uses 75w140 gear lube. If a dealership tells you it's lifetime fill ask them to price changing it anyway. Last two I've been at were $99.95 for a transfer case service. Depending on the exact setup of the vehicle it could be higher, I know some years of Explorer Sport required the exhaust to be lowered which was some additional labor.

The AwD was terrible in our rental Flex. Two back wheels on pavement sort of turned but directed power to front tires over road lip into snow and just was stuck. Comical AWD really FWD with sort of traction on back.

Back