Accord Trans Case crack (bad casting?)

I was under the new Accord today. Not too impressed with the casting on the transmission case. Looks to me as if this crack in the case is also causing the slight fluid weep.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Oh wow that is bad. Never seen anything like that before to be honest. It's so bad that they couldn't even properly stamp the serial number. Yes definitely have the dealer take care of that. Honestly I'm surprised that made it out of a Honda factory. Holy cow. I hope it gets resolved quickly for you.

Oh my … good thing it's a Honda or the howler monkeys would keep us up all night.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Oh my … good thing it's a Honda or the howler monkeys would keep us up all night.

Imagine if it were a Hyundai. It would never be forgotten.

Looks like normal aluminum casting to me. I highly doubt any of them penetrate into the interior.
The aluminum takes the exact shape of the casting die used to make the housing, including any cracks or raised areas. Thousands of T-cases are run through them.

New Process NP231/241 transfercases (used in Jeeps) have similar "cracks" and flash.

The oil appears to be coming from the mating area where that second piece is bolted on.

It's a cold shut from the casting process and it's no big deal.

Now let the cowboys come in and cast their aspersions as they see fit.

Everyone keeps saying it's no big deal, I beg to differ. The first picture you posted has what appears to be a deeper crack than than the other casting marks or cracks as some might call them. The first picture really looks like a surface crack and it's located right next to where some bolts are mounted. I would question the long term durability of this transmission case truthfully. I've not seen this in any vehicle I've owned and I wonder if they use a cheaper process to make their transmission cases to save money. This is bringing back bad memories of the block casting issue they had with the 1.8 in the Civics from 2007-2009.

Originally Posted by ammolab
Is that Motor oil? Not sure it is Red enough to be ATF.

I would be [censored] if that was my new vehicle.

It does look like pretty clean motor oil, not ATF, and I have my glasses on!

Might want to put the 0w16 water weight in it and take it to the dealer, it might leak a bit more...

Last edited:
It definitely weeping through at that area. I would be highly upset! Now it makes me want to get under my 2020 Camry.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Originally Posted by 4WD

Imagine if it were a Hyundai. It would never be forgotten.

LOL Yes, and any of the domestics. In the case here I'd have Honda checking it out, and if I wasn't happy with their story I'd be taking it up with corporate.

Whole area looks like a miss run but that crack does appear to be a cold shut.

I would hope it got X-rayed or UT before it left the casting facility- borderline at best ( based on a picture and not seeing both sides)

I would recommend dye-pen to be sure but its probably ok

Originally Posted by Zaedock
Looks like normal aluminum casting to me. I highly doubt any of them penetrate into the interior.
The aluminum takes the exact shape of the casting die used to make the housing, including any cracks or raised areas. Thousands of T-cases are run through them.

New Process NP231/241 transfercases (used in Jeeps) have similar "cracks" and flash.

The oil appears to be coming from the mating area where that second piece is bolted on.

Zaedock has it right on.

Originally Posted by Imp4
It's a cold shut from the casting process and it's no big deal.

Now let the cowboys come in and cast their aspersions as they see fit.

it is a 2020 vehicle that is leaking fluid, yeah no big deal

Wipe it off, and see if and when it returns. If it returns, I'd definitely take it to the dealer.

Back