2020 Equinox 1.5t

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

The middle sentence of your post says maybe. The last sentence says you will use your leftover 0w20.

That last sentence is your best resolve, unless your owners manual allows you to use 5w or 30s.What does your manual explicitly state? Ignore what this make and model is doing in other countries. You should be following the owners manual of this country. Follow the owners manual inside your glove box, provided that vehicle remains inside the USA..

Originally Posted by tbm5690
There is nothing wrong with using a different weight approved for the exact same engine elsewhere in the world, the only difference being the lack of the CAFE constraints. Of course, to each his own on this but the only potential drawback is a slight drop in MPGs.

Gotta love the dueling experts at BITOG...

farrarfan1: I don't believe anything 777 says. He contradicts himself every day, actually every hour. Just posting to hear himself

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
farrarfan1: I don't believe anything 777 says. He contradicts himself every day, actually every hour. Just posting to hear himself

Same with superdan. He has some weird grudge against GM and has to ruin every thread bashing them with misinformation.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

I've been a member here since 2004, I'm pretty familiar with most all of the regulars.

Well after both hwy and stop and go for the past 4 days.....I like the car better then the Forester. More comfortable, better mpg and more convenience. Cons... same HP as forester, less cargo too.
Just have to worry about this engine, I'll change the oil every 5000 miles w/ Ow20. It should keep the engine cooler.

I am only trying to keep people from making serious mistakes when I comes to car buying. if this includes almost every steaming pile from GM so be it. by the way check my sig. I actually own a chevy truck. have owned 3 of them over my life time. the 1.5 turbo piston issue is real. look it up

To my understanding, this was an issue with the Chevy Malibu for the 2016-2017 model years, which has been corrected. He's wasting everyone's time pushing this outdated information.

I research it heavily and saw that early models had a piston issue but the mechanic where I bring my car for work said he hasn't seen very very few 18s in and no 19 or 20s in the shop with any issues

18-19-20 model years are still pretty new. Check back in a few years on the turbo Equinox engines and that-of the Chevy Trax turbo engines.

I wanted to buy an Equinox 18 months ago. But Chevy only offered one engine. Then I looked at the Trax for the wife in September. Again, Chevy only offered one engine. I looked at Buick and GMC....... again, only that single turbo engine available.

So my rein buying GM products ended and I decided to try Korea GDI and MPI.
The 2.4 GDI hopefully is not a mistake. The 2.0 MPI seems like an engine made in Heaven...... new improvements for 2020.

Last edited:
18-19-20 model years are still pretty new. Check back in a few years on the turbo Equinox engines and that-of the Chevy Trax turbo engines.

I wanted to buy an Equinox 18 months ago. But Chevy only offered one engine. Then I looked at the Trax for the wife in September. Again, Chevy only offered one engine. I looked at Buick and GMC....... again, only that single turbo engine available.

The 2.4 GDI hopefully is not a mistake. The 2.0 MPI seems like an engine made in Heaven...... new improvements for 2020.

I would normally agree but the 15, 16 MY with issues happened inside a year of purchase.

There are two gas engines available. The 1.5 and 2.0 L both turbos. I think even a diesel was available at first.
The Chevy Trax has the 1.4 L Turbo.

smart move!

Back