Slight Tire Bulge

Camry had 4 Town Fair Tires installed last year. Not many miles 7k or so and I noticed a slight bulge maybe an inch x 3 or 4 on the sidewall.

What is it and how urgent is it to repair?

Inherent defect or pothole damage. Hit up Town Fair and see what they say about the warranty. A sidewall blowout on a hot summer day doesn't sound like fun.

I had a Toyo that developed a bulge and it was replaced under warranty. A bulge on a tire is not safe.

Town Fair is hit or miss on their road hazard warranty. Some tires have it, some don't. Either it's a road hazard or a tire defect.

I gave up on them and just get tires at Costco, all of them have a 5 year road hazard warranty.

Originally Posted by chainblu
Is it truly a bulge or is it an indentation (undulation)? One is ok, one is not.

Quoted for truth.

Lots of tires have sidewall over lap that looks like a separation. It's very likely that and no problem. Just show to a tire dealer. Any decent dealer knows what that is.

I also remember a post long time ago talking about ply overlap that shows up on the sidewall. The overlap is part of the manufacturing process and is only a cosmetic defect. We will need a picture to make sure.

We replaced this one. It was making a bumping noise on our church van. The tire shop guys were afraid to go near it.
Thank goodness nobody got hurt! This is from a few years back.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Gebo
We replaced this one. It was making a bumping noise on our church van. The tire shop guys were afraid to go near it.
Thank goodness nobody got hurt! This is from a few years back.

[Linked Image]

I think if I worked in a tire shop and saw that come in... I'd probably be a former employee!

Just how does one handle that? Guy who draws the shortest straw? I mean, I'd be afraid to walk near it, let alone touch it. Once the air is out it's probably fine, it's the getting to that part that would worry me... maybe remove the valve core and run...

An internal air leak bleeding pressure into the belt area. This is why you are supposed to patch internally and not just plug a tire too.

Back