"Boutique" Brands

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Gotta love it around here. Seems like everyone should be shopping at Dollar General store or looking at clearance pricing otherwise "we're just spending too much time and money on other choices we are making.

From my perspective this is a complete mis-characterization.

If you want to spend $10 or $50 or $100, well then go right ahead.
Please know that at the same time others are getting every single thing they need for sub $10/5qt.

Wanna spend $60-$80+ for your own peace of mind? Well then good on you. But I think the very reasonable ask here is that you don't look down your nose at those of us who are doing quite well on a razor thin budget. Because we aren't looking at you in a negative light. We're just asking for the same.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

Let's see … oil I bought for $2 to $3 a quart and left rebates alone

Mobil 1 Annual Protection
Rotella Gas Truck
Mobil 1 Truck/SUV
Valvoline Modern Engine
Pennzoil Platinum Euro

Yeah, I'm one messed up dude. 👀

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Gotta love it around here. Seems like everyone should be shopping at Dollar General store or looking at clearance pricing otherwise "we're just spending too much time and money on other choices we are making.

From my perspective this is a complete mis-characterization.

If you want to spend $10 or $50 or $100, well then go right ahead.
Please know that at the same time others are getting every single thing they need for sub $10/5qt.

Wanna spend $60-$80+ for your own peace of mind? Well then good on you. But I think the very reasonable ask here is that you don't look down your nose at those of us who are doing quite well on a razor thin budget. Because we aren't looking at you in a negative light. We're just asking for the same.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

I agree. I can easily afford boutique oil, but then I ask myself why? My vehicles don't need it, and with the money I save I can still get top quality oil and have more money to spend on toys. Having said that, if it makes you happy, or you feel the need use boutique oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RodneyM
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by userfriendly
I'd rather buy a cheaper oil that meets the engine requirements and change it more often.

How much do you spend per oil change and how often do you change your oil ?

That's the thing. $20 every 5k miles or $50 every 15k miles. I'll take the later.

15k on one change is a good idea, right? No.No matter what oil you use. Show me all the UOAs you can find, that [censored] is filthy. Unless you have a bypass toilet paper filter

You don't get on here much, do ya?

I just bought Amsoil SS for my wife car
I'll run it probably 18 months or 9K miles for
$90 bucks
That's a deal win win for me !!ðŸ‘

18 months on oil huh?
Oh I see, it's Amsoil so this must be OK.

Does your wife, every time she gets in the car drive at least 20 or more miles?
If yes then non of it below applies. If not read on.

Because that's how long it usually takes for the oil to reach ideal operating temperature (212F+) at which point moisture and other contaminants start to boil off or evaporate.
In the winter months it takes even longer.

You spent $90 and doing questionable OCI which will probably be detrimental to your wife's car engine regardless of how high quality oil you put in if she doesn't drive under ideal operating conditions mentioned above.

I buy good quality oil at WM or Amazon (Edge, M1, PUP when it is on sale or rollback.

Few days ago at WM I got lucky to find 3 5QT bottles of high quality QS Ultimate Durability when it was on sale for $14 each. That's $2.80 per qt.

I change oil every 6 months regardless of mileage. That's 3 oil changes in 18 months for total of $42 in case of QS, compare to just one oil change in 18 months for $90 in your case.

And now ask yourself a question. Who's engine is going to benefit more and be in better shape and why?

In the end your win win deal might turnout to be loss loss and looks like it is.

I'd rather buy a cheaper oil that meets the engine requirements and change it more often.

+100

I would never go past 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first,
I am one of those majority drivers who operate under severe conditions of prolong idling, stop and go tragic. dusty conditions and short tripping where engine never reaches it's operating temperature of 212F where it helps to evaporate moisture and boil of contaminates.

This whole bogus advertising of 1 year, 15 or 20K miles oil change is to get more money out off people's pockets to a detriment of owners car engines.
No different from medical industry where intervention is heavily promoted instead of prevention.
Why? Because it's way more profitable,

Mind-boggling how many people fall for that.

Thanks for the "like" js 1956. When in doubt, drain it out. KJB 1954

edit.... My Duramax runs in ideal conditions, average speed over the oci is around 40 mph, so 10,000 miles on 11 quarts is not a stretch.

Last edited:
I like to use a the best quality oil that far exceeds the specifications required. Overkill? Probably, but I'm ok with that.

If the OEM drain interval for example is 7,500 miles, I'd rather use an oil engineered to withstand longer drain intervals than the OEM oil or basic API specification. You don't have to go boutique to get that either, obviously. The top tier major formulations far exceed the basic specs in most cases.

I'm not implying that people should use a boutique brand. That's ridiculous. I do think it is funny though how cheap some people are when it comes to oil, relative to their vehicle and fuel cost.

When I see someone who just bought a C7 complain about a particular brand being expensive I just shake my head.

Originally Posted by buster
I like to use a the best quality oil that far exceeds the specifications required. Overkill? Probably, but I'm ok with that.

If the OEM drain interval for example is 7,500 miles, I'd rather use an oil engineered to withstand longer drain intervals than the OEM oil or basic API specification. You don't have to go boutique to get that either, obviously. The top tier major formulations far exceed the basic specs in most cases.

I'm not implying that people should use a boutique brand. That's ridiculous. I do think it is funny though how cheap some people are when it comes to oil, relative to their vehicle and fuel cost.

When I see someone who just bought a C7 complain about a particular brand being expensive I just shake my head.

I feel the same way as you. The oil I use is overkill for the application, but less expensive than a boutique oil. If I were to be a gambling man I'd wager it will protect my engine just as well as a boutique oil for less money. With regard to extending my OCI, with an extended drain boutique oil, or any oil for that matter I'd rather not. If I was shopping for a used vehicle and I discovered the owner was doing extended OCI's I'd pass on the car.

Mind boggling ? That could be said (and was said) about tossing serviceable lubricants which is why some don't …

But I'm not into mind boggling or calling things bogus just because your comfort zone is little.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Mind boggling ? That could be said (and was said) about tossing serviceable lubricants which is why some don't …

But I'm not into mind boggling or calling things bogus just because your comfort zone is little.

I kind of look at a someone's appointed Comfort Zone and side-step it, for entry into a much preferred Safe Zone.
Oil is cheap. Our vehicle is not.
That's me..... always treading more lightly, mainly because all rides with me come new in the box and stay with me for life.

I had used conventional Valvoline one time in my gf's car and ran it too long. It was our fault, but life was hectic at the time. The oil oxidized badly and left varnish on the dipstick. This was a case where I should have just put an oil like Mobil 1 in it. Cheap insurance. Would have avoided that. Would NEVER have even approached 15k miles, the claim of EP, but it certainly would have handled those conditions far better than conventional Valvoline.

I see both sides of it. When I was younger it was all about bang for the buck. As I got older and my income increased I got into nicer vehicles and high end golf gear and fishing equipment.

The last 10% of extra performance/better tolerances usually costs dearly but I feel better knowing I've done my part to eliminate any variables I might regret later. When it comes to golf or fishing equipment I don't want to have to wonder if I'm being held back in any way by its performance so I buy good stuff and have it adjusted to fit me.

If I hit a hook into the lake or cast a spinnerbait into a tree, I know that's on me and don't have to wonder if the lie angles are wrong on my irons or if my rod/baitcaster combo isn't set up to throw that kind of bait.

For lubricants I prefer to buy the very best and if the engine or trans or transfer case blows up, I won't have to wonder about the lubricant variable. The only variables I can control are how a given vehicle is used and how it's maintained.

But I buy groceries in bulk at Aldi and freeze milk and watch sales and use online coupons and buy halves of freezer beef and pork direct from the farm because then my ribeyes cost me the same $ per pound as ground chuck at the grocery. 🤷ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸

There is always a law of diminishing returns, and lubricants are no exception. Can't really fault anyone's point of view here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by js1956
$90 bucks

18 months on oil huh?

Because that's how long it usually takes for the oil to reach ideal operating temperature (212F+) at which point moisture and other contaminants start to boil off or evaporate.

You spent $90 and doing questionable OCI which will probably be detrimental to your wife's car engine regardless of how high quality oil you put in if she doesn't drive under ideal operating conditions mentioned above.

I buy good quality oil at WM or Amazon (Edge, M1, PUP when it is on sale or rollback.

Few days ago at WM I got lucky to find 3 5QT bottles of high quality QS Ultimate Durability when it was on sale for $14 each. That's $2.80 per qt.

I change oil every 6 months regardless of mileage. That's 3 oil changes in 18 months for total of $42 in case of QS, compare to just one oil change in 18 months for $90 in your case.

And now ask yourself a question. Who's engine is going to benefit more and be in better shape and why?

In the end your win win deal might turnout to be loss loss and looks like it is.

YES

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
That's the thing. $20 every 5k miles or $50 every 15k miles. I'll take the later.

Mobil 1 EP is $50 there? Here it is only $25 at Walmart.

And a -$12 rebate....

+100

I would never go past 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first,
I am one of those majority drivers who operate under severe conditions of prolong idling, stop and go tragic. dusty conditions and short tripping where engine never reaches it's operating temperature of 212F where it helps to evaporate moisture and boil of contaminates.

This whole bogus advertising of 1 year, 15 or 20K miles oil change is to get more money out off people's pockets to a detriment of owners car engines.
No different from medical industry where intervention is heavily promoted instead of prevention.
Why? Because it's way more profitable,

Mind-boggling how many people fall for that.

I do all of the above as well. My tow rig idles for long periods of time, especially when between rounds at the track for AC. It spends 80% of its life towing 4-6k lbs. The engine oil temp is regularly >220*F. I still go 10k miles between oil changes without an issue. It has 264k miles.

$90 bucks

18 months on oil huh?

+1 I'd also add that I will not pay more for oils that might meet the specs, or not.

Agree.

It's a value thing, not a cost thing. If you see value in $10 a qt, be my guest. I see value in $3 a qt with the same physics. Here's the thing, when was the last time you had an oil caused engine failure?
Use the recommended oil for your engine. Change it at the recommended interval. Don't buy in to Marketing. Spend your money on important stuff like Tools and motorcycles!

Back