Battery powered 1/2 inch impact wrench

Originally Posted by ajchien
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Originally Posted by gathermewool
Ryobi 1/2 Impact $109

This seems like a great price for a rarely used impact. Even still, I'd spend the extra money for Ridgid brushless.

So far I'm thinking about the Ryobi.

I have the OLD ryobi p260, the one with just 200 ftlbs. It works well for most things if it fits (lug nuts, brake caliper bracket bolts, suspension bolts). it's never failed to take anything off IF there are no extensions or swivels. Add an extension or swivel ... all bets are off.

One caveat, I live in Southern California. Rarely see real rust here. Second caveat, ryobi 18v is my primary cordless system. Since Milwaukee and Ridgid both have rating up to 1500 ish ft LBs with the 18v systems, I would upgrade if TTI would upgrade ryobi to be near equivalent to the others.

TTI owns both Ryobi and Milwaukee. They're not going to come out with a 600-1500 impact wrench for Ryobi. I think this 300 foot pound one is the most that they ever had. I think there was one previous model that was 250 foot pounds. The only one with a clear upgrade path is Ridgid. At least their 1500 is only $229 the Milwaukee one is $299. But Milwaukee has a 1 inch impact that's 1800. But that's overkill...

Originally Posted by ajchien
Originally Posted by gathermewool
Ryobi 1/2 Impact $109

This seems like a great price for a rarely used impact. Even still, I'd spend the extra money for Ridgid brushless.

So far I'm thinking about the Ryobi.

I have the OLD ryobi p260, the one with just 200 ftlbs. It works well for most things if it fits (lug nuts, brake caliper bracket bolts, suspension bolts). it's never failed to take anything off IF there are no extensions or swivels. Add an extension or swivel ... all bets are off.

One caveat, I live in Southern California. Rarely see real rust here. Second caveat, ryobi 18v is my primary cordless system. Since Milwaukee and Ridgid both have rating up to 1500 ish ft LBs with the 18v systems, I would upgrade if TTI would upgrade ryobi to be near equivalent to the others.

TTI already offers an upgrade....to a different color.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...y-and-18-Volt-Charger-R86239SB/310380057

Rigid VS Ryobi

That one is way different that the one mentioned earlier. The one above is only 3/8 and just 100 foot pounds. Might be good for regular stuff but I'm not sure about a rusted nut that may be difficult to remove.

Ryobi is 300 foot pounds and Ridgid is 485 foot pounds forward and 620 in reverse. They have the deal below for $149 all the time, just currently out of stock, will be back in stock at some point. Just a question of whether you need the extra 320 foot pounds and if it's worth an extra $40 plus now you're into a different battery system.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...y-and-18-Volt-Charger-R86011SB/303037082

Originally Posted by Zebra312
https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Battery-Adapters/dp/B07D4PG5MS

Since I took too long to make a decision and everything is out of stock, etc. I've decided to go with this from Amazon

Not anything remotely close to the choice I would make, but I hope it works out for you.

Yeah, same here, it's like a horror movie, never saw that coming. Still I suppose it should be fine. The main drawback is that it's a battery that you can't use in anything else and who knows what the warranty is on the product.

It will be fine...until the battery is dead, and the tool is obsolete....or the advertised 300 ft-lb is actually 75....or....never mind. I am sure it will be great!

It will be fine...until the battery is dead, and the tool is obsolete....or the advertised 300 ft-lb is actually 75....or....never mind. I am sure it will be great!

Like I said, this is a on a budget tool
wink.gif

I've got cateract surgery coming up soon so until then I'm not spending alot of money on anything.

I'm curious to hear how that no name tool works out for you. I'm eyeballing the Makita Trav linked to, while perusing Amazon there is a direct copy of it with some no name brand that not only looks 99% identical, but actually uses Makita batteries. It's like a worker at the Makita plant (unfortunately some of their stuff is made in China rather than Japan) sneaked out with the plans and started making his own.

jeff

Originally Posted by greenjp
I'm curious to hear how that no name tool works out for you. I'm eyeballing the Makita Trav linked to, while perusing Amazon there is a direct copy of it with some no name brand that not only looks 99% identical, but actually uses Makita batteries. It's like a worker at the Makita plant (unfortunately some of their stuff is made in China rather than Japan) sneaked out with the plans and started making his own.

jeff

Yeah I've noticed a few "clones" myself
wink.gif

Originally Posted by greenjp

jeff

Or that the same factory is also churning out the same tool after hours or they're just contract manufacturers that can make extras on their own. I've gotten some parts from an oem maker of parts that has the logo of original manufacturer blurred out with a grinding wheel.

Are we actually endorsing blatant ripoffs and fakes now?

The only problem with the fakes and ripoffs is that you won't get a good warranty on it. The no name one on Amazon has no mention of a warranty. At least the Ryobi one has a 3 year warranty, Milwaukee is typically 5 years and Ridgid is lifetime.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

The only problem with the fakes and ripoffs is that you won't get a good warranty on it. The no name one on Amazon has no mention of a warranty. At least the Ryobi one has a 3 year warranty, Milwaukee is typically 5 years and Ridgid is lifetime.

That's the only problem you see? Really?

Originally Posted by Wolf359

That's the only problem you see? Really?

Well that's assuming it came of the same factory production line. That seems to happen a lot in China.

It's amazing how many lesser-known branded 1/2 impacts are available on Amazon, and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Assuming these tools really do perform as advertised and are reasonably durable, I would hesitate to buy them because they lack batteries that are compatible with other tools. I prefer to have one or two chargers for all my tools instead of 5 chargers for 5 tools. Of course, this is not to say that well-known brands won't change battery technology in the future, at which point durability is moot and a serviceable tool is tossed to the trash.

I am dealing with that right now...my aging 18V DeWalt set includes a drill, 1/4 impact, and circular saw with two compatible chargers and three batteries. One of the batteries is great (Li-Ion), and the other two (NiCad) die after a few cuts with the saw. New 18V Li-Ion batteries cost nearly as much as a new 20V max tool/battery combo, so I don't plan to replace batteries but, instead, will just give the bare tools away or chuck them when the time comes. Therefore, if I were just buying a single tool (as the OP is), I would not be entirely against a lesser brand as long as it performs as advertised. The key point here is whether the tool performs as advertised...if not, Amazon has a great return policy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RyanY
It's amazing how many lesser-known branded 1/2 impacts are available on Amazon, and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Assuming these tools really do perform as advertised and are reasonably durable, I would hesitate to buy them because they lack batteries that are compatible with other tools. I prefer to have one or two chargers for all my tools instead of 5 chargers for 5 tools. Of course, this is not to say that well-known brands won't change battery technology in the future, at which point durability is moot and a serviceable tool is tossed to the trash.

I am dealing with that right now...my aging 18V DeWalt set includes a drill, 1/4 impact, and circular saw with two compatible chargers and three batteries. One of the batteries is great (Li-Ion), and the other two (NiCad) die after a few cuts with the saw. New 18V Li-Ion batteries cost nearly as much as a new 20V max tool/battery combo, so I don't plan to replace batteries but, instead, will just give the bare tools away or chuck them when the time comes. Therefore, if I were just buying a single tool (as the OP is), I would not be entirely against a lesser brand as long as it performs as advertised. The key point here is whether the tool performs as advertised...if not, Amazon has a great return policy.

I used to have that issue with my Ryobi 18v Nicad batteries, but I haven't really had a lithium battery die on me yet. Plus with Ryobi, they're always doing sales so I have a bunch of batteries, lost track now probably at least a half dozen plus a bunch of other tools. I use the drill and tire inflator the most. Usually during black friday, they'd do a sale on a drill/battery combo and last time I got one it was $60. Sometimes a battery alone would cost you $50 so it was well worth it. I'd probably have 5+ drills because of that, but I think I just have around 3 because I've loaned them out in the past and never got them back....

Zebra I'm actually on your side of this, I would certainly not buy something that's an obvious clone or borderline counterfeit. If I'm going cheap I'll head over to Harbor Freight, at least I'll know who sold it to me
smile.gif

Makita and every other non-Chinese company who chose to move production there took a risk given that country's well known lack of regard for IP and those Chineseium knockoffs may well be the result. Hopefully they're starting to wise up...

jeff

Back