logic behind no trans dipstick?

If it's at the operating temperature, you attaches the code reader and see if the level is low. It's quick and clean.

I'm not sure if them not looking at it for hours had anything to do with the dipstick.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
If it's at the operating temperature, you attaches the code reader and see if the level is low. It's quick and clean.

I'm not sure if them not looking at it for hours had anything to do with the dipstick.

You can use a scan tool to check the temperature, but you have to check the level using the tiny dipstick in the fill port on the passenger side of the transmission. Ford 10R80.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
My understanding is that one of the big things that degrades fluids is exposure to air, and the very small amount of moisture that condenses out of the air and into the fluid. Over time that can add up to a lot of oxidation and moisture. When you have a dip-stick every time you go up or down a mountain, or the barometric pressure changes a small amount of air moves in or out of the air space above the fluid in your trany. When it moves in it carries new oxygen and water molecules (moisture). Some of that interacts. A sealed system does not have the fluid degrade anywhere near as fast.

I have seen some engineering specifications for some fluids and there useful life that specified different life expectancy for use in sealed and unsealed systems.

The first "only right" answer. And in this competitive days....no car company builds planned obsolescence into their vejicles if they want to stay in business.

This begs the question: How can ATF last the lifetime of the vehicle? The answer has everything to do with efficiency. As complicated as the automatic transmission has become, it's also become far more efficient. Just as engine design and lubricant quality have enabled the use of thinner oils that last longer and deliver better fuel economy and performance, automatic transmission design has made similar advances. As automatic transmissions are more efficient and built to tighter tolerances, ATF doesn't heat up as much, reducing wear and oxidation. Older automatic transmissions needed service every 30,000 or 60,000 miles, but the ATF in newer automatic transmissions can last upward of 150,000 miles without issue.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting these transmissions do not have a breather? That the shaft seals properly hold the built-up pressure due to operating heat-up and the vacuum due to cold ambient temps and shut-down? I suppose it's possible... but it strikes me as not typical. I could of course be wrong, here. Others?

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Are you suggesting these transmissions do not have a breather? That the shaft seals properly hold the built-up pressure due to operating heat-up and the vacuum due to cold ambient temps and shut-down? I suppose it's possible... but it strikes me as not typical. I could of course be wrong, here. Others?

Good question, I don't know. What I do know is I never change my tranny fluid and keep my cars till around 170k with no issues. But....my fluid never turns colors....always looks the same. My theory is, if the fluid is not turning black, I have a well designed tranny that does not over-heat. Hence the no fluid change.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Because in the analysis of numerous transmission failures at GM, rag lint was found contaminating the valve body and causing the failure.

Whether professional or amateur mechanics were that careless doesn't matter. Careless mechanics caused failures and warranty claims.

It was decided that non-serviceable transmissions were less likely to have warranty claims.

Got a referance or link that will verify your assertion. I've also heard claims once a hair on a valve body can cause issues with shifting. Just never saw any documented evidence.

Reduced contamination from moisture (breather valves are small but dipstick are expensive to seal and offer more opportunities to introduce contamination), better ATF cooling, and better ATF formulations allow for longer drain intervals which reduce operator costs.

How?

#1 Not one modern day sedan can have its transmission serviced without having to raise the vehicle (jack stands, ramps, lifts).
#2 ATF will get serviced no more than 3x-4x during the vehicles lifespan. This reduces the probably of introducing contamination as well as under/overfilling, etc.
#3 Rebuilding automotive transmissions is a dying business so there are less and less shops which can perform the service correctly.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Reduced contamination from moisture (breather valves are small but dipstick are expensive to seal and offer more opportunities to introduce contamination), better ATF cooling, and better ATF formulations allow for longer drain intervals which reduce operator costs.

How?

#1 Not one modern day sedan can have its transmission serviced without having to raise the vehicle (jack stands, ramps, lifts).
#2 ATF will get serviced no more than 3x-4x during the vehicles lifespan. This reduces the probably of introducing contamination as well as under/overfilling, etc.
#3 Rebuilding automotive transmissions is a dying business so there are less and less shops which can perform the service correctly.

I think that's true of just about everything on a car?

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Wouldn't the transmission fluid filter catch the lint?

If it's a good filter I'd think so. If it's a strainer I'm dubious, unless if it was a really fine strainer.

Back