2015 Jeep GC EcoDiesel Oil

Originally Posted by 390pi
Why is 5w40 Rotella okay for the Cummins 6.7 w/ DPF in the Ram 2500/3500/4500?
15w40 was approved prior to 2019.

Are heavy duty DPFs less susceptible to perm damage from non low-SAPS oil than the light duty DPFs?

Depends on DPF design. That is commercial engine. It is DPF design and emissions they have to meet. Are you sure that engine and those vehicles are in the same emissions schedule as GC? I really do not know, but I suspect it has to do something with design of DPF and emission standards. Same goes for big rigs.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Rollins
...or/and they did not want to sacrifice miles from the OCI.Either way ,C3 229.51 5w-40 with a reasonable OCI or even E6 228.51 10w-40 (if the climate allows it) is a better idea than a full-SAPS 5w-40.

That is irrelevant when it comes to DPF pollution. They sacrificed DPF in order to band aid engineering problem. Plethora of C3 oils that can easily do same OCI as T6.

C3 is stricter spec then A3/B4, it doesn't make sense FCA recommends that over C3 (in UK) just for wear sake. It makes no sense.

Originally Posted by chrisri
...or/and they did not want to sacrifice miles from the OCI.Either way ,C3 229.51 5w-40 with a reasonable OCI or even E6 228.51 10w-40 (if the climate allows it) is a better idea than a full-SAPS 5w-40.

That is irrelevant when it comes to DPF pollution. They sacrificed DPF in order to band aid engineering problem. Plethora of C3 oils that can easily do same OCI as T6.

C3 is stricter spec then A3/B4, it doesn't make sense FCA recommends that over C3 (in UK) just for wear sake. It makes no sense.

You need c3 because that's a Fiat engine

C3 is stricter from emission protection stand point. However, it is starting point for manufacturers specifications. In itself A3 or C3 are not that strict compared to MB 229.5 or MB 229.51, VW 511.00 etc.

C3 is stricter or same to the A3/B4 from wear stand point. At least by the ACEA requirements. Obviously E6 oils are superior to both in diesel applications if DPF system doesn't have inherited problems from factory, like some had. I've used nothing but C2 or C3 in some vehicles (per OEM) and had problems with DPF simply because they were city driven (delivery) and had inadequately designed DPF system for commercial use. On other hand, used E6 oils in personal vehicles intended for C3 and had zero problems, however, I do pay attention how I use it and when a car needs to regenerate. It can be a pain when living in a city.

Last edited:

Hi Chrisri
As has been said Fiat used the oil spec change as a 'band aid' fix to a wider engineering problem. Easier to kick the problem down the road than actually do the right thing by their customers. Just my opinion of course.

I presume the UK opted for A3/B4 because an E9 5W/40 is near impossible to find here. Plenty of 5w/30 and 10w/40 but not 5w/40. With our mild climate I cant help but think an E9 in 10w/40 would be better suited if Jeep are adamant about dropping the C3 spec.

Back