2015 Forester - Clunk-ish/Hollow sound after performing the rear spring recall?

2015 Forester Premium
I had one of the rear spring broke on me a few weeks ago. There is an open recall for these springs, so I got the recall done last Friday. I drove 45 miles on Sunday to test if everything is alright. The driving feel is back to normal but heard a clunk-ish/hollow sound at least 5-6X during this 45 miles run. I can hear sound only while turning at slower speeds (no connection to road imperfections). I can not pinpoint the side of the vehicle but it's from the rear for sure. At highway speeds, I do not hear such sound.

Can anyone offer an educated guess what this could be?

I am on a fence about calling the dealership yet. I don't want them to charge me $159/hr just to tell me that they can not replicate the sound.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
No-No!
I'd take your car back to the dealer who installed the spring(s) and have them recheck their work. And make sure they're not charging you a single dime for their labor.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
No-No!
I'd take your car back to the dealer who installed the spring(s) and have them recheck their work. And make sure they're not charging you a single dime for their labor.

Thank you.
I am expecting, we do not hear such a sound results and charge me a fee. How should it be handled?

Sound like it might be a hafl- shaft CV joint bad.

That would make sense.

Other thing would be they didn't put the spring in the perch properly or forgot an isolator.

I would bet on the axle failing though..

Subaru Owes you that axle as the geometry being off previously would have put the axle in strain.

We lost an axle in our new crosstrek.

- Ken

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Sound like it might be a hafl- shaft CV joint bad.

That would make sense.

Other thing would be they didn't put the spring in the perch properly or forgot an isolator.

I would bet on the axle failing though..

Subaru Owes you that axle as the geometry being off previously would have put the axle in strain.

We lost an axle in our new crosstrek.

- Ken

We never heard such sounds before the spring replacement, even with the broken spring. The sound seems to come from the opposite side of the broken spring. The spring was broken on the rear passenger side and sound comes from the left (and/or while turning left).

The axle breaking is a result of a broken spring? I don't know how possible it will be to convince Subaru.

The dealership is picking the car up soon. I hope it is not anything major.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn

The dealership is picking the car up soon. I hope it is not anything major.

You can calll Subaru and ask for assitance.

I got half off our axle job last Fall just calling Customer Assistance.

It was $680 for the axle job.

You can convince Subaru of America to pay for the repair job since your car actually had a broken spring and you could have been injured in an accident.

I think they would surely cover a bad axle or wheel bearing in this case.
Just call Subaru Of America and Sound like you have been victimized.

Have your VIN number and Date of Purchase.

Subaru Customer/Retailer Services 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

Does it have a rear sway bar? It could be worn or damaged links that were compressed unevenly or damaged due to the uneven ride height. First place I would look.

No-No!

Thank you.
I am expecting, we do not hear such a sound results and charge me a fee. How should it be handled?

Yeah, if you're talking West Herr Subaru in OP, that's likely how it will go. Of all the West Herr stores, I don't care for their Subaru outfit, although it's been a couple years since I've dealt with them. I've had great luck with their other brand's service departments.

Last edited:
Update,

Just got a call stating that some bolt was loose and they fixed it. The mechanic drove about 5 miles to check but I asked them to make another round before delivering it to me. I hope the problem is fixed.

@JTK, I am way south to West Herr. The service and parts dept of my local dealership are good. They are rather expensive for labor (and cheap for parts) but I have never had complaints with them (other than the labor rate), With the pandemic who knows if their regular mechanics are even working so, I was worried. And to lose trust, all you need is once incident.

I had a similar problem once on my Accord after I'd done new shocks. It would clunk once as I was backing out of the driveway and then never again during the drive. Turns out I'd forgotten to snug up a swaybar link.

No-No!

Thank you.

Always be friendly & courteous. If you're not satisfied then ask to speak to a manager and explain you concerns.

Now that I got the invoice, they replaced Suspension Sway Bar Link Bolt. Bolt Flange 10X80. Part Number: 901000360 (M000360) and flange nut, Part Number: 902380019 (N380019)

I can't find the flange nut in this diagram, https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru__/66859726__6029059/REAR-SUSPENSION/G23-201-02.html

Thanks for all the comments on the thread. I will drive again tomorrow and hopefully, it is all fixed.

Did they do it "free" or charge you?

I hope that's it. They could have broken the part replacing the spring, or the sag from the broken spring broke the link on the torsion bar - since the bar was trying to hold the car up.

- Ken

Last edited:
Back