Exide Battery files for bankruptcy

Not good, fewer battery makers equals less competition.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by michaelluscher
I had nothing but trouble with their batteries

What brand are you using currently?.... in all five vehicles in your signature?

Fifty years ago they were the best auto batteries availiable and I tested all manufactures batteries at Argonne Labs for their electric vehicle program. A great name down the drain. I feel bad for the company and especially those who worked there. Ed

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Struggling under EPA cleanup mandates, maybe under the new administration they can find relief. Who knows.

So, they shouldn't be responsible for safe handling of heavy metals?
I'm failing to see what the criticism is, if there is something more specific please elaborate...but otherwise blaming the EPA for a failing business seems misguided.
And the "new" administration has been in place for 3.5 years. So, how many more years are needed? 12?

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Shame!
I hate to see any company and its employees struggle.

Agree. I bought an Exide at HD last year and have been happy. Hopefully they can recover from this and maintain Domestic manufacturing.

Originally Posted by Davejam
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Struggling under EPA cleanup mandates, maybe under the new administration they can find relief. Who knows.

So, they shouldn't be responsible for safe handling of heavy metals?
I'm failing to see what the criticism is, if there is something more specific please elaborate...but otherwise blaming the EPA for a failing business seems misguided.
And the "new" administration has been in place for 3.5 years. So, how many more years are needed? 12?

Comments involving the EPA don't go down well with the moderators. Too close to politics.
coffee2.gif

Looks like they're trying to shake off the two recycling plants rather than clean them up. No mention that the company plans to shut down any new battery production.

Last edited:
From above: Is the big, bad government saddling the poor battery company with compliance of some kind?

Nothing wrong with the real costs of something being realized AND PAID FOR.

If people did the right thing in the first place it'd be cheaper and cleaner for everybody.

...and don't give me any, "Grandpa polluted so it's OK if I do" nonsense.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by michaelluscher
I had nothing but trouble with their batteries

What brand are you using currently?.... in all five vehicles in your signature?

Caddy has a Auto Start/Stop dual AGM big/small setup with whatever it came with, it's a lease so it's irrelevant

The rest are Duralast or Autocraft, from 6 months to 6 years old

They aren't perfect by any means, but they both offer me easy 10 minute drive at 9pm on a Sunday warranty exchanges, testing and charging

And occasionally a discount promo or coupon code

I had a run in with an Exide in the Villager, I'm fairly convinced an internal short reduced it's alternator life, and it off gassed like no other

It completely ruined the positive and negative battery cables, corroded and rotted them all the way to the frame and starter

Do you now how difficult it is to track down NOS battery cables for a 2001 Villager is?

They're very oddly shaped, with extra ground points and spade connectors, creating suitable replacements with universal off the shelf items would have been a nightmare

Ford dealer told me to pound sand, Nissan tried to help but it's discontinued

List price was $500+, luckily I had some help from a retired Ford development engineer on a message board that got the prices adjusted to sanity.

Gerry's a great guy, gives us all the ins and outs of the Villager/Quest because he was there at Ford from when it was on the drawing board

That Duralast Gold in the Villager is 4+ years old now, not a SPEC of corrosion or oxidation anywhere to be found

Where as with the Exide, I'd be scrubbing and cleaning every 3 months

I tried exchanging it, but they were busy going bankrupt the last time, so my only option was a crotchety Indy parts house that couldn't care less

With my experience, that brand can rot for all I care

Goodyear is different, I don't like them, or their products, but the troublesome set of Assurance Fuel Max's I had were quickly and reasonably exchanged without argument

I can respect that...

Back