Noob with Royce Union bike

Not sure what tools are required, once the crank arms come off, something for the lock ring. Easy enough to look up.

Might have some luck with removing the seatpost and dribbling oil down the seat tube. Might need to shake it up, get it around. Might be an easier way than trying to take it apart.

Originally Posted by bowlofturtle
Just a thought...

Been watching some youtube videos on older bikes, assuming I can take off the crankset. Would it just ball bearings that I need to add grease to? The noise came back and I wanted to try and wrench on this for free. Cost me nothing but a tube of grease assume i could get it loose. No luck on the headset.

The noise came back today. It doesn't affect the riding but kinda annoying to be the guy with a creaky bike going down the street.

Take off the left crank arm and then loosen the locking nut if equiped, then the locking ring. The crank assembly can then be pulled out from the sprocket side. You likely will find a pair of large caged bearings. Clean them up and the inside of the crank housing. Pack the bearings, apply a thin coating of grease on the race cones and I like to smear some inside the crank housing to protect from rust. Reassemble and tighten the adjusting cone just enough so that there is very little or no play.Very, slightly loose is better than too tight with the bearings.

Last edited:
I bought my girlfriend a same color 10 speed Royce Union in 1974. It was one of the better department store bargain brands at the time with a lugged frame, center pull brakes, and maybe a better cottered crank compared to the "cheap" one piece "ashtabula" type on dimestore brands. All steel components and quite heavy.

Bike is long gone. Girlfriend is still here.

Be careful. I would disassemble that thing 100%, clean, lube and reassemble. Otherwise you risk a head shattering crash if something lets loose or binds up. Have fun.

Obsolete cottered cranks are difficult to work with, unless you have the special press they require, and spare cotter pins of the right size; there were many dimensional variations, depending on country of manufacture, etc. Hammering on the cotter pins can wreck the crank bearings, as well as the pins.

Vintage circa 1971, I'll guess.

I wish i didn't get all that messy while taking the bike apart because i would have love to take pictures.

So i found a small bike shop near me. One man shop. I had a chat with him on the phone.

I needed 9.5mm cotter pin cranks. He was able to find 4, sold them all to me for $12. He thought they had different tapers, they ended being the same.

Punch and hammer knocked out the old one. I thought i would just get it done and try, but the BITOG in me gentle tried to remove the locking ring. It came off by hand no issue. I look at the w/e you call it, It looked like a 24mm open wrench could turn it. Sure enough with little effort, 24mm wrench got it good. Knocked out the other pin and the whole internals came out.

It appeared to have 7 ball bearings, all inside a little cage. It had dirty dry greased on there. Both sides but overall clear and still smooth. Since I didn't plan on doing all this, the only grease i had on hand was white lithium spray grease and Red N Tacky from my grease gun. I used Red N tacky. Cleaned it all up, lubed the spinny collars, even a little to the locking ring. Smashed new cotter pin in and DONE.

100% that was my noise and where the play came from. Everything is solid, I want to say it rides smoother but I'm sure that's all in my head. Bike doesn't need anything else, other than maybe a front brake setup. But its good to ride now. Actually i might want to try and lower my front seized handlebars. I somewhat think, it was this high because the old shift levers could be on the stem.

I'll post pictures soon of it all cleaned up. I'm just super amazed at how this bike was so easily taken apart for a 30-45 year old bike. But these rust belt cars can't last 10 years. I'm so used to broke/seized bolts.

I have a Jamis hybrid gifted back to me from brother in-law. That brand has a solid following and it's a very nice bike.
They offer a few categories other than full on MTB or road/touring- ie; comfort-hybrid, recreation or city bike styles in the $340 to $450 range .
Pretty certain I bought a new Royce Union in 1985 or so, bike for my wife's birthday. We'd only been married a couple of years and I was proud of myself for remembering her favorite color - whatever it was .

jk BLUE
grin2.gif

bike

bike2

Last edited:
Hi all,

First time in the bicycle section, like with most people this shelter in place has got me looking for things to keep busy. I just want to cruise the neighborhood. I have a smooth bike path behind the house, so i might do that.

I haven't been on a bicycle since like 13 years old on a kids huffy. And today i'm nearing 35. I know absolutely nothing about bicycles.

I just picked off a cheap bike for $50. Its a old Royce Union, 10 speed that has been covered to single speed. I was wondering if anyone can help me identify parts on this, if something doesn't look right, what year this bike might be. I'll provide what i discovered in the past weekend (somethings could be wrong).

- Tires look like Kenda K35, seems to have some sidewall cracks.

- Has old cotter pin crank, left crank/pedal has a LOT of play.
- Some reason my rear is in a lot of pain with this saddle.
- 48 marking on the front gear, so i assume 48 tooth.
- front tire makes a metal clinking noise while rolling on the road.

I'm considering swapping handlebars out. I'm not sure if this is actually my style, they seem to narrow. I would like to add a front brake setup, any thought on how to do that for the cheap.

Also, i thought this would be a metric bike but when my seat adjustment bolt was not a 14mm but it worked.

View attachment 23342

View attachment 23343

View attachment 23344

View attachment 23345

View attachment 23346

View attachment 23347
Hi all,

First time in the bicycle section, like with most people this shelter in place has got me looking for things to keep busy. I just want to cruise the neighborhood. I have a smooth bike path behind the house, so i might do that.

I haven't been on a bicycle since like 13 years old on a kids huffy. And today i'm nearing 35. I know absolutely nothing about bicycles.

I just picked off a cheap bike for $50. Its a old Royce Union, 10 speed that has been covered to single speed. I was wondering if anyone can help me identify parts on this, if something doesn't look right, what year this bike might be. I'll provide what i discovered in the past weekend (somethings could be wrong).

- Tires look like Kenda K35, seems to have some sidewall cracks.

- Has old cotter pin crank, left crank/pedal has a LOT of play.
- Some reason my rear is in a lot of pain with this saddle.
- 48 marking on the front gear, so i assume 48 tooth.
- front tire makes a metal clinking noise while rolling on the road.

I'm considering swapping handlebars out. I'm not sure if this is actually my style, they seem to narrow. I would like to add a front brake setup, any thought on how to do that for the cheap.

Also, i thought this would be a metric bike but when my seat adjustment bolt was not a 14mm but it worked.

View attachment 23342

View attachment 23343

View attachment 23344

View attachment 23345

View attachment 23346

View attachment 23347
0D7E4E52-F6D9-4031-8533-016EBB756BD9.jpeg
0D7E4E52-F6D9-4031-8533-016EBB756BD9.jpeg

I have the same bike! Picked up for $20 and finished what someone else started. Now a rideable fixie with flip flop rear hub( I prefer the freewheel). Just a beach cruiser for me so works perfect for that!

Back