Unless it is a misprint?

The new Pennzoil Platinum API SP 5w-30 is actually a 5w-20. Its 100C viscosity is only 8.6. I wish I would have known that before doing an oil change and putting 6 quarts in my Colorado 3.6 V6 today.

It's summer, why not use 10W40?
You may get a thinner 10W40 then you will have a real W30 based on your logic.

Originally Posted by 340_Magnum
The new Pennzoil Platinum API SP 5w-30 is actually a 5w-20. Its 100C viscosity is only 8.6. I wish I would have known that before doing an oil change and putting 6 quarts in my Colorado 3.6 V6 today.

Can you give us a link where you read that?

I'm dumping it tomorrow and going back to a real 5w-30 like Mobil 1 or Kendall SN Plus which are 11.0 100C viscosities

I just looked at the website. The 5w20 is listed also as 8.6. So it's definitely a misprint on the 5w30. All the sets of numbers for both the 5w20 and 5w30 are listed the same.

They will fix the website soon. Someone will report it quickly.

Last edited:
I'm dumping it tomorrow and going back to a real 5w-30 like Mobil 1 or Kendall SN Plus which are 11.0 100C viscosities

I would not dump it over a minor viscosity issue. Platinum is an awesome oil, and one time use of a slightly thinner oil won't hurt anything.

If you have to dump it, clean the drain pan good, catch it, rebottle, and save it for the winter.

It is an error in the data sheet. I put it in my calculator, and it resulted in a negative VII content.

>> Automated calculator for the A_Harman index, VII content, and base-oil viscosity a>

That said, for a given HTHS, you want the lowest KV100 for best wear protection because it will have the thickest base oil (HTFS = BO DV150 in my calculator) and least VII, which will make it the closest to a monograde.

I'll stick with it since you fellas have convinced me that the viscosity of the 5w-30 is a typo. Hopefully SOPUS puts the correct specs up soon.

I am guessing that Shell runs basic tests like viscosity before each batch heads to the bottling line.

It's a misprint and a waste of good oil if it gets dumped over this.

Back