Echo SRM 230 idling high

Having issue with an Echo SRM 230. It will start and run but idles high.

I have messed with the throttle stop trying to lower it but it just cuts out. The odd thing is if you unscrew the gas cap it will idle normal but as soon as you tighten it back up it will start acting funny.

I stuck a new carb on it thinking it was the problem but it acts the same.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Sounds like a clogged vent in the gas cap.

It could be the tank vent. The vent isn't in the cap on these models, it is the type that is located at the end of one of the tubes exiting the gas tank through a 3-hole grommet. A picture of the vent is below...

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

I'm very glad that you posted this, and that I came across it. Having the exact same problem with my SRM 230. Looking forward to giving this a try.

Idling high suggests it could also be an air leak (additional air entering the combustion chamber not through the carburetor throat).

There could be several locations for that to occur: crankcase seals, carb not mounted snugly against the intake insulator, intake insulator not mounted snugly to the cylinder, crack in intake insulator, damage to gaskets, etc.

At this point, maybe spray carb cleaner in and around the carb sealing points and as best as one can around the crank seals. Good luck!

I was kinda thinking vacuum leak. Only thing I don't understand is why the gas cap being on or off would affect it.

Back