Walmart in Canada closing Lube and Tire Express

Walmart just announced they are closing their Lube and Tire Express Centers in Canada. It's supposed to affect 550 jobs. Just can't compete with the dedicated lube shops and Canadian Tire I guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GSCJR
Our local W*M auto service was converted into a Mr. Lube years ago.

Yup, the 50 stores with Mr. Lube are unaffected. I wonder if Mr. Lube will be making a move into the stores closing their lube centers.

Last edited:
Ours here in US have been "Temporally closed" since March. Hopefully they reopen soone cause they're cheapest to get tires or Lifetime balance done in most places

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMguy84
Ours here in US have been "Temporally closed" since March. Hopefully they reopen soone cause they're cheapest to get tires or Lifetime balance done in most places

Dave

01.gif

And they use the correct torque
happy2.gif

Most tire shops overtighten the lug nuts, just zip the air gun, like 10x the torque it should receive, and uneven at that
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Walmart just announced they are closing their Lube and Tire Express Centers in Canada. It's supposed to affect 550 jobs. Just can't compete with the dedicated lube shops and Canadian Tire I guess.

Most times Walmart uses the space afterwards to expand their stores to sell more grocery items. That's what they've done around the Detroit area. No more lubes, brakes and new tire installations. All gone now. The old regular Walmarts are now all Super Walmart, with a full grocery lineup.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

Most times Walmart uses the space afterwards to expand their stores to sell more grocery items. That's what they've done around the Detroit area. No more lubes, brakes and new tire installations. All gone now. The old regular Walmarts are now all Super Walmart, with a full grocery lineup.

Think we still have a few Walmarts that still do tire/lube around me. Don't see many anymore though.....

My parents purchased tires three separate times from Walmart each time they went on a trip to visit they had a blowout. Unless the Phoenix area was getting defective tires or counterfeit nothing but issues.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
My parents purchased tires three separate times from Walmart each time they went on a trip to visit they had a blowout. Unless the Phoenix area was getting defective tires or counterfeit nothing but issues.

Back in 2017, My brother had a set of Douglas all season installed on his Camry and no issues ??

BUT on the other hand, I had a Nexen tires on my old Suburban and had one rear blow out going over train tracks during a Chicago winter storm

So i guess it's hit and miss ??

Dave

Last edited:
Here in the US they run them under poorly. Penny wise pound foolish type thing.

Cut good workers hours, don;t have enough people to keep the lines moving on the weekend, and even run off the better people. I only used them for tires and they had cars lined up yet only 1 or 2 people working. That and bad training did not help either.
Could make more money if it was manged better. But seems it is run like any other "section" at a walmart.

too bad. when i had my trusty ex hertz 2004 toyota corolla it got regular $20 conventional 3k mile, or later in its life $60 synthetic 10k mile, oil changes and two sets of new goodyear viva tires at wm from 28k to 103k miles. for simple car cars with simple needs wm was not bad.

I believe it's a trend for Walmart. I've seen some of our local stores shut down their tire and lube operations and expand their grocery or other services into that space. Online shopping is a good example. That has been booming for Walmart.

Walmart Canada has really gone downhill IMO. Always out of stock; terrible auto supplies dept & terrible produce quality. My assumptions are based off Calgary & Prince George stores.

I did use a Walmart Mr. Lube in Calgary for a tire swap and the staff were great there though.

I won't be sad to see them go. I've found Walmart to be quite underwhelming overall in recent years.

TLE/Mr. Lube hasn't been anything impressive in recent years, either. About 15 years ago, our local store had a TLE, and they were just fine when I dropped of my full size spare mounted on a steelie to transfer onto the alloy rim that had a damaged tire. Quick, and cheap, they never actually touched my car though.

When I bought a battery many years later, then had to do a warranty claim on it, they had converted it to a Mr Lube at that point, though they still carried some automotive supplies. The Walmart clerk had no clue how to handle it, and a Mr Lube employee trying to "help" the Walmart employee was belligerent, and tried to find all sorts of reasons why he shouldn't take the battery back. Guy had a deer in the headlights look, so I just ended up going to another location where they handled it just fine.

For anything automotive, I find all I will do at Walmart now is buy something like oil or washer fluid off the shelf, and nothing more. And on those things, they aren't that competitive price-wise anymore, so really very little reason to use them, except when they are the only thing open at night, and I need the item right away.

Outside of automotive, I've been using curbside grocery pickup a fair bit lately. Their service I found the poorest out of all the local grocery stores - providing me with many poor quality produce items, or close to expiry perishables (like milk).

I used Walmart for their auto services for probably 10 years prior to us buying our first house (I have a garage finally!). Had an issue once with a TPMS sensor that got damaged during install. They reimbursed me for a replacement from the local dealer on-the-spot. I was very happy with their service overall.

The local Walmart shut down their TLE. But they didn't expand their grocery selection and their online pickup system is an automated system.

Back