Re-using good coolant?

I'm about to perform a timing belt change on my Toyota with the red coolant. I drained the radiator and half the engine block. It tests good with the bulb dropper colored balls thingy, so I bottled it back up. Seems like a waste to just toss it. Anyone else reuse after a timing belt change or other job requiring the radiator to be emptied?

Thanks.

The tester with the floating balls just indicates the specific gravity of the coolant which infers the percentage of antifreeze to water in the solution. It doesn't really tell you about the condition of the coolant or it's ability to to prevent corrosion. The best answer to your question is to ask how long it's been in there? If it's been a few years, I would put new coolant in it.

I say reuse it, but only because a seal might leak on the new water pump or whatever.

After a week of success, change it.

31.gif

Replace the coolant. Zerex Asian, or Pentofrost A1 or A4
A1 is the red concentrate. A4 is the pink 50/50 version.

Pentofrost is sold at any parts store except Autozone. Zerex Asian is sold at Napa and Walmart
smile.gif

For the timing belt, I hope you got the Aisin kit (or went to the dealer, NOT eBay!)

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I'm a UPS semi mechanic and we do it all the time.

How many gallons go into a semis cooling system VS a gallon in the car?

Toyota pink is newer than the red, and is stated by Toyota to be backwards compatible. However they are still selling the red the last time I checked. My local dealer sells it for about $18 a gallon which isn't too bad for a concentrate.

If it was a few months old, I'd say to consider it, maybe after filtering it.

If it's over a year, just replace. The addditives deplete, so it's good to replace them.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
For the timing belt, I hope you got the Aisin kit (or went to the dealer, NOT eBay!)

It's a Continental Contitech Pro series kit. OEM supplier parts:

MITSUBOSHI belt, KOYO idler pulleys, AISIN Water pump + gasket, and NTN hydraulic tensioner pin.

I'm pretty confident about the quality of it.

Originally Posted by Jarpin

MITSUBOSHI belt, KOYO idler pulleys, AISIN Water pump + gasket, and NTN hydraulic tensioner pin.

So no continental parts in it?!?

Seems like you did good with the kit.

I'm about to perform a timing belt change on my Toyota with the red coolant. I drained the radiator and half the engine block. It tests good with the bulb dropper colored balls thingy, so I bottled it back up. Seems like a waste to just toss it. Anyone else reuse after a timing belt change or other job requiring the radiator to be emptied?

Thanks.

The "anti- freezing" qualities in coolant (or concentration) is not what wears out which is what that tester is indicating.. I would put new coolant with distilled water in to maintain the system from corrosion as long as you have it drained.

I've never reused coolant. I do a complete change when doing a timing belt and only use the Toyota Red in my cars that call for Red. It's around $9/gal mixed 50:50 with distilled water and it was made for your engine.
My newer Toyotas use the Pink.

That ball thingy tells you virtually nothing. A pH strip will give you proper info.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
That ball thingy tells you virtually nothing. A pH strip will give you proper info.

They measure different things, both are important.

Let me clarify. The ball thingy tells you virtually nothing about the "life" of the coolant. It just tells you if you have enough coolant to protect from boil-over and freezing. That property of the coolant will never wear out.

Sounds good! Glad to hear the Conti kit has the OEM parts
smile.gif

Back