Shopping for New Generator

Originally Posted by doolah02
Anyone familiar with Ford and Westinghouse generators?

Be aware, Westinghouse hasn't been an actual consumer grade company for a LOOOONG time. The name is just licensed for application to cheap chinese junk. The only remnants of the Westinghouse corporation that are really related to the original are Westinghouse Nuclear (nuclear reactors) and Teco-Westinghouse (industrial motors, wind turbines, switchgear, etc.)

Have you done all the needed homework for a generator. Figuring out your load? How will you connect it? Fuel; gas or propane?

If its for hurricane season then you can plan ahead and get several 5 gallon containers of gas. If its for unknown power failures, keeping enough gas around all the time is a PIA.

For you in FL, do you want to run the A/C? Well pump, refrig, freezer? A digital clamp on ammeter can help calculate the load.

OP, if you have electric water heating be aware that if you rewire a switch into the water-heater to run a 240 VAC water-heater on 120 VAC it will only use 1/4 the amount of watts. This is because at 1/2 voltage it will draw 1/2 the current. And 1/2 times 1/2 = 1/4 of course with only 1/4 as much heat going into the water it will take 4 times longer to heat up a cold tank of water. But this could be a very significant reduction in the amount of power you require from your generator, which might even allow you to get by with a smaller generator, and or apply a much lighter load to your generator so it is not worked as hard in the hot Florida heat.

The real down side it that if multiple people want to take a shower, they may have to wait a while between showers for the slower recover time of the water-heater when ran in this mode, but it is a lot easier on a generator.

My water heater is 120 volts. I think I can get by with a 5000 watt generator.

Ideally you want more wattage than you need, but the problem then is with fuel consumption, which can get pretty high.

You have to consider things like will you have fuel on hand? Will you be able to get it?

I'm in South Florida so fuel is no issue, might have to wait in line awhile but I can get it. My previous generator was
an old 10 hp Generac 5000 which ran everything good.

I'm in South Florida so fuel is no issue, might have to wait in line awhile but I can get it. My previous generator was
an old 10 hp Generac 5000 which ran everything good.

What happened to that generator? Most people do not run generators enough to wear them out.

Northern Tools has many generators on its website.

I bought it in 1997. Has an extremely loud muffler and very difficult to replace hoses.
I gave it to my nephew.

Check out the Predator line at Harbor Freight. I had an old Coleman 5kw powered by a noisy/thirsty/hard to start Tecumseh HM100. I bought a 6.5 kw Predator and it will allow me to get along just fine come hurricane season.
grin2.gif

I bought it in 1997. Has an extremely loud muffler and very difficult to replace hoses.
I gave it to my nephew.

A new one will only be marginally quieter unless you buy a $1500 and up Honda, Yamaha, etc.

I've got a ~3300 watt inverter style generator that came "free" with a new travel trailer my inlaws bought a few years ago. They keep it at my house so I can service it. It's a "powerhouse PH3300i". It's pretty loud for a totally enclosed, sound insulated unit and a pain to maintain because of being totally enclosed. It vibrates a lot as well. This is what you get in the under maybe $800 crowd.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
OP, if you have electric water heating be aware that if you rewire a switch into the water-heater to run a 240 VAC water-heater on 120 VAC it will only use 1/4 the amount of watts. This is because at 1/2 voltage it will draw 1/2 the current. And 1/2 times 1/2 = 1/4 of course with only 1/4 as much heat going into the water it will take 4 times longer to heat up a cold tank of water. But this could be a very significant reduction in the amount of power you require from your generator, which might even allow you to get by with a smaller generator, and or apply a much lighter load to your generator so it is not worked as hard in the hot Florida heat.

The real down side it that if multiple people want to take a shower, they may have to wait a while between showers for the slower recover time of the water-heater when ran in this mode, but it is a lot easier on a generator.

You better go back for a refresher course on Ohm's law and basic electricity

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR
Originally Posted by JimPghPA

You better go back for a refresher course on Ohm's law and basic electricity

Not trying to be particularly abrasive but you might want to check up on it yourself. a 240v water heater run on 120v will draw aprox 1/4 the watts.

which is what it appears to me he was saying?

a 240v electric water heater that has a 4500w element will only pull 3380w at 208 volts. and ~~1125@120

Do you have an idea who makes Predator engines?

chinese factory under honda blueprints

Originally Posted by Rand

Not trying to be particularly abrasive but you might want to check up on it yourself. a 240v water heater run on 120v will draw aprox 1/4 the watts.

which is what it appears to me he was saying?

a 240v electric water heater that has a 4500w element will only pull 3380w at 208 volts. and ~~1125@120

That's correct for a dual voltage unit and some dual element types- it was that part about "rewire'- you don't just do that for any of them without risk.

Probably should have stated that more clearly in hindsight- my error. thanks for pointing that out

Originally Posted by eljefino
Do you have an idea who makes Predator engines?

chinese factory under honda blueprints

I'm anti-China but I have to say the ones I have on go karts run great (the 99 dollar 212cc ones).

Back