Best entry level riding mower

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Have about an Acre to mow and am looking at an entry level riding mower

Moved to a property that requires multiple mowers- I already have a regular 22" self propelled mower, and a wheeled string trimmer.

I have a bit of slope, pretty mild.

I cant seem to find any real discussion on the matter and always enjoy the dialog here.

Thanks

Uncle Dave

Get a used one in good condition off Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.
I prefer one with hydrostatic and a fairly tight turning radius if there are corners or obstacles.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by UncleDave

I cant seem to find any real discussion on the matter

Look in the lawn mower subforum. Here is one recent discussion on budget riding mowers:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4427489/Need_Help_finding_good_budget_

Another one:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../1/help-with-riding-mower-for-small-yard

Are you looking for a tractor or zero-turn?

tractor vs zero

Shouldl have posted in the mower subsection my bad- sorry.

Husq vs MTD products - Ok ...why?

Last edited:
about 2/3rds the space is really more of a field than a "lawn" nothing big brush wise, but not really grass either.

I've had good luck with my Cub Cadet 46" LT1.

I have no illusions that it's not built as well as a 1970 version, but it cuts grass really good. It's no zero turn, but it turns sharply as well. I believe MTD/Cub improved this in recent years.

Tractor Supply runs specials on them a couple times per year.

MTD makes many brands and all not the best. Husqvarna makes very good products so does Ariens. Cub Cadet is made by MTD. As is Troy Built. John Deere makes good mowers.

More and more companies are pushing zero turn and cutting back on lawn tractor models.

Toro is probably above all of those, and priced that way also.

Originally Posted by drtyler

I have no illusions that it's not built as well as a 1970 version, but it cuts grass really good. It's no zero turn, but it turns sharply as well. I believe MTD/Cub improved this in recent years.

What dont you like about it? Does it have zerks?

I grew up with a cub cadet and it was a tank, crude on some levels buy long lasting.

Where do the new ones fall down?

Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted by walterjay
Cub Cadet, Husqvarna or if you want to take it up a notch, John Deere

What is better about each?

Why John Deere at all?

Thanks

Dave

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Where do the new ones fall down?

Thanks

My Mom will not purchase another one. Pretty amazing that the Cadet dealer in NC knew what was wrong but
couldn't fix it. Only option was too trade it in. HA! Cubs used to know for great quality. Sorta like S&W.

Find you a 20 year old mower and you will be most happy. If you have any hills, be careful with a ZeroTurn. I've had
to use my 4Runner to pull mine up the bank behind my house 2 times. The only reason I got it was my neighbor made
me an offer I could not refuse so I bought it. Zero is fun on flat land. Fast on flat land. Mine doesn't cut nearly as good
as my 1994 Honda 2134.

Why John Deere?

--Have owned a 325 since 1997 and parts are still readily available. 1200 hours total so far. Zero engine or transaxle issues. It does manure spreading and mowing about two acres weekly.
--currently own an X300 also (about 150 hours so far) and it is more than adequate for one acre. We mow two acres weekly with this one.
--Both have Kawasaki engines that have survived with fewest repairs and breakdowns.

In the meantime I have also owned two Craftsman branded Husqvarnas and both went to the scrapyard due to transaxle repair costing more than they are worth.

For your one acre, I would recommend possibly a used X300 42", E130 or E140. Depends on how difficult your lot is to mow as close as you desire. a 48" deck could work also.

My X300 had 60 hours on it, the dealer serviced it at time of purchase, so I had no maintenance worries until about now ( three mowing seasons).

I wouldn't buy a zero turn unless you have a TON of obstacles or you want to spend the money for a commercial duty one like a Scag or Ferris. The homeowner machines have non-serviceable hydro systems and weaker pumps, a hill will kill them in short order, and they are big $ to replace.

For entry level, your money will go much further on a gently used Husqvarna, Craftsman, Simplicity or John Deere garden tractor over anything new from a box store. If you have rougher areas that need mowing you definitely want something a bit beefier, the front end and mower deck will take a beating from the rougher ground.

Originally Posted by drtyler

I bought my Cub Cadet 46" LT1 last year for around $1600.. was $100 cheaper if i bought it with the card.

Oil change takes about 15 mins, am currently using a 3593 filter, may go to 7317 at some point. Plenty of power, comfortable, mows fast.. Does all that i ask of it.. should last.

I mow around 5 acres with it.

I bought a Cub Cadet Commercial Enforcer 54 in 2007. No complaints. In your case I'd shop around for a good used commercial ZTR- Hustler, Scag, etc.

Get one with a Honda engine
smile.gif

Back