2015 Pilot LX

I ended up replacing my rottedt 2007 MDX 200k(would not pass NH inspection) with a 2015 Honda Pilot LX with 70k.It was dealer maintained according to Carfax and no accidents apparent in close inspection by me.

I did a dealer who ended up letting me trade 2007 MDX and I bought the 2015 Pilot LX for $13.5k cash so am happy.

Pros:
* kids love the room and space of 8 passenger. No fights across the three rows. I don't feel cramped in it
* New brakes, tires/alignment
* own it outright
* simple to repair at any cheap shop
* AWD for skiing and recently took up steep fire road for hike

Cons:
VCM engine (need to get muzzler likely)
Basic and lacks thing like auto headlights and outside temperature
The handling is ho hum

It will be a 5 year vehicle for me then hand off to daughter(s) for something more fun. I actually like the comfort and practically.

IMG_1421.jpg

Get rustproofing this time so the new car doesn't rust
smile.gif

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Steel wheels huh? Wowser. Surprised it has AWD then.

In the northern states, Honda dealers only sell crossovers and SUV's with AWD. They don't even carry the FWD versions
mad.gif

You have to go down to Maryland before you can even find a FWD crossover for sale.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

In the northern states, Honda dealers only sell crossovers and SUV's with AWD. They don't even carry the FWD versions
mad.gif

You have to go down to Maryland before you can even find a FWD crossover for sale.

Even in Maryland it's tough. I bought my Santa Fe in 13 and had to order and wait for a FWD. I was an employee of the dealer and they tried hard as they could to get me to take an AWD but there's no need for it here. When I traded it in I got the same BS...they tried to get me with the "nobody will buy this off our lot so we're slashing a couple thousand off the trade since it isn't AWD."

Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12
smile.gif

mad.gif

Even in Maryland it's tough. I bought my Santa Fe in 13 and had to order and wait for a FWD. I was an employee of the dealer and they tried hard as they could to get me to take an AWD but there's no need for it here. When I traded it in I got the same BS...they tried to get me with the "nobody will buy this off our lot so we're slashing a couple thousand off the trade since it isn't AWD."

Hyundai did the same thing do my pops when he ordered a new Accent, base model with the 6-speed manual. At the time, there was only one manual in the entire 5 state area surrounding MN, but it was red. He wanted blue, so he special ordered a brand new model in blue. The selling dealer told him 10-12 weeks, only to be told at the end of 12 weeks that "Well, because it's so unique Hyundai won't build it" (code for: well, we're not sure you'll actually show up to buy it, so we aren't willing to order it). He ended up buying a different red one, also a manual, because he had no choice. There was no communication between my dad and the dealer while waiting for his car to be delivered, he literally had to call them weekly for "updates" that were a lie. He actually complained to CR, who contacted Hyundai USA on his behalf, who then contacted my dad and asked what they could do to make it right. Ended up getting free 3M paint film (including mirrors, door handle pockets, trunk sill, rocker panels, the whole nine. Not just a cheap 3 piece front end kit), free Homelink accessory mirror (with temp and compass), free premium floor mats, and 6 free oil changes.

Nice. Got to trade out the old one without having to deal with tire kickers.

I prefer steel wheels, although I'm warming up to auto headlights. But outdoor thermometer is something I still miss in my car. One of these days I'm going to jerry rig something for that. I forget, where you going to run snows on dedicated rims? Now might be the time to shop for used steelies on CL.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by supton
Nice. Got to trade out the old one without having to deal with tire kickers.

I prefer steel wheels, although I'm warming up to auto headlights. But outdoor thermometer is something I still miss in my car. One of these days I'm going to jerry rig something for that. I forget, where you going to run snows on dedicated rims? Now might be the time to shop for used steelies on CL.

Good luck!

I was missing the Temp until I realized my Apple Watch has Outside Temperature so I can deal
smile.gif
The ding dong of headlights on when key removed is foreign to me as I owned MDX and then Subaru before which always shut headlights off with ignition since the 1980's at least.

smile.gif

mad.gif

The Honda dealer in Marlton, NJ currently has 2 brand new Honda Pilots and CRVs, FWD, on the lot. As well as 1 new FWD Passport. They are available in the northern states, you just have to catch them while they are on the lots.

Last edited:
My in-laws have exact same color in las Vegas, but higher trim (not sure which one). They did not deal with VCM, yet at least. But brakes are constant issue. Also, it is good that it is AWD, as FWD has ridiculous amount of torque steer.
Practicality wise, only VW Atlas is comparable to that Pilot. It is really practical vehicle. I was contemplating to get it, but what I found annoying is that drivers seat cannot b pushed back enough for tall people. My knee was in this weird position pushing against that oversized central console and after hour or two would start to hurt.

Back