CASTROL Edge 5w20 or EP 5w20

Good Morning folks. Asking for a friend that has a 14' Corolla. Drives 50/50 city to highway driving. Told him I'd use regular edge 5w20 with a FRAM ultra. Run the oil 5k and use the ultra least 2 oci's. What do you folks think?

Thank You

01.gif

I'm running Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5w20 in my 2016 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. Before this, it was running on PP 5w20 from the dealership. Engine runs fine, it sounds good, can't really tell the difference, except that the Castrol is cleaner and will probably stay cleaner than the Pennzoil. I made sure the motor was drained well, so I used the truck and made sure the motor was nice and warm, put it on the ramps so that it was perfectly horizontal (my driveway is sloped downwards) and let it sit for two days before I did the oil change. I'm using a Purolator Boss PBL12222 filter. After reading all the positive stuff here on the forum about Fram Ultra, I wanted to give that a try, but when I saw all the Fram filters at wally world with moisture and some with rust in them, I said [censored] no.

Also, the M1 0w-20 EP would be a great choice for your friends Corolla. It's probably the most stout xW-20 oil there is. It has 60% to 70% PAO as its base oil and a very high flash point. It's also Dexos approved if that means anything to you. I think it was specifically formulated to deal with fuel dilution and GDI and T-GDI engines. It will do just fine in your friends Corolla as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by rob1715
Use the kind of oil the book says. No FRAM filters. Wix or OEM are good.

Ah yes the anti-Fram troll surfaces again.

Originally Posted by rob1715
Use the kind of oil the book says. No FRAM filters. Wix or OEM are good.

Sorry pal, but I have tons of experience with FRAM Tough Guard and ULTRA's.

I'll stick with FRAM as friend is gonna use a ultra and he got the edge 5w20 EP

Originally Posted by YogiTheCat
I'm running Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5w20 in my 2016 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. Before this, it was running on PP 5w20 from the dealership. Engine runs fine, it sounds good, can't really tell the difference, except that the Castrol is cleaner and will probably stay cleaner than the Pennzoil. I made sure the motor was drained well, so I used the truck and made sure the motor was nice and warm, put it on the ramps so that it was perfectly horizontal (my driveway is sloped downwards) and let it sit for two days before I did the oil change. I'm using a Purolator Boss PBL12222 filter. After reading all the positive stuff here on the forum about Fram Ultra, I wanted to give that a try, but when I saw all the Fram filters at wally world with moisture and some with rust in them, I said [censored] no.

Also, the M1 0w-20 EP would be a great choice for your friends Corolla. It's probably the most stout xW-20 oil there is. It has 60% to 70% PAO as its base oil and a very high flash point. It's also Dexos approved if that means anything to you. I think it was specifically formulated to deal with fuel dilution and GDI and T-GDI engines. It will do just fine in your friends Corolla as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Staying cleaner in my soot machine Hyundai 2.4 GDI is why I bolted from Castrol Edge and went back to Valvoline Advanced and Pennzoil PUP / Platinum.
After 4k, my Hyundai oil color was still Edge amber brown and that drew a huge flag with me.

It appears the factory fill, Valvoline Advanced and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum all did it's job cleaning my engine and Castrol Edge did not show the same results. I also spent an entire decade using Castrol in the 90s and all three of our engines were loaded with varnish.

What works for some, did not work for me. No more Castrol for this BITOG member.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Good Morning folks. Asking for a friend that has a 14' Corolla. Drives 50/50 city to highway driving. Told him I'd use regular edge 5w20 with a FRAM ultra. Run the oil 5k and use the ultra least 2 oci's. What do you folks think?

Thank You

Totally agree with your recommendation man....

Sounds like a very good plan.

Hope that you are doing good. Hope your mom has been doing well too.

Always good to see you on here wild man.

777: maybe your engine isn't that dirty or....

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Thank You

Totally agree with your recommendation man....

Sounds like a very good plan.

Hope that you are doing good. Hope your mom has been doing well too.

Always good to see you on here wild man.

Thanks Captain. Mom and stepdad are at Outer Banks NC. I had planned the trip but then stuff happened. Mom is doing well also. Keep CoCo in line and hope you are doing best you can Bradley
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Just my 2 cents.

Staying cleaner in my soot machine Hyundai 2.4 GDI is why I bolted from Castrol Edge and went back to Valvoline Advanced and Pennzoil PUP / Platinum.
After 4k, my Hyundai oil color was still Edge amber brown and that drew a huge flag with me.

It appears the factory fill, Valvoline Advanced and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum all did it's job cleaning my engine and Castrol Edge did not show the same results. I also spent an entire decade using Castrol in the 90s and all three of our engines were loaded with varnish.

What works for some, did not work for me. No more Castrol for this BITOG member.

+1 ... Not a Castrol EDGE 5W30 fan in my Hyundai 2.4L GDI either . I thought it was odd that after 1,500 miles with a Fram Ultra - the oil was nearly black ? This is on an engine previously using PP , PUP or Valvoline Advance 5W30 for 4K OCI's and Fram Ultra oil filters . My 2.4L GDI engine ride will get Valvoline Advance 5W30 now and when my stash is used up (non - GDI engines) then I am switching everything over to Valvoline Advance 5W30 (just to buy one oil type) .

There were complaints a couple of years back about the Ultra 10358 cartridge for that car (and mine). The last ones I looked at in Walmart looked better. I may try one if you don't report any problems. I did use a TG10358, and it came out looking almost new after ~26k miles.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Just my 2 cents.

+1 ... Not a Castrol EDGE 5W30 fan in my Hyundai 2.4L GDI either . I thought it was odd that after 1,500 miles with a Fram Ultra - the oil was nearly black ? This is on an engine previously using PP , PUP or Valvoline Advance 5W30 for 4K OCI's and Fram Ultra oil filters . My 2.4L GDI engine ride will get Valvoline Advance 5W30 now and when my stash is used up (non - GDI engines) then I am switching everything over to Valvoline Advance 5W30 (just to buy one oil type) .

I'm using Castrol EDGE 0w-40 in my 2.4L GDI engine in our 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. The engine seems to like it a lot, and it does keep the engine clean and running smooth. I am not so sure, however, about the other Castrol EDGE oils. After looking at the MSDS for the regular versus Extended Performance EDGE, they seem to be the same oil. Maybe Castrol (or BP) is just cashing in on the marketing hype, pocketing another $2 in profit per 5 quart jug. I might just go back to Mobil 1 or PUP in the future. For the RAM 1500 I was thinking about Rottela Gas Truck 5w-20, but after reading here on BITOG that it might just be QSUD, I'm not so sure. I got nothing against QSUD, but I have a problem with engine oil manufacturers selling the same oil under multiple sub-brands. I'm really curious about Castrol EDGE vs EDGE EP. Maybe I'll send in some virgin samples to see if the additive packages are the same.

I have an orange can of ecstasy on my Accord as I type❤. At tres bonez it will probably be my go-to filter. They have a silicone adbv and I think they're rated at 10K now? Good filters!

I have an orange can of ecstasy on my Accord as I type❤. At tres bonez it will probably be my go-to filter. They have a silicone adbv and I think they're rated at 10K now? Good filters!

I use their canister type filters "Made in Korea" sometimes because they are top-notch quality. That being said, the problem I've found with Fram filters is that when you look at them at Walmart, some of them have rust and moisture in them, and that doesn't sit well with me. Why can't Fram just wrap each filter box in a shrink wrap? That would put them over the top for sure and prevent so many quality control issues. Just my 2 cents.

I use their canister type filters "Made in Korea" sometimes because they are top-notch quality. That being said, the problem I've found with Fram filters is that when you look at them at Walmart, some of them have rust and moisture in them, and that doesn't sit well with me. Why can't Fram just wrap each filter box in a shrink wrap? That would put them over the top for sure and prevent so many quality control issues. Just my 2 cents.
Yep,that would be awesome for all oil filters to be shrink-wrapped. The only ones I've ever seen shrink-wrapped besides the Ultras are oem's.

I remember looking at FRAM and Purolator at the Autoparts when I got a '15 2.7 Ecoboost. It was the exact same German made filter for a canister as the Motorcraft. Since the MC was less than half the price at the Motorcraft Distributor I picked some up there.

Just my 2 cents.

With PCMO , what l am most concerned is what comes out after oil is changed . With CASTROL after 7500 miles EDGE showed very little shear in a ford ESCAPE ecoboost .Moral of the story is not what goes in , its what comes out ( BOBBY DARVO )

Back