charge 12v truck battery with more or less amps?

hey guys so i hooked up my noco genius g3500 and it shows my truck battery is only at 50% which is understanble since i mostly drive stop and go.
i believe this noco genius g3500 does automatic step charging and the max is 3.5a
i also have a motor master eliminator battery charger from canadina tire which can do 6a on a normal smart charge mode but also "12A charge mode for large capacity or deeply discharged batteries features an innovative 30A intermittent boost for up to 50% faster charging (compared to a standard 15A charge rate)"

so out of the 3 different charge rates, which is the best for the battery? i assume the slow charger or or is better to use the 12a charge mode on the motomaster which is for large capacity or deeply dischagred battery cuz maybe the higher amps will break down any sulfation that may be present?

thx

I am not sure the difference between charging but there is a setting for AGM batteries too. Charges to 14.5 Volt for regular, 14.8 for AGM.

I am unsure if it will damage a regular battery if it is set on an AGM setting or if it would make any difference.

The NOCO chargers seem to work good in repairing batteries too. I had one that I thought was weak, & hooked up charger, until it showed fully charged. Seemed I was able to get another year out of it in the boat. Wouldn't hold a charge this spring though.

Put it on 6 amps until the built-in ammeter dips below 3 then switch to the Noco.

This 30 amp surge thing sounds like a gimmick you don't need yet.

Yeah, the 3.5A will be fine. The standard recommendation is to use less than 10 amps so the 12 isn't bad but it's a little bit on the high side. I use an 8 amp charger. You can use the 6 amp mode too, that should also be fine.

Any of those chargers are completely safe to use assuming they work correctly. Most battery manufacturers recommend a maximum charge rate of C20 for flooded lead acid starting batteries, which is just a fancy way of saying no more than 20% in amps of the amp hour rating of the battery. So, a typical 50 AH battery can be charged at 15 amps without issue.

Originally Posted by ripcord
Any of those chargers are completely safe to use assuming they work correctly. Most battery manufacturers recommend a maximum charge rate of C20 for flooded lead acid starting batteries, which is just a fancy way of saying no more than 20% in amps of the amp hour rating of the battery. So, a typical 50 AH battery can be charged at 15 amps without issue.

C20 is supposed to be the 20 hour rate...

So really 1/20th the Ah value...

Originally Posted by cdlamb
I am not sure the difference between charging but there is a setting for AGM batteries too. Charges to 14.5 Volt for regular, 14.8 for AGM.

I am unsure if it will damage a regular battery if it is set on an AGM setting or if it would make any difference.

The NOCO chargers seem to work good in repairing batteries too. I had one that I thought was weak, & hooked up charger, until it showed fully charged. Seemed I was able to get another year out of it in the boat. Wouldn't hold a charge this spring though.

Do not use the AGM mode if your have flooded lead acid battery. AGM batteries charging voltage is slightly higher which I personally would not want across the terminals.

As others have commented, I also think lower current is better; the slower reverse chemical reation produces less heat and gasing but off course takes longer.

I think all smart chargers these days include desulfation program

Back