post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2013 Sequoia @ 75k miles
Out - 5.5 quarts of mostly of what I assume is the factory Toyota WS
In - 6 quarts of MaxLife (then .5 quart drained following level check procedure)

1998 Camry LE, 199K unknown OCI
Out: almost 3 qts Dextron something
In; Almost 3 qts Maxlife

I will service the transmission one more time...

Extracted just shy of 3 quarts out my Mustang GT again today and replaced it with SuperTech Mercon V. I'll probably do it again in July and August and call it good.

2012 Honda Odyssey (5 spd trans)
109,200 miles
3X drain & fill, 3.3 qts each

Out: Pennzoil Platinum LV
In: Amalie Synthetic

[Linked Image]

2013 Mazda 6
This has the transmission without a conventional dipstick/tube. The stick is bolted to the tran chassis down below the battery. I have long arms and can reach it.
I extracted 1 quart and replaced with 1 quart Amsoil just to prove I could do it and to practice measuring the level.
The new quart sat next to the car at approximately the same elevation as the trans and the bottle did not touch the floor. So the temps of both were basically the same [I assume].
I marked on an old atf bottle at the level of the fresh bottle, then extracted to that line.
I used a funnel that was too short so I had to aim above it. I will get a long funnel for the next time.

1999 Porsche 996 Used Redline 75w-90 NS per their recommendation and am not that happy. I am a Redline fan, have been for a long time, and their gear oils have made noticeable differences on several cars but their oil made the 996's shifting notchy when warm and downright balky when cold. I'm not sure if I like the notchiness at operating temp and the 'cold' (its a nice weather only car) feel is not great but probably reminds me to be easy on things until up to temp. Having essentially the same transmission in two cars makes for easy comparison.

Not sure if I will switch it out this year, but the Boxster is due and is getting OE Porsche fluid.

On a related note, my 1985 Land Rover has a noisy rear differential. Bearing play is good, smooth and the contact is set up OK, but it is just whiny and a little rumbly. I was running another synthetic 75w-90 but tried Redline heavy shockproof and the difference is like night and day. I was very surprised at the noise reduction. Redline tech said its fine for 5 years or so which is my typical interval (unless I get in serious water, which I do very rarely), so we'll see what it does long term.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
1999 Porsche 996 Used Redline 75w-90 NS per their recommendation and am not that happy. I am a Redline fan, have been for a long time, and their gear oils have made noticeable differences on several cars but their oil made the 996's shifting notchy when warm and downright balky when cold. I'm not sure if I like the notchiness at operating temp and the 'cold' (its a nice weather only car) feel is not great but probably reminds me to be easy on things until up to temp. Having essentially the same transmission in two cars makes for easy comparison.

Not sure if I will switch it out this year, but the Boxster is due and is getting OE Porsche fluid.

On a related note, my 1985 Land Rover has a noisy rear differential. Bearing play is good, smooth and the contact is set up OK, but it is just whiny and a little rumbly. I was running another synthetic 75w-90 but tried Redline heavy shockproof and the difference is like night and day. I was very surprised at the noise reduction. Redline tech said its fine for 5 years or so which is my typical interval (unless I get in serious water, which I do very rarely), so we'll see what it does long term.

I used Redline MT-90 in my 95 pathfinder cause that was what was recommended by redline and a few pathfinder guys. In the winter it was like shifting through thick mud. I had another 5 quarts available after I got rid of the pathfinder and used it in my 2004 A4 6sp. Same issue. I ended up going back to OEM fluid and the difference was night and day. Never did try any other trans fluid in either car. Both are now gone and I have no interest in trying again. I do want to try their engine oil at some point just for gits and shiggles but I have enough oil for all 4 cars for probably the next year or 2.

Originally Posted by Wheel366
Originally Posted by wings&wheels

I used Redline MT-90 in my 95 pathfinder cause that was what was recommended by redline and a few pathfinder guys. In the winter it was like shifting through thick mud. I had another 5 quarts available after I got rid of the pathfinder and used it in my 2004 A4 6sp. Same issue. I ended up going back to OEM fluid and the difference was night and day. Never did try any other trans fluid in either car. Both are now gone and I have no interest in trying again. I do want to try their engine oil at some point just for gits and shiggles but I have enough oil for all 4 cars for probably the next year or 2.

I have their MT-80 or -90 in most of the transmissions in my signature, most recently the Lotus (basically a Toyota drivetrain) and am happy. Made a big difference in the LR Series transmission compared to dino GL-4, but none of these cars really see below freezing weather.

2018 Ford F350 filter and oil change as well as a pan to one with a drain plug . Motorcraft filter and lv oil.

1999 Camry, did a flush at 140k, 180k and now at 225k, Maxlife each time.

2010 Tundra, did a partial flush at 80k and now a full flush at 159k, Maxlife each time.

2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD with 217K miles. Not sure if it had the original or not, but it certainly had no fluid exchange in the past 110K miles.

Out -- 3+ qts of unknown. Dirty looking.

In -- 4 qts of Maxlife multi vehicle.

Results -- Shifts as smoothly and quietly as can be, unlike before. Will do a second and third drain and refill in the coming weeks. Why did I wait so long?

just out of curiosity, how many have ran Maxlife in strictly Mercon V applications and had no issues. I have been buying only Mercon V but it is pain to find locally most times.

2013 Toyota Corolla S
U341E transmission (auto)
196k miles
Out: Original fluid (3 Qt) and filter
In: Valvoline Maxlife (3 Qt) and CarQuest filter

2017 Ford Explorer 3.5l NA with tow package. 38,000 miles did my first drain and fill with 5 quarts ST Full Syn Mercon LV. 5 out and 5 in. That is just under half the total capacity.
19.gif

Originally Posted by dwcopple
just out of curiosity, how many have ran Maxlife in strictly Mercon V applications and had no issues. I have been buying only Mercon V but it is pain to find locally most times.

Ive ran maxlife in my 2004 4.6 E150 and lubeguard , Ive also ran Mobil 1 ATF in my 1996 Mustang GT when i had it without any problems.

1995 Corvette LT1
ODO 79,300 miles
6-speed ZF manual transmission
Service Interval approx 18,000 miles/4 years
Out: Amsoil Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5w30
In: Amsoil Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5w30

2015 Lincoln MKC with 56,000 miles. This has the 2.3l ecoboost. I've had this since 34,000 when I bought it used from a Lincoln dealer. Drained 4 and 1/2 quarts of fluid and replaced with 4 and 1/2 quarts of fresh ST Mercon LV. I think total capacity is 9 and some change. The tranny fluid was black, which surprised me given the mileage. This tranny has the drain plug and a fill plug (on top), but no dipstick.

I guess I'll be doing the drain and refill a few more times to try and get most of the older fluid out... so glad this has the drain plug and fill port.

Last edited:
2006 4Runner Sport with 121k miles. Dealer previously changed fluid at ~90K, 12 quarts of WS. I dropped the pan, cleaned the magnets and washed out the OEM filter. I did a coolant line transfer with 4 gal of Maxlife, and added a B&M cooler to help with the Austin TX hills and summer heat. Shifts great and so far the fluid temps are staying below 180 degrees.
Here's a pic of the old fluid and fresh Maxlife. Hopefully the Maxlife doesn't look this bad after 30K.

[Linked Image]

Back