Certified Used Toyota; 8 miles.

Went to the Toyota dealer in Westbrook CT and the lot was packed with certified used Toyotas. Some were 2019 and others were 2020; One 2019 Camry had 8 miles on it.

Curious if the dealer is just moving old stock to CPO status to be eligible for the 100K mile warranty; seems wise for a purchaser if a car has 8 miles on it Any other theories?

Does anyone understand how the chargeback on CPO repairs are done?

-T

Was probably sold and the customer's credit didn't check out in the end or something. Was probably technically titled.

Maybe the dealer bought the car themselves to meet a sales goal, and therefore got a title.

The way my state does excise tax, this would be a good deal for me. I get on the "ladder" at 1 year old then enjoy the taxes of a year-older car all the way down until it bottoms out at year six.

If you bought the 8 mile Camry, I realize the Powertrain Warranty is 100K, what is the rest of the car covered for?

This may be all on the level but I'd think about something like repaired body damage. Friends bought a Toyota demonstrator. Some time later they had a fender bender and a lot of body putty fell out. They checked with a lawyer and were told there was nothing they could do. They had bought a "used car".

I bought a new Toyota. It was transferred in from another dealer. After a few days I realized it had a run in the paint. No one at the dealership had ever seen a new Toyota with a run in the paint before. Fortunately the run was only in the clear coat and polished out. I thought no more about it.

A few years later I was having some body work done on another car and was at the body shop in my Toyota. The body man casually commented on the repainted panel of my "never been in an accident" Toyota. He pointed out a few dust spots in the paint that you "never see in a Toyota". So my brand new Toyota had had a repainted panel.

The body man said he's often asked to repair paint or body damage on new vehicles.

So if you're thinking of buying a "used car with 8 miles" I'd suggest you take it to a really good body shop to check for original paint. Or have the dealer certify in writing on the bill of sale "this vehicle has had no repaired body damage".

To echo what ecotourist wrote, I remember reading an article by five or so years ago mentioning CPO cars having repairs and body work done and never mentioned on the Carfax/bill of sale. I myself would definitely go over any car with a fine tooth comb, let alone a near new car especially given the prices.

I work at a car dealership. We sold a traded in used car, which then went to a partner dealership for a wiring complaint that surfaced a few months after the car was sold. Had been repaired (poorly) previous to us taking it in on trade and selling it used. The poor wiring repair would never had been caught on a standard safety inspection.
We footed the repair bill.

When I worked at dealership I have seen transport damage a few then repaired without a ticket so no record then sold as new. They billed transport company but no vin was used. Painter got paid by the hour and never complained. He was great at it and if you could tell he would redo it oh he hated Bondo.

Maybe it was a demo that was driven?

We bought our 14 odyssey in 15 because we got a great deal due to it sitting in a display. It had no mileage and was sold new because it was the equivalent of sitting on the lot, just inside....

But I'd suspect had it gotten some use it might have had to be dealt with differently.

A few years ago I decided to buy an Australian built Pontiac GTO. I had full GM vehicle service history available and I was amazed at how many vehicles that I checked that had paint/body work done before the cars were ever sold. Apparently with the loading/ocean voyage/unloading/delivery there were problems!

They're provide you with a CarFax which will show the original owner & 2nd owner(if it was sold). Or, the dealer put the car into service even for themselves, e.g., as a loaner vehicle for customers to use while their own vehicles were being serviced.

This is how I bought the 2015 Altima($7000 off sticker) in my signature, where the dealer sold it as a CPO w/few miles and a CPO 7/100 warranty & .9% interest rate. Not being a new car(even though I bought it in 2015), the dealer wouldn't/couldn't give me 0% financing.

2 yrs later, my SIL bought a new 2017 Altima in 2017(same situation w/300 miles). Her Nissan Dealer knocked off $8200 of her car but, w/o the CPO warranty nor the 0%.

If the Toyota dealer knocks off enough money & the car has a CPO warranty, JUMP ALL OVER THIS CAR!

Some auto companies are requiring that dealers purchase the car and title it to be eligible for a certain level of incentives by a certain date or dependent on how long it's be inventory. When you do that the warrranty starts to run so dealers CPO the vehicle.

Only (small) danger would be, it's not going to be eligible for a lemon law buyback, because it's technically used. A fine toothed comb body inspection on a lift would definitely be a necessity.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Purchased rental cars turned back in due to the economy?
This happens more often then one might think. Rental car companies purchase vehicle in large blocks directly from the manufacturers, and as such, an MSO is never issued by the manufacturer and they are titled directly to the rental car companies. The manufacturers do this so that none of the vehicles get "misdirected" and sold as new cars. If the rental car company does not take delivery of any of the vehicles, they are sold to dealers at the manufacturer's auctions, but since they are titled, the vehicles can't be sold as new.

Might have been damaged in shipping or on the lot and repaired. Often this can happen and they still sell it as new without telling anyone.

If the car was titled then the started of 100k is when it was actually titled (see Carfax). So the 100k maybe 6 years instead of 7 yrs for example.

Back