3M tape removal

I need to remove an aftermarket light from a hard bag on my Harley. It was installed with the red double-sided 3M tape that the factories use. Any suggestions on how to safely remove it without harming the finish would be appreciated. Need to replace the burned out led signal fixture.

I used an eraser wheel with cordless drill to remove glue left behind from 3M film. Used the slowest drill speed I could so that I wouldn't burn the paint. Don't know if this would work on double sided tape though.

It is a job and a half. I used a razor blade to carefully split the foam so I could remove the window shades on my truck. Then just used my fingers to roll off as much of the residue as I could and then a heat gun and Goo Gone on a cloth. But mine was on clear coat paint and not a plastic bag. You might try WD40 on an inconspicuous spot to be sure it wont dull the finish of the bag and then try light heat and WD40 to remove the adhesive.

3M adhesive remover. It comes in a spray can. Most autoparts stores have it. Spray it on, let it soak a moment, and a plastic putty knife will slice it right off.

Probably fishing line to cut through it.
Best chemical for adhesive removal is heptane.
Heptane is available in Bestine, a rubber cement remover available at art supply stores.
Also sold as Bienfang UnStick.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Just be careful of adhesive removers, some can cause damage to plastic and paint as well as adhesive.

Yes test in a non conspicuous area first. I am thinking xylene, but again, it depends on your paint. I don't know what they paint bikes with. IF its lacquer, xylene and other chemicals will probably damage it.

Some great ideas! Thanks all. It's fiberglass with clear coat paint like an auto.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
Waxed dental floss. Use a sawing motion.

This, or monofilament fishing line.

Back