Ford PVD Wheels Defects

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Chrome wheels are a no-go once they started going to the "chrome clad" process. I've lost count of how many people come in thinking they just need a wheel cover and it turns out they need a $900+ wheel.

So you've seen a lot of this issue ?

Yup, tons and it isn't just Ford, its every manufacturer that uses the PVD process. Real chrome is fantastic, but this is not even close to real chrome.

Real quality Chrome is expensive.

This is a big problem here in the rust belt
Luckily, the 2004 bling bling aesthetic of chrome has kind of lost ground, you don't see as many as you used to
Go back to around 2000, Daimler Chrysler loved chrome plated wheels on top trim Grand Cherokees, Sebrings, 300M, big honking Durangos and 2500 Ram trucks
GM did too with Bonneville, Park Avenue, big Escalades on then big 20" rims
Ford and GM did it too, but Chrysler sticks out in my memory
I remember when I was little, all the older kids liked to put the metal valve stem caps on like we did on our bikes
Centennial edition Taurus, 2.7 Intrepid ES, Overland Grand Cherokees, hot stuff for the time
Fast forward one winter, you needed a torch and pliers to get them off the aluminum valve stems, usually ruining it, and the early expensive TPMS sensors
We like our salt and our potholes here in NYC, many an individual howled when they went in for the first set of tires at ~5 years old and found out the rims just wouldn't take them
So bent up and corroded, by the roads and improper car wash chemicals
A hammer and a bucket of bead sealer will only get you so far
That's why I run don't walk from chrome, polished, or diamond cut alloys
Just give me regular old paint, powder coat, or real chrome that can be rebuffed and repolished

Originally Posted by Fattylocks
Originally Posted by CatCam2
Here is an inside shot of my Ford F-150 PVD rims -- enough said!
mad.gif

[Linked Image from cimg8.ibsrv.net]

Not 100% pleased with some made in Mexico Ford wheels I recently acquired. They had what I consider a ton of weights, all near the valve stem. Replaced tires with new and same deal. Tons of weights near the valve stem. Ride and look good but, just seems odd to me.

Please explain to me how COO matters in this context?

I've had good and bad come from every country on this earth

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Is Ford doing anything about it as far as replacing wheels or anything to help the customers ?

Not that I have seen. Most of the issues we have seen are from curb strikes, you can see the scuffs on the tires (not yours). Wheels are a "prior approval" item with Ford and for anything to be covered the dealer has to send in pictures for Ford to grant approval. They have guides for us to follow trying to say that the cleaners used were the cause, either too acidic other random reasons.

Last edited:
My wife's 2015 Kia Sedona SXL has the PVD 19" wheels, and all four are peeling....and they look like [censored]. We are getting close to needing a set of tires, and I am debating tracking down a set of the painted alloy 18s to swap onto it....which will net cheaper tires to boot.

And no, Kia isn't doing anything about it, either.

I have heard of some people having problems with the Ford PVD's, but I have to say they are the best Ford OEM rim I have had so far. The painted alloys on my 2010 were replaced twice due to "water intrusion"(squiggly lines) under the clear-coat. and I had some aftermarket Chrome American Racing rims on my 2001 that pitted terribly after about 2 years.

My PVD's on my 2017 still look brand new except for the center caps. The caps were replaced under warranty due to "water intrusion" in the ford logo.

Back