Bulk Oil Setup

Working in a county bus garage and got to see the bulk fluid and waste oil systems being installed.

IMG_7055.jpeg

IMG_7057.jpeg

IMG_7058.jpeg

IMG_7059.jpeg

IMG_7063.jpeg

Last edited:
I set up lube rooms and programs all over the place.

That's a World Class set up you all should be proud of. That's top of the line.

Looks color coded too.

That lube cube is a wonderful thing.

I cant see if you have them but I recommend the screw in level indicator and ISO fittings top/bottom tank for base stock tank filtration

Could there be a problem with system like this or is there something built in to prevent that. Oil additives have tendency to settle over time, specially in cooler temperatures.
That's a reason I shake my bottle well right before I pour oil in engine.

Originally Posted by js1956
Could there be a problem with system like this or is there something built in to prevent that. Oil additives have tendency to settle over time, specially in cooler temperatures.
That's a reason I shake my bottle well right before I pour oil in engine.

Yes there can be and many accessories/techniques exist to manage that depending on what exact system a client wants ( and is willing to pay for and actually do as part of a lubrication management program for their base stocks)

You have agitation from drum mixers, the filter carts and vortex tubes for recirculating and temperature controlled systems.

The problem is getting people to realize that in most cases bulk is filthy and nowhere nears any ISO cleanliness standard in the drum/tote you get it in and needs to be sampled and then maintained from the time it hits the shipping dock.

Wow, that's impressive! Super clean.

I had my suppliers tanks in the corner with small compressed air pumps and meter for oil changes.

I used Dennison Lubricants in Mass. My bulk oil was Pennwood 5W20 / 5W30.

That is extremely well done, from a former Mobil Lubrication Engineer! Thanks for sharing an example of how to do things right!

Does anybody know why lubricant additives "have a tendency to settle over time"? I never looked into this. I thought they were supposedly in liquid solution, not liquid suspension?

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
That is extremely well done, from a former Mobil Lubrication Engineer! Thanks for sharing an example of how to do things right!

Does anybody know why lubricant additives "have a tendency to settle over time"? I never looked into this. I thought they were supposedly in liquid solution, not liquid suspension?

Depends on the individual mixture and chemistry ( and sometimes the actual mixing process) as well as where the volume came from in the distributor tank.

Some recipes simply were not cooked long enough in the first place

Some additives simply separate from fluid pressure ( density) and time ( heavier molecular additives and some anti wear metals)- this is the cloudiness and sometimes visible layers.

Some precipitate naturally

Some polar bond with various contaminates or get heavier by oxidation from air ( or other processes) in the container.

Some can be "altered' and even filtered out by the micron rating of a filter further altering the product.

Looks like a nice setup. Why do the two left tanks have double contents labels ... are there two separate chambers in those tanks?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Looks like a nice setup. Why do the two left tanks have double contents labels ... are there two separate chambers in those tanks?

Yeah, I noticed that and was like "who in gods name put those labels on?"
lol.gif

Maybe Helen Keller

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Yes there are chambers in those two ( I recognize the configuration)

There are 2 Graco air motor pumps in the one to the right and the one to the left has 1 Graco and a double diaphragm pump ( wall mounted to the left of the tank) in it for the anti-freeze. ( the air motors wouldn't pump anything that thin)

Originally Posted by Jason_Michaels
[Linked Image]

I asked for the "empty " drums and got a nice supply of fluids, plus future burn barrels.

If that was a bus yard, I'm guessing that's Allison-approved fluid that's hard to find OTC.

I've toured a bus yard in the process of getting mothballed(it was reactivated and renovated for service recently), while I didn't see the lube rack setup they are cool in an odd way. This one was laid out so a driver finishing their shift drops off their bus at the fuel island. That's where the fuel/farebox and nightly cleaning happens. The shop was in front of it, there was a separate garage for tires.

Back