Next Pistol Opinions

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by JHZR2
.44 mag is a hoot to shoot like ten times. .44spl is great, but $ for what it is. OP already has .45acp, .38 and .22.

I've been YouTubing. Is the 629 the Mac Daddy of .44 mags?

I don't care about buying another caliber of ammo.

I just got my first Revolver, S&W 686 plus non-fluted, and had to send it back for flaws. My new one is awaiting my pu today. I thought
S&W was a top quality mfr but I now know they aren't what they used to be.

I'd argue it's the 29, blue... and again, an older one, pinned and recessed for the maximum "pride of ownership". The older ones with the color case hardened triggers and hammers are what I like.

But the stories go that there are a lot of model 29 revolvers with half a box of .44 magnum bullets, because folks bought them because of the Dirty Harry thing, and found that .44 mag isn't that fun to shoot.

In one scene I recall even he says he shoots .44 special, think it's when he's at the Range with the younger officers...

And I love .44 special, but it's a costly round to shoot if you're not reloading. Thing 50-60c per shot!

So then you need to ask why - the novelty is really worth it when a .38 or .357 is pretty darn useful?

It's just money, but...

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
You haven't a 9mm. They make em' for wheel-guns too.

You make a valid point but I did sell all my 9mm.

Wheel gun and 9 mm seems sorta....unnatural. LOL

I'm not seeing anything that 9mm can do that a good .357 revolver shooting .38+p can't... assuming we're talking 9mm revolvers.

A 45ACP revolver is a similar beast, will need to use moon clips, etc. But at least you own ammo for that...and a .45 bullet is something even a .44 can't do...

another option that might be real fun is a S&W 610. They've started making them again. It shoots 10mm and .40 S&W on moon clips. Lots of power and ammo options. And I think the 10mm can be as hot as a .41 magnum too... interesting option for sure!

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I love my Colt King Cobra .357 Mag I bought new in 1986 for $320. Colt makes nice revolvers, but the prices today are sky high.

That's the only snake I don't have- definitely a top line wheel gun

Sadly however, Colt has now lost about everything it ever had that made it the standard in revolvers and most other firearms everyone else had to meet and now is little more than a trademark of things that used to be.

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR
Sadly however, Colt has now lost about everything it ever had that made it the standard in revolvers and most other firearms everyone else had to meet and now is little more than a trademark of things that used to be.

Colt is building some of their better products in quite some time, though they quite foolishly let Brent go and have slid slightly ... Still CNC machines and quality parts and I would take a Colt over a powdered metal Kimber any day...

I mean if you want to lament the passing of old times, look at a Ruger 10/22 (or a mark pistol) from the 80's and one from now... Or a Smith from the 80s and one from now...

People say this garbage about Colt, but they won't pay what Python, King Cobra or Anaconda of old would have to sell for in order to be profitable... There has to be some balance, and Colt has struck a reasonable one IMO.

[Linked Image from media.shootingsportsmedia.com]

Originally Posted by DuckRyder

Colt is building some of their better products in quite some time, though they quite foolishly let Brent go and have slid slightly ... Still CNC machines and quality parts and I would take a Colt over a powdered metal Kimber any day...

I mean if you want to lament the passing of old times, look at a Ruger 10/22 (or a mark pistol) from the 80's and one from now... Or a Smith from the 80s and one from now...

People say this garbage about Colt, but they won't pay what Python, King Cobra or Anaconda of old would have to sell for in order to be profitable... There has to be some balance, and Colt has struck a reasonable one IMO.

I don't disagree in general but I have more detailed knowledge of both you mention than agreements will let me speak of, let me generally say.....

Turchi ( or Turk) isn't the only mistake they have made both in their business model as a whole as well as their entire product line. That has cost them dearly and their endless quest for the zillion dollar USG contract over the market that made them didn't help them win hearts and minds either

I'm not in any way speaking garbage of Colt but the fact of the matter is that they self destructed and it had nothing to do with profit or what they can make. I've designed firearms and their manufacturing processes (several entities) along with just about every other mechanical part class that exists so the profitable argument doesn't wash with me.

Theres not $100 of raw material in any of them and once designed ( excluding amortizing those costs, initial set up and tooling) the modern CNC process is the same "machine time" standard as it would be to cut a gear, blisk or anything else.

Colts metal finishing is however a significant difference I was glad to learn from the back in the day. They truly did "start' where others ended and it showed on the high end guns and that's a separate animal from this discussion.

Beyond that however, Colt doesn't face any other quality or profit issue any other manufacturer does.

I'm definitely pulling for them and will purchase a new Python just because but I am not confident of their current ownership and leadership to bring them back.

I do hope I'm proven wrong.

For clarity sake, I don't necessarily mean you talking garbage, I mean all the hogwash that swirls around Colt. "Colt does't sell to the public"... "You're just paying for the name" all that crud.

I do agree they don't do a lot to help themselves and leadership makes some ... umm ... odd choices....

I will probably eventually buy a new Python, and I'm not even a revolver guy.

Anyway, It is killing me, OP was at the shop the other day, what came home...?

S&W 686 plus non-fluted. I had already included in my OP as it was ordered and on the way. I'm using this Prolix as a cleaner and lube.
I'm thinking about sneaking out in the woods behind my house and letting a few fly. Part of my house in in town limits but we are all deer
slayers in my neighborhood.

Took 3 hours to do background check. Shop said they had 126 background checks submitted yesterday.

Though you're leaning towards a wheel gun, every gun lover should own an Italian made Beretta 92.

Back