5.7 HEMI Lifter/cam failure cause

Saw this on YouTube, probably the best explanation I've seen on this issue so far. Thoughts from people smarter than I?

I wonder if it's ultimately due to the changes they did when they added VCT, as I don't really remember there being issues with pre-2009 hemi's.

Your 2019 most likely has updated parts. I have a good friend who is a Hyundai certified master tech and is certified to work on Chrysler products. He owns two Rams with the 5.7 Hemi. One is a 2011 Laramie and the other is a 2018 Rebel. He hasn't had any problems. However, he runs 5W30 Mobil original instead of the recommended 5W20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by farrarfan1
That video was added to this thread earlier today. It's interesting to say the least.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...c-lifter-failure-oil-related#Post2828939

Missed that, thank you!

Originally Posted by MParr
Your 2019 most likely has updated parts. I have a good friend who is a Hyundai certified master tech and is certified to work on Chrysler products. He owns two Rams with the 5.7 Hemi. One is a 2011 Laramie and the other is a 2018 Rebel. He hasn't had any problems. However, he runs 5W30 Mobil original instead of the recommended 5W20.

I'm not worried, it just got my attention. I've been debating running 5w30 instead of 5w20 though

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I wonder if it's ultimately due to the changes they did when they added VCT, as I don't really remember there being issues with pre-2009 hemi's.

Note that the issue has presented on engines that do not have MDS.

We covered the oiling system relatively extensively in the previous thread BTW.

I think he is right. My hemi ticks at low rpm when the engine is cold, exactly when cam lubrication is at it's lowest.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Saw this on YouTube, probably the best explanation I've seen on this issue so far. Thoughts from people smarter than I?

There were these issues dating back to 2004. It's a rare enough problem I would not sweat it. I'm on my 3rd Ram with a HEMI without the problem since 2004.

Originally Posted by italian68
I think he is right. My hemi ticks at low rpm when the engine is cold, exactly when cam lubrication is at it's lowest.

That's usually exhaust manifold studs.

If he's right about it being caused by a design flaw then it doesn't seem like we, as owners of HEMI equipped vehicles, can do much about it is there? If oil isn't reaching the cam then how can using a different viscosity than what's recommended by FCA going to help?

If he's right about it being caused by a design flaw then it doesn't seem like we, as owners of HEMI equipped vehicles, can do much about it is there? If oil isn't reaching the cam then how can using a different viscosity than what's recommended by FCA going to help?

It wouldn't, as you astutely determined. Also, in the plenty of HEMI lifters that Iv'e seen pictures of, I've not, from failed examples, seen ones with the deposits and scuffs that his had. The bores are pressure lubed, not splash, it's the cam/roller interface that's primarily lubed via splash and it's certainly possible that extensive idling with low levels of oil sling could contribute to roller failure if insufficient oil is leaking past the lifter body and onto the lobe.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

It's definitely a mechanical tick. Manifold gaskets and studs replaced on both sides. The tick goes away when revved as the pressure comes up and oil is thrown around more.

Last edited:

It's definitely a mechanical tick. Manifold gaskets and studs replaced on both sides. The tick goes away when revved as the oil pressure comes up.

May just be a sticky HLA then.

It's definitely a mechanical tick. Manifold gaskets and studs replaced on both sides. The tick goes away when revved as the oil pressure comes up.

May just be a sticky HLA then.

That's possible. I have Valvoline Premium Blue Restore in the sump. Trying to clean things but hasn't been in there long. Tic is more or less the same so far.

That's possible. I have Valvoline Premium Blue Restore in the sump. Trying to clean things but hasn't been in there long. Tic is more or less the same so far.

Excellent choice! Hopefully that helps.

I asked the mechanic at the ISP district I work out of about the issue with the Chargers. He said the last one he had to send to a dealership for cam/lifter failure was a 2015, none since model year 2016. That gave me the confidence to buy the 2020 Laramie, my first ever 1500.

I asked the mechanic at the ISP district I work out of about the issue with the Chargers. He said the last one he had to send to a dealership for cam/lifter failure was a 2015, none since model year 2016. That gave me the confidence to buy the 2020 Laramie, my first ever 1500.

thumbsup2.gif

The lifters have been through multiple revisions, FWIW.

Excellent video, clearest explanation I've seen so far.
My company 2018 Hemi Ram 1500 sometimes ticks noticeably on cold starts. At work a few of the Hemi pick-ups that went to auction had the 'Hemi tick' at idle, but they have all had approx. 300k kms or higher. Haven't had any lower mileage cam failures that I'm aware of.

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
Excellent video, clearest explanation I've seen so far.
My company 2018 Hemi Ram 1500 sometimes ticks noticeably on cold starts. At work a few of the Hemi pick-ups that went to auction had the 'Hemi tick' at idle, but they have all had approx. 300k kms or higher. Haven't had any lower mileage cam failures that I'm aware of.

All our work trucks developed a cold start tick, and all of them were rectified with an exhaust stud change and re-seal of the manifolds. Seems to be the most common cause.

Reactions: JTK

It wouldn't, as you astutely determined. Also, in the plenty of HEMI lifters that Iv'e seen pictures of, I've not, from failed examples, seen ones with the deposits and scuffs that his had. The bores are pressure lubed, not splash, it's the cam/roller interface that's primarily lubed via splash and it's certainly possible that extensive idling with low levels of oil sling could contribute to roller failure if insufficient oil is leaking past the lifter body and onto the lobe.

I notice my start up idle is 150 RPM higher than on the 16 Ram than the 11Ram I owned previously. Maybe better splash lube.

Back