In what cars and trucks can you reach the oil filter without going down under.

This post complements the one on using a vacuum tool to pull oil out of the pan. You can reach the filter on a 2000-2007 Ford Taurus OHV V-6 without crawling under the car. Just face the front of the car and extend your left hand to the front of the engine above the starter. How about others out there?

Last edited:
My Saab 9-3 (2005) has the filter on top (GM engine). I have seen a Mercedes with the filter on top.

For our Pathfinder and Versa, you don't have to get under the car much further than the front bumper to remove and replace the oil filter. No jacks or ramps needed.

For my pentastar powered Ram 1500, the canister filter is up top.

Last edited:
My friend's 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee is the only one. Cannister with a 1 1/16 "nut" cast in. Odd size, if you ask me.
Gonna service it tomorrow, as a matter of fact...
The 3 Acura TSXs with the K24 I service are the WORST. Hard to reach and make a freakin' mess...

Last edited:
My Cutlass Ciera with a 2.2L can be changed from the top. Not easy to keep from spilling, but doable. Historically, I have had a few more, but will stick to a vehicle I still own.

My Camry's is pretty easy. The Jeep's isn't too fun to get to but it isn't all that bad, but can be done from the top.

Pentastar FCA engines are up top, VW TDI's, 90's Toyota V6 1MZFE too.

My Genesis sucks to change the oil on, it's a canister underneath but there's a bunch of splash shields underneath to remove.

The easiest is 5S-FE 2.2L Toyota engine used in mid 90s up to 01 Camry.
It is right there can be accessed from the top facing towards you.

The 3MZ-FE 3.3L Toyota engine is also accessible from the top but it is a little bit more difficult since there is a exhaust manifold cover above the filter but there is no need to go down under.

Our 07 toyota FJ.

IMG_20200531_104402.jpg

'55 Chevy, it didn't come with one! You had to buy a separate kit and install your own. Locate it any where you can fasten it.

Last edited:
my wife's ford focus...I could reach under about center front and get the filter

My MGB's all had a top filter, as did my 92 and 97 Camry.

Our Charger is on top of motor

However on the Tahoe & Z71 can do filter with no ramps or covers to deal with

I think we should divide this into three categories, not just two. A few of each in my limited experience, mostly family:

Worst: Requires lifting vehicle and crawling far under it:
2011 Prius, c. 1999(?) Nissan Sentra

Intermediate: Required crawling under nose of vehicle, but not lifting it:
1972 Subaru, 1964 Buick

Best: Can change filter without lifting vehicle or getting on the ground at all:
1981 Mazda GLC, 1966 F-100 I6, 1954 Chevy (required crawling under to reach drain plug), tractors

Back