2016 Overland Jeep Wrangler Oil/Filter

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by Since1941
Thank you for this! Do you feel the Fram Ultra is a good choice for this application? My Jeep is a 16 with 20,000 miles, so I still have some warranty. Don't want any dealer excuses if something abnormal happens.

From my point of view, the FRAM Ultra is the best filter for the price point and performance and will in no way impact your warranty. I have a 7 year/unlimited mileage warranty and am using them with no concerns.

Use a similar efficiency rated oil filter, to that of the factory version. Until the warranty expires, do not use a noticeably less efficient, or a noticeably higher efficient oil filter.

Fiat Chrysler is well-aware of Fram oil filters. If they wanted the most efficient at the factory, your Jeep would have wore a Fram Ultra instead of a Mopar filter that day of birth.

Okay. I have noticed the twisting with the Mopar. I see Champion has a new filter out. Even comes in some cool packaging, ha.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Use a similar efficiency rated oil filter, to that of the factory version. Until the warranty expires, do not use a noticeably less efficient, or a noticeably higher efficient oil filter.

Huh? Why would you not want the most efficient filter you can find?

Thank you for this! Do you feel the Fram Ultra is a good choice for this application? My Jeep is a 16 with 20,000 miles, so I still have some warranty. Don't want any dealer excuses if something abnormal happens.

From my point of view, the FRAM Ultra is the best filter for the price point and performance and will in no way impact your warranty. I have a 7 year/unlimited mileage warranty and am using them with no concerns.

Okay. How are you liking the Castrol in your Jeep? I've been considering Castrol and Royal Purple lately.

I like titanium add packs and Castrol has it as does Kendall. Though I have quite a bit of Castrol in my stash, I will be trying Kendall next. With that said, I do like the Castrol, and speaking only for me, if I were going to try a boutique oil, it would be Amsoil and not Royal Purple.

Okay. How are you liking the Castrol in your Jeep? I've been considering Castrol and Royal Purple lately.

I like titanium add packs and Castrol has it as does Kendall. Though I have quite a bit of Castrol in my stash, I will be trying Kendall next. With that said, I do like the Castrol, and speaking only for me, if I were going to try a boutique oil, it would be Amsoil and not Royal Purple.

With Castrol, I was looking at Magnatec and Gold bottle. Yes, not a lot of love for RP on here. I have noticed that.

With Castrol, I was looking at Magnatec and Gold bottle. Yes, not a lot of love for RP on here. I have noticed that.
Does your 3.6L specify xW-30 or 0W-20? In any event, Edge, Extended Edge, or Magnatec will serve you well.

I don't get all this (expensive) oil and filter fixation. I've yet to wear out an engine using cheap oil and cheap or OEM filters.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I don't get all this (expensive) oil and filter fixation. I've yet to wear out an engine using cheap oil and cheap or OEM filters.

No fixation. I was just thinking with my rig being so heavy, and the amount of overland use it will see, an oil that can handle that might be good. I am no expert at any of this. honestly. Always been an onlooker on this site. Want to keep the engine really clean inside, and healthy for years to come. That is all.

Does your 3.6L specify xW-30 or 0W-20? In any event, Edge, Extended Edge, or Magnatec will serve you well.

5w20

OP: don't listen to ANYTHING advice wise from 777. I have used a ton of Premium Guard cartridge filters and FRAM in Chrysler apps without issue.

777: you really are clueless aren't you? Why would a major fleet like my work use Premium Guard filters if they are junk? Please explain

5w20

Many times 0W-20 oils have better base oils than their 5W-20 counterparts, so you may want to consider those as well.

Rotella Gas Truck would be a good option here as well.

For a hard-running trail rig I'd use 5W-30, but that's just me, not going to get into the viscosity debate here.

Originally Posted by addyguy
Rotella Gas Truck would be a good option here as well.

For a hard-running trail rig I'd use 5W-30, but that's just me, not going to get into the viscosity debate here.

Thank you for the recommendation!

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
OP: don't listen to ANYTHING advice wise from 777. I have used a ton of Premium Guard cartridge filters and FRAM in Chrysler apps without issue.

777: you really are clueless aren't you? Why would a major fleet like my work use Premium Guard filters if they are junk? Please explain

Okay. I thought the Fram filters were rated pretty good now. I appreciate the clarification.

5w20

Many times 0W-20 oils have better base oils than their 5W-20 counterparts, so you may want to consider those as well.

Okay. Thank you for the help.

Since1941: I do anywhere from 1 to maybe 20~ oil changes a day as well as doing my job or
Mechanic. My neighbors 19' Jeep Cherokee I just put a FRAM cartridge in yesterday. Old FRAM cartridge was ok. Oil was M1 0w20 and she does 60/40 shorty trip to highway driving. She starts vehicle and pedal to metal.

No fixation. I was just thinking with my rig being so heavy, and the amount of overland use it will see, an oil that can handle that might be good. I am no expert at any of this. honestly. Always been an onlooker on this site. Want to keep the engine really clean inside, and healthy for years to come. That is all.

Sorry if I may have offended you. The statement wasn't particularity aimed at you. There are no "bad" API, ILSAC or ACEA oils out there. They are all good and will get the job done. Even in the grade the manufacturer recommends.

Sorry if I may have offended you. The statement wasn't particularity aimed at you. There are no "bad" API, ILSAC or ACEA oils out there. They are all good and will get the job done. Even in the grade the manufacturer recommends.

Oh, no offense taken. I do not get upset at internet forums. I am just here to learn, and see what people are doing. You are all good!

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Since1941: I do anywhere from 1 to maybe 20~ oil changes a day as well as doing my job or
Mechanic. My neighbors 19' Jeep Cherokee I just put a FRAM cartridge in yesterday. Old FRAM cartridge was ok. Oil was M1 0w20 and she does 60/40 shorty trip to highway driving. She starts vehicle and pedal to metal.

Thanks for the clarification. Ha, sometimes you have to watch out for those types! My wife has a lead foot, and in the Tesla, it's easy to forget the speed limit.

Hey, Guys. I just got back from Walmart and took some pics of a Supertech filter, and the Supertech full synthetic oil Seems like good prices. I am not sure who makes the filter, but it seemed well made. Furthermore, you will see pics of a Fram Ultra, Made In Korea, and looks very similar to. the ST. Also, I sent to Advance Auto and noticed this new Fram Titanium filter, which seems to be replacing the Fram Ultra name?

Anyhow, let me know what you think. The ST filter will have the yellow media, just incase the photos upload wrong.

Back