Sturmey Archer 3 Speed-Shifting?

I'm fixing up an older Vista bike with one of these hubs. Adjusting it has been a little tricky. In general, the hub is temperamental about shifting when you're peddling. It shifts fine, if you shift while coating, which is why I'm posting: are these things meant to be shifted while coasting, or is the condition I've described a symptom that something is still not right?

To set the shifter gearing right.
I would put the shifter in 3. Then gradually take the slack of the shifter cable till the small shifter chain just begins to move at that point back off the adjuster slightly and set the lock nut.

Last edited:
Yes to shifting while coasting. When I had one I'd adjust to get second gear about in the middle of the travel of the shifter. First and third then usually were OK.

Originally Posted by Variant_S
Yes to shifting while coasting. When I had one I'd adjust to get second gear about in the middle of the travel of the shifter. First and third then usually were OK.

I believe that is the way Sturmey Archer would advise. Yet the 3rd gear way always seemed easier for me

I had Raleighs with the SA 3spd. Constantly fiddling with that stupid adjustment.
grin2.gif

Yes, very fiddly! I think I may have it now.

Thanks for the replies.

I love the sound these hubs make. The clickety-clack is signature for them.

Originally Posted by andyd
I had Raleighs with the SA 3spd. Constantly fiddling with that stupid adjustment.
grin2.gif

Shifting can be done when coasting with pedals stopped, but when coasting with pedals turning forward lightly is even better. Shifting to a higher gear is always ok when everything is stopped. Shifting lower is ok when stopped if and only if it will go freely; just don't try to force it.

There are several easy ways to do that cable adjustment, all of which yield the same result.

1. With the shifter in the lowest "gear," adjust it so the shift chain can still be pulled slightly farther out of the hub without undue force.
2. With the shifter in the highest "gear," adjust it so there is only slight slack in the shift cable.
3. Placing the shifter about midway between the highest and middle "gears," should yield a neutral position (pedals turn forward freely with wheel stationary).
4. Notch on shift rod should align with end of the axle in the middle "gear." (May not work if parts have been replaced...)

I used to have a twist grip change on one of my bikes as a kid...but the lever was pretty good anyway.

Sturmey- Archer sure brings back child hood memories. I haven't seen or heard of those in many years.

Last edited:
Back