Akenono ProAct vs Akebono Performance vs Raybestos Element 3 EHT vs Wagner OEX

I drive livery cars in and around NYC logging 75000 miles a year. What is important to me is both pad life and pad performance. I want to minimize runs to the repair shop but I also demand the best performance because I want to avoid accidents.

I have used all of these pads professionally and here are my thoughts:

Akebono ProAct/OEM Akebono (Long Lasting Ceramic)- These are the longest lasting pads I have ever used. I typically got 40000 to 45000 miles on them in a severe service environment. The problem was stopping. The pads simply did not stop the car as well as other more aggressive pads. Another issue was a spongey peddle...a spongey overall feel. The Akebonos did not warp the rotors.

Wagner OEX- Although not the best in longevity and not the best in performance I settled on this pad. I felt it was the best "compromise" pad. It stopped better than the standard Akebonos but with a minimal hit to pad life. I typically got 35000 to 40000 miles from these pads. OEX is not the best in any one thing, but it is clearly an upgrade from the standard pad. OEX did not warp the rotors.

Akebono Performance (Sport Ceramic)- These were better than OEX at braking and feel. However I felt like the life was shorter than OEX. These did not warp the rotors.

Raybestos Element3 EHT- These had the best performance of the group. However they had the worst pad life...about 15000 miles...and they warped the rotors. I wondered if there was any difference between these pads and semi-metallic pads. Why not get actual semi-metallic pads? I guess less dusting with these pads.

One thing I wanted to note about the Wagner OEX pads is you must follow Wagners breakin procedure which is a series of stops to get the most out of them. There are some reviews out there where they state the pads have a weird feel. You need to break them in.

Last edited:
One thing I wanted to point out is I cant find any semi-metallic pads for the Toyota RAV4 which is a personal car in my household...however I can find the Raybestos Element 3 EHT. Thus if semi-metallics are not available and you want the best in performance for your vehicle the EHT pads will be the best to upgrade the brakes performance wise.

I am currently using the Wagner OEX Ceramic(CoF-FF) on the Altima in my signature. I installed them in April 2020 and I love'em. I didn't do anything in particular with the OEX as-far-as break-in. I just drove the car normally. These Wagner OEX feel same/similar as the Akebono ProACT Ceramic. The OEX does have a darker dust on the wheels than the Akebono however, the OEX have a great feel cold or hot.

Akebono ProACT Ceramic(when I used them), felt the closest to OE and even lasted as long(or not) as OE's, depending on application. I don't think you can go wrong with the Akebono ProACT but, IDK about the Akebono Performance???

I hear good things about the Raybestos Element 3 EHT but have not used them. I do in fact like every Raybestos brake pad that I have used otherwise.
smile.gif

I also have a 07 rav4 in NYC with the akebono proact pads. They really last a long time. I am still on the set of pads installed from 2013 and 70000 miles ago. Looks like it still has at least one more year left. And the rotors are also in prefect condition. Brake dust is almost none.

I installed some Wagner "OE spec" pads for my 4Runner 90,000 kms ago in 2013 and they are still going strong with about 40% material left. I figure I should be able to get another 30,000 kms out of them. This "OE Spec" brand appears to be exclusive to Canadian Tire and I'm assuming it's now rebranded to "OEX".

Thanks for the review. I've used Akebono ProAct pads on various cars and they are rotor-friendly, low dust & noise, and long-lasting. I did have a slightly mushy pedal after installing them on my Pilot but flushing the brake fluid fixed it.

Also, check out AAP Gold/Platinums. IMO, they're great 'sleeper' pads.

Currently using OEX on the wife's Expedition. This truck has a propensity for brake squeal and the OEX pads have been pretty quiet compared to the OEM, Wagner Thermo-not-very-Quiets, and O'rielly store brand pads it's had. The brake feel has been good and stopping power seems as good as or better than anything that's been on there, though it will never be a fast stopper.

I use only Raybestos Police rotors which were available for the Navigator, Suburban and the MKT. For the RAV4 they are not available so in that situation I got the next best rotor Raybestos had.

For the MKT I used Raybestos police semi-metallic pads for the rear and Wagner OEX for the front.

Last edited:
Back