Power washing your home

I buy a bottle of house wash from homedepot.
I reuse the bottle.

It's basically Clorox. The bottle siphons/meters the Clorox. I refill the bottle with Clorox and some tsp about a table spoon or so.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I reuse the bottle.

It's basically Clorox. The bottle siphons/meters the Clorox. I refill the bottle with Clorox and some tsp about a table spoon or so.

Is it safe for the plants? Thanks.

I quit power washing and started using a bright green bottled mold armor product. It is way quicker and just spray on surface with garden hose attached to the bottle and use a long brush to slide across heavy mold areas. no scrubbing. I cleaned the house and detached garage while my wife went shopping. She could not believe I did all that in 2 and1/2 hours and was sitting in the shade with sweet tea when she returned home.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
I reuse the bottle.

I've never had an issue with the plants, but mine are spaced away from the siding. Some I'm sure gets on them. I'm careful not to spray directly on them.
Some times if I think a lot got on them I rinse them with the hose.

Is your home single or 2 story?

I did have to get on my 6ft a ladder to spray from the bottle , to the top of the siding on my 2 story.

My new pressure washer has a tank , with a down steam 1/15 mix, so I can mix Clorox and tsp in that and apply with the extension wand and black nozzle.

Last edited:
I do it two ways. I used a power washer with plain water. On the north end of my house it gets mildew and mold and can look awful. Can't reach all of the areas way up with the power washer. I bought some Wet and Forget. Sprayed it on with a battery powered sprayer that I have. Took about a month to clean up and looked great. It has been two years and still looks good.

I reuse the bottle.

I've never had an issue with the plants, but mine are spaced away from the siding. Some I'm sure gets on them. I'm careful not to spray directly on them.
Some times if I think a lot got on them I rinse them with the hose.

Is your home single or 2 story?

I did have to get on my 6ft a ladder to spray from the bottle , to the top of the siding on my 2 story.

My new pressure washer has a tank , with a down steam 1/15 mix, so I can mix Clorox and tsp in that and apply with the extension wand and black nozzle.

Single story with high attic space. It takes my little giant fully extended to put Christmas lights up above my garage. Just to give you and idea.

Another vote for Wet and Forget
thumbsup2.gif

No scrubbing but results takes a little time to be fully realized.

Pool shock from Lowe's = stronger bleach. $4.00. Use that plus Gain liquid laundry detergent. Mix up in a foam cannon ($16) from amazon and spray on house. Let sit 5 min and wash off.

Just did my house last month. Pleased with results. I put a tarp over the plants and hosed them with water afterwards. All good. Foam cannon is a neat thing......

I use my pressure washer with just water on the gutters and eaves. My house is brick so other than that I have to do the deck, garage door, front entrance, and the back door and windows on the covered deck. For those areas I use Simple Green in a foam cannon. I'll sponge or brush anything that looks heavily solid and then rinse with the pressure washer. I never bothers the grass or landscaping. Tomorrow I'm giving Wet and Forget a try for the first time

I just rinse the siding off with water every couple of years. I think they call it 'soft washing'. Afraid of power washing, and using chemicals near plants.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I use Wet and Forget. Vastly superior than bleach based cleaners

I've heard its good, can you open the bottle and add it to a pressure washer soap tank?

Just finished applying the Wet and Forget. I used the hose sprayer and was pleased. I had to get out the step ladder to hit a spot that's about 35' but it easily reached everything else. I went ahead and did the garage door since I have some left over, the fan tip is nice. Now that it's dry it doesn't appear to have left any type of visible film, like dried soap. All in all it was a quick easy project. Now let's see if it works

Last edited:
What cleaner y'all use to power wash your home? Also something safe for the grass and plants?

The last time I cleaned my vinyl siding front that's triangle in shape at the top of the house, I waited until the grass, plants and shrubs went dormant in the first week of November.

By the time spring arrives and everything begins to wake up, all the cleaner has been washed away and removed. But I'm not sure if North Texas a frost season that's at least a few weeks or a couple months long.

Back