Toro SR Won't Stop Running

I've had a Briggs powered model 20055 since new in '06. It's been perfect until today when it wouldn't stop when I released the bail. Pushing the lever on the motor that the bail cable pushes forward didn't help. I finally had to pull the plug wire to kill the motor. Lots of YouTube videos on mowers that won't stay running but I couldn't find one that addresses not stopping.

Thanks for suggesting any things to check/adjust.

Yes remove the cover and trace the cable from the bail to the stop switch. Not sure about Briggs but on Hondas there is a ground wire from the coil to the ground switch. If there is one you can pull the ground wire off the coil, and use a voltmeter set to resistance in ohms. One contact on the ground wire and one on the block. It should say zero resistance with the bail released, and open circuit with the bail pulled into the running position. ( just tie it with a string if working alone.) Might be some crud on the switch.

Last edited:
Thanks to all. Yep, its the stop switch. It looks as if the plastic that the wire clips under broke off so the wire is not attached.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Sounds like a cheap repair . Congrats !

Best of luck to you . :)

Thanks!

I spent $1.99 for the switch stop and got a new primer bulb for $3.99. Starts on first pull and stops like new. Thanks again for the replies.
grin2.gif

Back